Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft connection question...what have I bought?
Zaphod

posted on 14/11/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why not give Vide Bilservice a call.
What he does not know about Volvo running grear is not worth knowing.

http://www.videbilservice.se/

hillbillyracer

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about the torque load on the gerarbox thing, the output of any box has to take the input torque multiplied by whichever ratio is selected.
If you take the torque limit of your gearbox & multiply it by the 1st gear ratio that it would normally have you will get an idea of how much torque can be applied straight through in 4th gear (If I'm wrong here would somebody please correct me).
I cant see the bearings letting go, more like the dogs on the gear or the splines somewhere.

Fredrik Jönsson

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
That should be true if you rev the engine to the rpm for the max torque. When you are up there the car will be rolling and you will run past it quite fast and it will not be a constant load. For the R1 it is 108 Nm at 8500rpm.

Fredrik, Sweden

DEAN C.

posted on 25/11/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It may well work ok though if you kept the type 9 in 4th (it is 4th thats a direct drive in a type 9?) whilst having fun, leave 5th for cruising & reverse for, well you work it out!

This sounds like an excellent concept to gaining higher gearing and I have actually discussed this in the past as an option with Martin Keenean, who had considered the type 9 for a BEC although this might have beeen in a rear wheel drive,but the principal is the same.
Why not make a gate to stop the use of 1st 2nd and 3rd and as already suggested use 4th normally and 5th as an overdrive with reverse as you need it.

This could be a good option for using cheap CBR1000F engines which are a superb engine but low geared,and usually sell for about £300 complete with loom and electrics.(I've just bought a complete low mileage CBR for £600).

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Fredrik Jönsson

posted on 25/11/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I just got my hands on a Volvo m40 gearbox and it only weigh 20kg. That is 10kg less then the typ9.
No fifth gear so the overdrive ideas stay with the typ9 but I will still get my reverse. There are plenty of m40 here in sweden...

Fredrik, Sweden

Fredrik Jönsson

posted on 26/11/06 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Picture of the m40 gearbox...

Case about 30cm and 20kg without oil.

Fredrik, Sweden

ReMan

posted on 26/11/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Can you do a better picture or two for us to see?
That certainly looks quite compact....

Fredrik Jönsson

posted on 26/11/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go. I used a MK chassi for size reference.

This one I got for free. It has been sitting outside without the lid on for several years but is still looks ok inside. The oil has protected it. As it looks I do not even need a gearshift. Just put a handle on the activators that sticks out at the top rear...

Here is a picture from a norweigan locost builder that made a support bearing for the ingoing shaft.

Rune Naess1

Rune Naess2

Fredrik, Sweden

ReMan

posted on 26/11/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job..........

Do you kkow what the ratio in/out is in 4th and 5th gears?

Fredrik Jönsson

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Since it is a gearbox from the 60thies unfortunately it is only a 4-gear box, but it is also avaliable with electronic overdrive as well (mounted at the rear end). Fifth is then 0,76 or something. 4th is 1:1.

Fredrik, Sweden

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.