Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what bike engine??????????
froggy

posted on 27/12/05 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
it would be interesting to see the comparison between say a zetec engined car with around 180bhp and a bec over the 1/4 mile to see just how much quicker the bike engine is
G.Man

posted on 27/12/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
ok il narrow it down a bit. most big bike engines make between 70-90 ftlb at near enough full rpm ,for example what does an r1 produce at 6000rpm?

just trying to get an idea of how the bec compares when not being driven in loon mode

Here we go again
When asking that you need to understand that just because you know the torque at the crank at a certain rpm, it gives you little idea of how the engine actually pulls at those revs. At 4-6k a bike engine may only produce 50-60lbft, but because its so low geared you get just as much torque at the wheels as a 100lbft car engine say at 3k rpm, so both will pull equally as well because its at the wheels where it matters, not at the crank.

exactly

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/12/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
it would be interesting to see the comparison between say a zetec engined car with around 180bhp and a bec over the 1/4 mile to see just how much quicker the bike engine is

A friend's ST Loco with ZX12 in it (so 180bhp too) has run several 12.5s standing quarters at ~115mph terminal, my car with a 130bhp carbed blade ran a 13.4s @ 105mph, and now with an R1 has done a 13.0 @110mph despite it being its first ever outing after being converted and in need of a dyno setup. All these were on a not hugely grippy runway with around 2.3s 60ft times, so could probably be improved a bit.

froggy

posted on 27/12/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
not too shabby then
arseface

posted on 27/12/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the Hayabusa engines that go pop are due to incorrect use, not the engine being weak. Nobody would run 500+bhp through the stock pistons, not a Kawa or Suzi or Yamaha but I see this on a regular basis, too small a turbo running 30psi on pump fuel and stock pistons, its a blow up just waiting to happen.

If you build the engine properly and fuel it properly then the busa will give 600+ for strip and be reliable needing a rebuild only every season.

So far the people who have tried to get a ZX12 to the same level have failed, cranks have failed and i have never seen a failed busa crank. Look at crank jornal sizes, busa is much bigger than zx12, theres no comparison. There is a racer using larger rod bearnings in a zx12 but he hasnt raced it yet.

The Kawa engine was built to give 180hp and the busa was built to give a lot more but Suzi never got round to it, poilitics probably.

G.Man

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt many people here will be going for 6-700 bhp turbo engines, they will be looking for high rpm thrashes round track days etc... The lighter crank of the kwack is then an advantage as it gives better pickup, especially once the balance shaft is removed...

When you are building a 6-700 bhp motor you are spending around £5000+ on replacement parts, pistons, rods, head bolts, stroker cranks, big bore blocks.. there is very little standard stuff left...

Both engines were designed for much higher power outputs, but they both succumbed to politics...

Do you have examples of people running 6-700bhp busas that only get a rebuild once a season????? or are they people running them once a season

[Edited on 27/12/05 by G.Man]

INDY BIRD

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well all this debating all i can say is i have a blackbird engine mk and my brother a zx12 and they both go like stink.

i out done a porche 911 on xmas day that put a big smile on my face as 10k versus 60k thats what its all about.

zx12 is a monster of a engine almost too much power for the road.

i must say the blackbird is a better drive on the road but once summer comes we will really get to test them.

as previosly said budget is the main answer to the question???

but get any bike engine you will be smilling all the way.

Genesis

posted on 27/12/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
HERE HERE

Going fishin'

OX

posted on 27/12/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
you can never have to much power i want more allready
G.Man

posted on 28/12/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
hehe ox

I ditched a sierra cosworth motor to go with the zx12r, I have a feeling there would have been too much torque if I had gone for the 350-400bhp I was looking for...

In a bike motor most of the power comes from RPM so you can look for more power without worrying as much about tearing the quaiffe reverse box apart etc... I think its 200 ftlb's thats the max isnt it?

I am certainly gonna be looking to add a big bore kit, billet clutch, maybe a stroker crank later on...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.