Poll: DNA [View Results]
Yes it would help stop and solve many a crime.
No way.
Jury's still out for me on this one.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DNA
clockwork

posted on 5/10/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
No. No. No.
We all know how good the government are with data.

DaveFJ

posted on 5/10/06 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
The Police already have the largest DNA database in the world! They have the right to take (by force if neccessary) DNA samples from anyone they arrest regardless of if they are charged and that DNA test remains in the database forever.

Can anyone say 'Police state'

There is a gradual erosion of our civil liberties and basic freedom. Unfortunately the apathetic, mouth breathing, Sun readers of this nation will not notice it until it's to late !

I urge you all to read 'The Traveller' by John Twelve-Hawks, It may be a work of fiction but it will open your eyes to the 'database state' we now live in.....

<let the flaming begin>

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/10/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
You lot may not be Christians, and probably far from it, but you might want to pick up a Bible and read Revelations.

A chip under the skin of your wrist or between the eyes above your nose, is now a reality. And there's an eastern european country already 'chipping' babies literally before the cord is cut, 'to eradicate child dealing'.

Put the Revelation stuff into a modern day context, and most of it is already in place, or possible. Could be another 1000 years or so before the end comes though. Or could be tomorrer.

Regards,
Syd.

JoelP

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
my dad was telling me this 15 years ago syd, funny how it comes true! He said that the implant (synonymous with the mark of the beast wasnt it?!) would be used it persecute people, which seems a remarkable prediction for 2000 years ago.
DaveFJ

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with quoting Revelations is non christians then find the argument to easy to dismiss.

I am in no way knocking anyones faith but I think that to get the point across about how serious a threat this poses to our way of life, you need to reach the widest audience.

Dave

ch1ll1

posted on 5/10/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
SO if we all agree about the dna test what next?

bar code on the back of our necks?
usb plug on our wrist?
16pin eobd plug where the sun dont shine

DavidM

posted on 5/10/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
JUST SAY NO!

There have been a large number of arrests lately based on DNA, which have been just wrong.

A schoolboy who's DNA was mistakenly taken when he was a WITNESS to a crime was then arrested months later for a Post Office robbery. He spent three days in custody because the police were convinced that he was guilty, as his DNA was found on one of the items stolen and recovered.
Turned out the item was a letter that he had posted!
The danger is that DNA means guilty until proven innocent, which is not the way this country should work.
Everybody talks about 1 in 2 squillion etc., but it is quite possible your DNA double could be living next door.

I've never been arrested or even questioned by the police, so I have nothing to hide, but my DNA is mine and I'll not let anyone take it without a fight.

David

Proportion is Everything

02GF74

posted on 5/10/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
can't see how it wil make much difference to preventing crime, after all you'd have thought the electric chair would be a deterrent but does not appear to be by the noumber of folks sitting on death row.

it would help is solving crimes for sure.

Now if there was an incentive, say you got £ 1k for submitting - then I may be swayed - after all. how much money would be saved investigating crimes? surely that should be passed back to the public instead of lining the governments poclkets to fund more disaterouts IT profject?

wilkingj

posted on 5/10/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I DONT agree with Taking DNA and holding registers etc..

Criminals make this a necessity, not law abiding citizens.

IMHO, you should have DNA taken, then Chipped, and a Verisign Digital certificate issued at birth. These would then form your personal identity details for life.

Remember whilst you are all moaning about this sort of thing.
If everyone were law abiding people and there would be no crime, NONE of it would be necessary.
However, the world is just NOT like that. Is it?

Edit:
The banning of guns from being held by law abiding citizens has done NOTHING to reduce gun crime and shootings. In fact the incidents have risen.
Its the Criminals who are responsible NOT everyone else!

[Edited on 5/10/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 6/10/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nanny state, Police state. I dont want to be part of it.

It's (was anyway) my right to be silent until proven otherwise. they are trying to remove that right.

As I said earlier, I wnat to get on with my life, be entitled to give my opinion and be anonymous. That is all being eroded away slowly and it all started with some old bird called Thatcher.

I hope she dies a horrible death after the way she treated working class people in this country.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Personally I would be happy too have mine on a data base, think it would help solve many a sex crime too, cant be a bad thing can it ?

Do you realise what you have posted here?????????
How many sex crimes have you committed?

Personally i think it is a good idea. I pride myself in leading a honest lifestyle. Nothing to hide so sounds good. Im sure it would be a good deterrent. Im all for the low life getting there cumupence. Shame there wasnt a good way to get all bill dodgers to coff up as well to reduce our outgoings (tax, insurance, benefit fraud etc etc etc etc )

DarrenW

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Personally I would be happy too have mine on a data base, think it would help solve many a sex crime too, cant be a bad thing can it ?

Do you realise what you have posted here?????????
How many sex crimes have you committed?

Personally i think it is a good idea. I pride myself in leading a honest lifestyle. Nothing to hide so sounds good. Im sure it would be a good deterrent. Im all for the low life getting there cumupence. Shame there wasnt a good way to get all bill dodgers to coff up as well to reduce our outgoings (tax, insurance, benefit fraud etc etc etc etc )

gazza285

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
it all started with some old bird called Thatcher.

I hope she dies a horrible death after the way she treated working class people in this country.

