Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lessons from TOL
chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's all well and good to say "if you don't like it don't read it" but you don't know if you don't like it till you've read it!

Most of the sites I'm a member of go through periods where certain members make complete chumps of themselves. I'm frankly amazed that LCB doesn't have mods as it's a big site, it just shows how adult us kids are!

Moderation is often a necessary evil and it all depends on how good the moderators are as to how much they affect the site. The biggest secret to it is not letting your personal feelings get the better of you when deciding to chop a post.

The biggest things pita for a mod is moving threads to the correct areas to keep things more on topic.

The recent threads that most are thinking of got to the stage where a simple u2u from a mod to both parties could have cooled the situation massively. I'm all for people airing grievances, especially trader related ones, but there does need to be a modicum of sense as things said in the heat of the moment could easily be taken as libelous and our little community could unfortunately be yanked out from underneath us.

Phew, after that essay (if it makes sense) I'll get off my soapbox and go hide in the corner

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ha !

Nostalgia!!

Anybody remember "Wally"?

If anybody ever lived up to his user name it was him.

I was banned for daring to speak to some of my mates and "not the entire group".

To be honest some of that group , I wouldn't spit in their face if their moustache was on fire.

I joined up here straight away and I've been here since, in fact I don't think that anyone who currently posts (except ChrisW) has been here longer than me.

This is because I'm sad and have no life.

I'd go along with the "ignore what you don't like" line.

Cheers

Chris

TheGecko

posted on 28/4/06 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild
If you don't like a topic, don't read it.

The advantage of a bulletin board styled group like LocostBuilders is that you can ignore a topic reasonably easily. On a mailing list (like TOL) everyone who is subscribed gets EVERY message, whether they want it or not. So if a few members start batting stupid comments back and forth between themselves, a few thousand list members are expected to just ignore it. An incident exactly like that was (as I see it) the straw the broke the back of TOL. After a long period of complaints from many members about Off-Topic discussions, a series of increasingly inane messges went to-and-fro between 2 or 3 people until someone complained. Rude words were exchanged (probably in jest/misunderstanding) and it deteriorated VERY quickly. Anyone interested can go back through the Yahoo archives (linky) and see the exchange played out, starting at message 37167, and then accelerating through messages 37185-37201.

I think someone made the simile at the time (although I can't find the message after a quick search) that a board like LB is a little like a bunch of seperate conversations in a pub, where you can choose to stand on the edge and listen or even join in. On a list like TOL, it's like everyone in the pub has a megaphone and is shouting their comments at everyone else. That requires that the speaker have a degree of common sense and courtesy and once that is forgotten things can get very ugly, very quickly.

Perhaps it was just a personalities thing because the North American and Australian locost lists on Yahoo are still extent and doing well - the NA list in particular has a lot of good, on-topic discussion (much, but not all, specific to their requirements). There have been a few arguments, including a quite notable one in the last few weeks which culminated in one member throwing his toys out of the pram and leaving

So, if there are lessons to be learned from the "demise" of TOL, it's that written communication is imperfect at best and a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way. If you're going to write something contentious, stop and think about whether you would say it to someones face in that tone. If not, then reword it or just don't say it.

Best regards,

Dominic

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.