Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to spot an LSD ??
Richard Y

posted on 2/7/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
me buddy couldnt come for test drive today as he was on call instead we only went in his landy to get the rear axle assembly ! i shall post a pic in a bit... hehe suffice to say the rear axle hub nuts look well and truly on there someone mentioned further up a 41 mm socket ???? is that right as gotta get one from halfords tommorow?

got a snap on air impact gun of me mate kev (cheers buddy ) turns out though its a different conection to my cheapy netto compressor hopefully to be rectified on monday !

other than that looks ok im hoping that its all the right stuff!!! lol

Richard Y

posted on 2/7/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote

JoelP

posted on 2/7/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
it is indeed a 41mm socket. whilst you're shopping, you may as well get a hardcore half inch breaker bar - the air wrench probably wont work, a 10mm diameter short air hose would help, but mine isnt up for much looser bolts, never mind hub nuts. Its quite easy with 2 people and a long extension (at least 3 feet!). Make sure you get the thread direction right, as one is left handed. The last few threads should protrude through the nut, so its easy to se which is which.

ps, be careful having the cv joints pressed at a big angle, im sure its bad for them

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Richard Y

posted on 2/7/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
lol was only two of us and its damn heavy!! hehe its only like that today but i guess its the down side to getting second hand stuff eh hopefully though when i get it sorted tommorow striped to bits etc all looks good

got a breaker bar 3 foot job so should do the job but the snap on impact things meant to shift up to 500 nm apprently lol !!! so we shall see but ill give the bar a go tommorow

ill make sure i get the directions right

Liam

posted on 3/7/05 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Oh at least the diff is already free of it's bracket - that's something.

The trouble with a breaker bar is stopping the shaft just turning. Just persevere with the impact gun on it's highest setting. It may seem at first that it's not up to the job and wont move the nut at all, but each impact is helping and eventually it will spin off.

The near/passenger/left side is the one with the reverse thread - dont sit there for five minutes tightening it up!

Good luck

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 4/7/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Y
a 41 mm socket ???? is that right as gotta get one from halfords tommorow?

Halfords don't sell them any more, but you probably already found that out...

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Richard Y

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
lol yes mate got in there sunday and none in there lol indulged in some wd 40 and a hanynes for a sierra to make my self feel better

Richard Y

posted on 7/7/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
get in there

got it all disasembled, with out a 41 mm socket as well i shall let you all try and guess how looool

im curious how the hub i now have attachs to the space frame chassis ???

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.