Jesus please us........

Was that the same working classes that were bleeding the country dry?

I work in the steel and coal industry now, and if you think that the pre Thatcher way of having twenty thousand tax subsidised union members doing the job that two thousand honest working class people could do better is still the way foward then you are in a small minority. Was the "death" of the coal mines such a bad thing? There was no way we could compete with the import coal industry, so the British pits were stockpile, not abandoned, until it became (or will become) viable to reopen them. Hatfield is reopening, there's talk of Grimethorpe opening again, and UKCoal are turning a profit now as well. Corus are investing a shed load of money in Scunthorpe while still trying to catch up with years of neglect under British Steel. I didn't notice "New" Labour reinstating the nationalised industries, is that because they now understand that nationalised industry just can not compete with the global economy? And they also seem to have (nearly) broken the link with the unions. I wonder why.

Sorry for the rant, I have to work with a large majority of ex pit men who still harp on about how good it was doing feck all and sleeping underground while the sub-contrators did the hard graft, and how it galls them to actually have to do a bit now and then.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 7/10/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
And another thing, you can't have my DNA.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

pbura

posted on 7/10/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
You know, if you give information to government, they're going to have to DO something with it. And of course, it will be shared with their brethren, the universities, who will give them plenty of ideas.

Even 40 years ago, when I was a lad, schools slotted children in classes based on IQ tests alone. So what will government do with a full genetic scan? Um, determine what sort of education and work you're good for, what medical treatments would be a wise "investment" for you, whether you should have children, etc., etc., etc. Use your imagination; they will!

Also, I can see how certain large groups of people could be exempt from testing because (a) such tests could be deemed "discriminatory", (b) they are "undocumented workers", or (c) their "religion of peace" forbids it.

Pete

coozer

posted on 7/10/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Sorry for the rant, I have to work with a large majority of ex pit men who still harp on about how good it was doing feck all and sleeping underground while the sub-contrators did the hard graft, and how it galls them to actually have to do a bit now and then.

Yes gazza I get your point, we still laugh about getting some shut eye on the 'pig'

But that doesnt mean closeing them all down. In them days everyone was at the union business, council workers, firemen, everybody. That was the climate we were in at the time.

When I left school in 1981 Thatcher had just abolished the apprentise scheme which meant I couldn't go after the job down the mine I wanted. And before you go on about other industries, there wasn't anything else in my town. The town existed because the mine came first. Thatcher destroyed our way of life, the community spirit disappeared and we had a HARD time. I ended driving buses, for gods sake.

Your marra's, and mine too, who go on about how easy it was could have been dealt with. But it was a national industry and the goverment didn't give 2 hoots about it. All Thatcher wanted was revenge for the 1974 strike and she exacted that revenge totally. Where once we had the biggest coal industry in the Uk we now have ZERO mines employing no people.

And when she pumped the interest rates up to 17% she took my home away from me as well.

I hope she rots in hell...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 7/10/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, nearly forgot, they still not getting my DNA signature....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DaveFJ

posted on 9/10/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
You know, if you give information to government, they're going to have to DO something with it. And of course, it will be shared with their brethren, the universities, who will give them plenty of ideas.

Even 40 years ago, when I was a lad, schools slotted children in classes based on IQ tests alone. So what will government do with a full genetic scan? Um, determine what sort of education and work you're good for, what medical treatments would be a wise "investment" for you, whether you should have children, etc., etc., etc. Use your imagination; they will!

Also, I can see how certain large groups of people could be exempt from testing because (a) such tests could be deemed "discriminatory", (b) they are "undocumented workers", or (c) their "religion of peace" forbids it.

Pretty much the plot of the film 'Gattaca'....

It's not the best film ever made but worth watching and does show a pretty bleak future for us all!

Dave

NS Dev

posted on 9/10/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
JUST SAY NO!

There have been a large number of arrests lately based on DNA, which have been just wrong.

A schoolboy who's DNA was mistakenly taken when he was a WITNESS to a crime was then arrested months later for a Post Office robbery. He spent three days in custody because the police were convinced that he was guilty, as his DNA was found on one of the items stolen and recovered.
Turned out the item was a letter that he had posted!
The danger is that DNA means guilty until proven innocent, which is not the way this country should work.
Everybody talks about 1 in 2 squillion etc., but it is quite possible your DNA double could be living next door.

I've never been arrested or even questioned by the police, so I have nothing to hide, but my DNA is mine and I'll not let anyone take it without a fight.

David

I completely agree.

In a perverse analogy, look at the proliferation of speed cameras as an "automatic" catcher of "criminals".

Look at the wrong convictions that this system has brought about by their thousands.

If the system was used purely as an aid to current policing, then it would be a good one. BUT I fear it will be used as a substitute for good policing, and incorrect convictions will result from its misuse!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jolson

posted on 12/10/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
DNA... no way

I lived on a boat for 10 years, off the grid, no fixed address, no phone, no bills, & almost untraceable. It's nice.

It's scary how much information I've given up about myself in the 10 years since. If it wasn't for keeping a roof over the children's head, I'd be pulling the plug again in a heartbeat.

Information is power, and I see little coming from the government (this government, the last government, the next government) that isn't an abuse of power. Why give them a stick to beat you with?

Cheers

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.