Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine choice
Volvorsport

posted on 22/10/06 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I know this doesn't answere your question directly but I have been thinking seriously about a 1900 cc Volvo T4 turbo motor - light weight, cheap as chips second hand, easy to fit, tons of torque and easy to extract 250 hp from.

music to my ears altho go one cylinder better and youll have Audi type soundtrack , plus a std reliable 250 bhp .

adapter plates for rwd gearboxes are plenty availablbe and if youre mad enough - the straight 6 (t6) will bolt straight on .

Even in NA form these engines won the BTCC championship, they cant be that bad !! - for the price of your engine tho sir ill have a whole older volvo as a donor vehicle and the same power to boot .

i like your thinking

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Hellfire

posted on 22/10/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjoebob
I disagree that bec 7s are better for their sound track.

Bike engines, like modern f1 engines, sound crap compared to big capacity car engines.

How is that for bait?

Where's the bait?? You're entitled to your own opinion even if it is totally wrong. I suggest you go to your GP and have the wax removed from your ears.

Phil

Ivan

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
My thinking is that if you want a V8 sound track and grunt (and who doesn’t) build a Cobra and fit a larger V8 - if you want a finely poised driving machine build a Locost as light as you can and put decent power in it. If you go V8 you then have to start fitting wider tyres and stronger everything upping costs and weight in a vicious spiral and owning something that’s a compromise chuck ability wise.

The other thing is how will you use the car - if its a few thousand kms a year of manic driving in the twisties, a BEC is the way to go - light, responsive and fast AND a sequential gearbox - who cares about the sound, although I think it sounds good - the possible downside is longevity.

A good compromise is a 250 hp 4 cylinder motor that is reliable, light, and long lived that’s good for commuting, manic driving and cruising but maybe lacking a bit in street cred although the sheer performance should soon change that - see my previous reply.

I am fitting a Blacktop 1600 20V Toyota motor (to my way of thinking a semi bike engine) in my Locost but I would change to the Volvo motor if I didn't have so much invested in the blacktop.

Another cheap light motor worth considering is the Nissan 2 litre turbo motor.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.