Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Testing the water - might be selling my Indy
andybod

posted on 2/12/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
live in eastern european nanny pay her peanuts washes cook's cleans etc might even be a bit of eye candy save £££££'s on child care and finish the mk wife might not be so keen though
Danozeman

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My wife's pregnant and I can't see a way I'm going to finish the car for a long time now, so might as well not have it torturing me that it's so close, yet so far from being on the road!

Mate. My girl is 7 months old now and iv managed to keep my car, Youl loose loads if you sell it. I just spend when i have some spare. Youl finish it in the end..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
£500 a month in childcare?

Send us the kid and the money, you can have him/her back at weekends

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

greggors84

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
You will be lucky to get anywhere close to what you have spent on bits. Even when they are finished people only sell them for what they built them for. Its the way it seems to be at the moment.

I would say 3k with the R1 maybe a little bit more depending on specs of brakes, running gear and other bits.

This is just a rough guess though from what I have seen part finished cars to go for.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Catpuss

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Send us the kid and the money, you can have him/her back at weekends

SWMBO is a registered child minder. Trust me round the midlands they earn fsk all for what they do.

StevieB

posted on 3/12/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
We had been considering for Chief of Staff, Domestic Operations to register and look after a few kids to make staying at home a possibility - it'd have to be 3 kids at £25 a day though, and that's probably a big deal when you're trying to get used to having a child of your own for the first time!

The other option is her best friend (who is pregnant by about the same time - must have been a bad TV night in York!), who isn't going back to work, to register and look after my kid - that way I could still take advantage of the childcare vouchers through work.

zxrlocost

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
steve I have U2U'd you mate
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

DarrenW

posted on 4/12/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, everybodies circumstances are different. I too am one of those who managed to build the car whilst pregnancy (swimbo - not me!!!!) and young kids were abound. It wasnt easy but i managed. I opted for a cheaper power plant to try and kep individual costs down and then just spent pocket money when i could. It just took more research and time fabricating bits.

The build kept me sane. I was still near the house so available for those little domestic emergencies. Now have a car that my 4 yr old loves and i can enjoy as my little toy.

If you dont need the cash that the car would generate then i would vote to keep it and just slow the build down. You could always sell the bike engine kit and opt for something cheaper unless you have gone too far down the installation road. I know it wont be the same without the bike engine but at least you will still have something quick that not many others have. The problem with this site is too many others have the same cars so its nowt special to build one (perception etc). However in reality they are still rare and it is a huge achievement to build and drive your own car, conversely letting an unfinished one go is just too unbearable.

It kind of depends now if Chief of Staff is for or against the car. If for then the odd fiver here and there wont be noticed. If against a penny could spark WW3!

Hellfire

posted on 4/12/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
If I were you, I'd flog it all and start again some time in the future. If money and time is going to be a bit tight for the forseeable, you don't want to have cash tied up in parts to build a car. It could be a source of resentment and ultimately even percieved as a bit selfish IMO. Sell it off in bits and you may eventually get your money back. It will take longer but I reckon you'd lose a lot less than if you flogged it as a package.

I'd also wait a while before you go freelance, particularly if you've got a regular 9 to 5 and you're not working too far away. I think it's important to be close to home, particularly during the early years of your childs life. There's plenty of time to achieve your goals and ambitions and your salary can't be too bad already

Phil

pawgrp

posted on 12/12/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Will u be able to claim working families tax credit to help towards child care?
StevieB

posted on 13/12/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much not - you can get an assessment through the Inland Revenue website and iit came up with £74 a year allowance.

Both myself and my wife have had payrises since then too!

Not to worry though, got everything squared away so that I'll be able to keep my car, finish it in a reasonable time and give my pending little tyke all the best things that I can (which is the most important thing to me)

Panic over!

nick205

posted on 14/12/06 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was in the same position this time last year - new house (mortgaged up to the limit) and baby on the way (born xmas day).

I decided to keep the car as it just wasn't worth selling it at that point. The new house, new baby and new mortgage have all slowed me down considerably, but then I wasn't going that quick before

At 2 months the nipper was sleeping through and I had a lot of evenings in, which lent themselves nicely to tinkering with the car. It's pretty much ready for SVA in Jan and then n the road for the spring.

Glad to hear you've worked it out and good luck with finishing it. Most of all best of luck with the impending arrival - hope all goes well for you, the wife and the bairn (it's an amazing time)

Zero 7

posted on 15/12/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I always find that I am still as skint weather I bought the thing i wanted or did not ... but sometimes I am as skint but with a kit car in the garage ... If that make sense.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.