Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which kit? and insurance costs for 21 year old!
DelboyMatt

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
Caterhams still look very old fashioned most with massive headlights. which looks stupid

robin hoods dont look the best but are cheap

MK MAC1 and MNR are the way forward

but seriously the budget will need increasing for one

my MK R1 has cost me over 8k so far

theres lots of little things that add up that you dont think of pre build

I would be looking at a built one, so excluding things going wrong with it and little changes, I dont anticipate doing much to it!. Also I would be looking at something more like a 2.0, rather than a R1 based car.

My friend used to race Caterham 7's and that was only a 1.6 K Series, but had a good turn of speed. Ideally as a compromise I would like something with a C20XE slotted in the front but I know I will probably be looking at pinto terrority for the money I want to spend!

zxrlocost

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
delboymatt if you decide to get one whatever it is itll be great fun just keep your eye out for your budget range and see what comes up!
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

joetait

posted on 21/2/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Check your facts before posting

I suggest you check your facts before ranting and frothing at the mouth!
ZX6R G2 official top speed, not just my own vague estimate is 168MPH, and MCN verified 0-60 is 3.1 seconds from a standing start.

Also, the guy clearly states that he doesnt want to build a locost, he simply want to buy a prebuilt one of some varient.

DarrenW

posted on 21/2/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Joetait - sounds like youve been reading the book 'How to win friends and influence people'. I was going to go off on a rant but its not worth it. Please dont alienate the community by a few ill used words.

At the end of the day this site is for the locostbuilders whose ingenuity is certainly applauded by me. I treat my membership as one of a guest in awe of their skills and feel priviledged that im allowed to use their knowledge base. Iam a self confessed chequebook builder and wouldnt for a minute dream of making such bold and derogatory statements.

What does P.O.S. mean by the way????
What are you building?

[Edited on 21/2/06 by DarrenW]

joetait

posted on 21/2/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Always enjoy a good flaming.....

I just finished building a Dax Rush which I dropped a carb'd R1 engine in - Dax certainly wouldnt be classed as one of the finest quality manufacturers in the world, but it is one of the better se7en clones out there.
None the less, the end result is very much dependant on the skill and quality put into the build not just the raw kit.
(However the old adage 'you cant polish a turd' comes to mind when you consider the quality of many kits I've seen!)

flak monkey

posted on 21/2/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
POS = Pile Of Shit

I would rant, but I cant be bothered as Mark said what I would have. But if you are going to come on here as a new member, keep your abusive views to yourself, otherwise when you want help, you wont find many willing to help you out.

I am planning on building for around £3.5-4k. And thats from a kit. Currently I am on budget, and the planned spending is looking like it might go to just over £4k. Yes it will have a smokey old engine in, but it will still leave most production cars standing and be a lot of fun to drive as well. OK so I can make various bits at home and have access to some good scrap yards which is a huge bonus, but a with budget of £3k you CAN build a very nice car, which will probably keep up with your expensive Dax and for 1/3rd the price. Its all about what and who you know

As for the point of this thread... As others have said, its unlikely you will get a completed car for £4k, but it depends how nicer example you want, you could pick one up for about £3k (that will be a proper Locost though) that needs some work doing to it, but it would get you on the road until you could afford to upgrade it.

David

[Edited on 21/2/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jon Ison

posted on 21/2/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joetait
(However the old adage 'you cant polish a turd' comes to mind when you consider the quality of many kits I've seen!)

Name n shame em then.........

chrisg

posted on 21/2/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoy driving my pile of shit.

for some reason nobody told the car it wasn't supposed to be fun.

So keep it to yourselves if you're within earshot of the blue thing.

I don't want her to find out.

Cheers

Chris

joetait

posted on 21/2/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
name & shame....

Lets start off with the Tiger kits shall we....
I went over to their 'shed' next to the service station in Cambs to take a look at their BEC version at one point...... some of the worst fabrication I've ever seen!

Ok, signing off for good now guys - sorry to have expressed my honest opinion earlier on; I didnt realise that political correctness had reached as far as the bowels of the kitcar forums......

Whatever you've got, make the most of it and enjoy it before we all get Red taped off the road! Driving seems to be considered todays greatest evil both by those governing us and those policing us.......

flak monkey

posted on 21/2/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Its not really a case of political correctness, more a case of offending a few people for what seemed like no good reason.

Its not a good idea to generalise and slag off all home built cars on a forum where the majority of the members have scratch built their cars...thats all.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jon Ison

posted on 21/2/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
goodbye, don't think you will be missed too much.

john_p_b

posted on 21/2/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
goodbye, don't think you will be missed too much.
amen to that

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Peteff

posted on 21/2/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm missing him already......

like diarrhea or toothache . A little constructive criticism never did any harm did it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/2/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tone and general demeanour very similar to 'Considerably'? Have we just been had?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

joetait

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
;-)

Jon Ison

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I see your not a "man" of your word then..................

Hellfire

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think Mr Tait has the knowledge, intellect or tact that 'Considerably' has.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.