Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What would you put a Rover V8 in?
donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i do believe they fit nicely into mx5's, say no more Andy

Now theres a thought!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Glan Noye

posted on 12/2/06 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Simon, Rays pickup was built on a modified GTD40 chassis.It had a Ford 302, mid engined with a Renault UN1 transaxle. Ray used to own GTD Supercars. Scrutineers stopped him from racing it about five years ago because he was always on the grass! It was in our workshop for a while in 2002,I think he may still have it,I will ask him next time I see him. If he still has it I will take some pictures.
MkIndy7

posted on 12/2/06 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
if i had to use a rv8 for something i'd have a strange urge to pop one into a dolomite sprint!

There was a Dolomite Sprint with a Rover V8 shoe-horned in on the Elvington trackady with us on 16th July and it was constantly backwards and I didn't think it was really that quick. Probably too short and snappy.

Think i'd fancy a V8 Capri looking as plain as possible.

froggy

posted on 12/2/06 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
il accept that lots of modern v8,s bm chevrolet lexus do make much better power (out of the box)the problem being that the box also contains several miles of wiring ,various computers and more often than not an automatic gearbox

but the wheezy old 50,s technology is still the easiest route to v8 power

donut

posted on 12/2/06 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Well said Froggy!!

My next project will most probably be a kit car rather than a tin job. If you put V8's in 'normal' cars it opens a big can of worms (as well as your wallet!) with insurance.

How about a RV8 Stylus or Stylus RT?

The RT

[Edited on 12/2/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 12/2/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
in the rear of a mini pickup, serious answer....
seen it done a couple of times would love one myself.

A Land Rover mate has done a couple of mini's
Pievan and Mini Saloon

Got Mine in a Luego Viento.
I have always wanted a V8 sportscar.
My Luego

It gives an Automotive Audiosexual Experience. Which translates to: I just love the sound!.
RV8 is a cheap, simple engine, and gives reasonable power.
Look what you have to do to a 4 pot Ford to get 200+bhp. Thats almost achievable with a RV8 by doing nothing at all. Land RoverV8's are detuned and designed for torque.
The injected Range Rover produces 180 ish BHP as it stands. Put in a decent cam and you are over 200Bhp, for very little effort. Most RV8 cams are knackered at 80k miles, so need replacing anyway. Std parts are cheap, as long as you dont buy from Rover, Land Rover, Ri**ers etc
Real Steel, and Abbey Sportscars do well costed parts.

Also if you lower the comression using the Land Rover low comp pistons you can then Turbo it for more power.

It will produce a good power figure for not a huge amount of money.
OK if you want 4-500 Bhp, forget the Rover.
Its a good cheap starting point for V8 lovers.

If you want 500bhp then get a Chevy, or Ford V8.

Generally speaking:
After all you can get 350 Bhp from a 4 pot Cosworth... but at what expense? in comparison a RV8 would do it for less cash, and a Chevy as almost Std, and no extra money.
Its horses for courses, and depends on what you want, have how deep you pockets are.
My RV8, has Mallory Electronic dizzy (not twin points one), Weber 500 4 barrel carb, Viper hurricane cam, Rhoads Lifters, rebore, new pistons, rings, ALL new bearings, crank polished, mild head job, New oil and water pumps, rocker shafts...
ie basically is a new engine and cost me £1723 total. Whilst its more than I wanted to pay, but its a new engine now.

It will produce 200+Bhp, possibly more.
I even got some of the bits (new) off Ebay for good prices.

It will give me relaxed power, to get 200+ bhp from a 4 pot, you will need to push it and use all the revs and torque.
Thats OK, for you youngsters who want to impress the girls with a noisy fast car...

I want some power, and long distance cruising (NOT the meeting up with the Bling Brothers in some carpark at night sort of Cruising )

At the end of the day... it all depends on what you want, and everyone has different desires and pocket depths.

For decent power / fun I would go for a Hayabusa powered MK Indy... I am thinking of that for my next project.
Great combination, but sod that for driving 3-400 miles in a day!.. Give me the V8 Viento any day.

[Edited on 12/2/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Volvorsport

posted on 12/2/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
at that price ill have all the bits for above 400 bhp on my volvo engine , and it wouldnt take much extra to actually put it together , and get the hardware .

The Ls1 is a good engine to start with , there about 550 bhp in race trim , but last about 3000 kms . big power needs a supercharger .

the advantage is you can get stroker kits that take them up to 7 litres .

i think a an SD1 rover is a good place for the rover v8

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Jon Ison

posted on 12/2/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'm told they make good wine racks too, if you like your wine i guess you need a V12.

donut

posted on 12/2/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
And good coffee tables!!

It's got the Wine in there too !!!!!!

[Edited on 12/2/06 by donut]

Andy

froggy

posted on 12/2/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
the poor old girl is getting a bit of a kicking here i think a 250 hp v8 will be a much more pleasant drive than 250hp turbo 4cyl
ned

posted on 12/2/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
..my 4 cylinder will eventually have 250bhp, and it won't be turbo'd either

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

donut

posted on 12/2/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but it won't sound like a V8!!

Andy

froggy

posted on 12/2/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
i give up. bike engines are great turbos are great 4cylinder rev boxes are great im off down the garage with a sledgehammer to start again
donut

posted on 12/2/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel!!

Andy

Jasper

posted on 12/2/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
..my 4 cylinder will eventually have 250bhp, and it won't be turbo'd either

Ned.

And how much will it have cost you? Go on, tell us .....

As for my engine - it will be around 260-280bhp 4cly turbo for around £1600 including a gearbox that can handle it, and almost limitless tuning potential .... oh yea, and Japanese reliability

froggy

posted on 12/2/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
you forgot to mention the flat as a witches tit off boost part
minordelay

posted on 12/2/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Wilkingj on this one.

I know I was singing the praises of the LS1 but in the "very real" world I live in I'm never going to be pushing for those sort of figures, a rover pushing out an unstressed 200+ will be ideal for my needs and my budget.

Besides I NEVER wind the window down if I see/hear a hot 4 banger/turbo/gti etc coming, but if it's V8!!! The missuss thinks I'm mad.

Jasper

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
you forgot to mention the flat as a witches tit off boost part

You've obviously never been in a 200sx then, as these cars pull very well off boost with very progressive torque when the boost comes in - it's not all on and off like so many over turbo cars. That's the difference between Jap and British engineering

carcentric

posted on 13/2/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
We are not all race heads you know!
Some of us are getting old and would like to waft along on a sea of torque, maybe in one of these...

What is that? I, too, find it very appealing at my tender age (59 in two weeks).

As to what a BOP/Rover engine goes in, I'd say just about anything!

I owned a Triumph GT6 with that engine for several years - my problem was getting in/out, but once inside, wow! So, for a bit more room, how about putting one in a MG Magnette ZA/ZB.

Plus, I still have two bare blocks for a pair of those table bases . . . suppose they'd sell as such on eBay (for more than they'd sell for as engine blocks)?

donut

posted on 13/2/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's called a Royale Saber from Royale who don't exist any more. They sold everything to the Vintage Motor Company

http://www.vintagemotorcompany.co.uk/

They look really nice in 2 tone:
The one on the right...

Andy

froggy

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
any stock turbo engined car will be reasonable to drive off boost
Simon

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glan Noye
Simon, Rays pickup was built on a modified GTD40 chassis.It had a Ford 302, mid engined with a Renault UN1 transaxle. Ray used to own GTD Supercars.

Glan,

You're quite correct - my brain had a Microsoft Moment and forget the important parts, the needed rebooting

I do believe someone else owns it now!

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.