Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY central heating
Ferg

posted on 26/11/05 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
thats my point its all tested and cert,d by the plumber nothing is hidden so why shouldnt i have done it?

Sorry, I thought your point, and the point that I had queried, was that tradesmen charge more now because they are greedy......

I'll scroll back up in a minute and check, but I'm sure that's what you said and what I quoted..........

As for unvented systems, Carbon Monoxide aside, UHW is much more dangerous in the wrong hands than gas.... IMO, so where do we stop. Sadly, yes, a lot of us can do all these things safely, but it's the ones who can't who force the HSE into the position where they have to try to control it.

I just hope one day I'll read a thread about heating engineers andf plumbers that doesn't slag them off as a profession.....

froggy

posted on 26/11/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
ok il put my hands up to that ,i think its just me, im a bloke who cant stand not knowing how to do things, luckily i service my plumbers vans so he let me do most of the work myself but i still worked out from the prices i did get for plumbing the two houses i built that the guys were looking at 200quid per day for labour, im just glad its over now and i can start building the garage
JoelP

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
ferg, lighten up mate. Im not implying gas fitters are on the lash. Im a tradesman myself and fully expect an excellent wage for the quality work i do. If i regard £100+ per day as acceptable when i need almost no qualification or registration (besides electrics) then 200 is just fine for someone who has wasted so much time and money with corgi.

My point regarding central heating installation is that only 10% of the job is skilled labour - but the installer can charge the entire job as skilled labour, and pay a team of monkeys to do the pipe work and radiator hanging. Hence the amount of money left over for the boss. A bloke i was speaking to last week said he charged £1000 for the labour of installing a full system, and with 3 lads would get knocked off in a single day. Obviously they would be paid maybe 100 each, hence this chap was on a tidy living. There would be significantly less money for him if all the pipework was done by someone else. Nowt wrong with earning a good living

JonBowden

posted on 27/11/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if there are any regulations regarding how close central heating pipes can go to electrical wiring? For example, it is hard to stop pipes coming close to wires under the floor.

Jon

zilspeed

posted on 27/11/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Remember you'll need Scottish advice here - we have different regs for Building Control up here.

Have a look here

JoelP

posted on 27/11/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
i suspect that the onus is on the electrician, not the plumber! the on site guide gives tables to work out how much less current you can allow for if the wires get hot. If you avoid heat, insulation, clustering wires and cartridge fuses you can use some really simple guidelines. However, i doubt that they matter to the plumber.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.