Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff/Shafts etc - Drum vs Disc
Bryan Sears

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Marc will put it on the list of parts I will need from you. Bryan
MNRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

RichieC

posted on 8/11/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
What about fitting the Inner CV joint from a Lobro, to the standard shaft of a drum setup?

Rich Rescued attachment 3.jpg
Rescued attachment 3.jpg

Mr G

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that this was'nt possible due to the shaft diameter being different (Lsd Lobro thicker).

Are the shafts the same diameter on non-lsd lobros as tripod fitting? (All the lobro's I've dealt with have been from lsd back ends)

Cheers

G

[Edited on 14/11/05 by Mr G]

RichieC

posted on 15/11/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh, I was under the same impression but apprently not.

This comes from a bit of a guru over on the Sierra Forum

Rgds

Rich

Mr G

posted on 15/11/05 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Is that apparently not for the shafts being different diameters (I know for definate that the exposed part of the shaft is larger on lsd lobro than tripod) or for the non lsd compared to lsd lobro shaft diameter being different?

EDIT: Just seen THIS thread.

All I can think of is shaft size must taper down on the splined section of the lobro then to the same as the tripod spline??

Cheers

G

[Edited on 15/11/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RichieC

posted on 15/11/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the thread. Ive emailed Marty directly because the how to isnt accesible, and thats one of the photos from his how to.

Yeh, for all the shaft diameters are different, the splined section is not (with the exception of the Cosworth).

Im not entirely sure how easy the old joints will be to remove, as I dont have one in front of me, but I dont see much of a problem with a decent set of pullers (might even be bone idle and have the local garage do it)

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 15/11/05 by RichieC]

G.Man

posted on 15/11/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
it may fit on a 7 inch diff, but don't think so with a 7.5 inch diff...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

RichieC

posted on 15/11/05 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats the way I understand it.

I didnt get the 7.5" diff in the end, the bloke was a muppet so Ive got a 7" 4x4 cossie diff on the way.

Rgds

Rich

Flat Pack

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to bump this thread back to the top, but did you get anywhere trying to use the tripode outer joints and lobro inners with an LSD?

I've managed to get myself into a bit of a mess with some Golf rear calipers, I can't fit the brake banjo as it fouls the outer lobro joint. I've got an LSD so I can't swap to a complete tripode setup, but if I could change the outer one to a tripode then that'd solve my problem.

Thanks

RichieC

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nah not had a chance to do it myself, but it is a widely accepted procedure over on the Sierra Owners Forum.

With a bit of luck, Ill get the new joints at the weekend and get it done.

Rich

marc n

posted on 8/12/05 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
some of the larger drum braked shafts plug straight into the sierra disc diffs after you have removed the outputs
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 28/12/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update for anyone wanting to do this.
Finally got the time to fit the new joints. Bit of a pain as you need to get hold of a donor set of shafts if you intend to fit new joints because Ford dont sell the backing plates now and they dont come with the new joints.

All in all a good learning experience. Im happy there is going to be a bit of a weight saving but theyre not the easiest parts to source.

Just shout for any more info

Rgds
Rich Rescued attachment Shafts After.JPG
Rescued attachment Shafts After.JPG

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.