Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK chassis design
DEAN C.

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi is the Mk sprint allowed in to any of the race championships that we race in.

MMmm!
Think someone is getting their companies mixed up,as the sprint is made by Martin (MK engineering),this subject is to to with MK sportscars I thought??

Perhaps the slagging off other companies first before you realise all the facts is ok with some but it smacks of petty bitching to me,not very profesional is it.

I have'nt seen the car or wishbones so i'll refrain from commenting!!perhaps others shouldn't shoot from the hip too!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

john_p_b

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
if the above last few statements are correct and the wishbones aren't actually mk items and therefore non of this is actually mk sportscars fault then i do hope procomp will be issuing a full appology to mk.

however if the above last few statements turn out to be incorrect then please feel free to ignore this post

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

andrews_45

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wooooaa!!! there chaps, this appears to be getting well off topic. In terms of moving the bracket in question, no mountings have been moved, the bottom ones have been widened on one mount to allow the bottom wishbones to fit in. The picture in question was me trying to offer up a old pair of Luego ones that I got off ebay. The suspension geometry has not altered since it left the MK factory on 30/03/06, It also has Mk Locost wishbones fitted.

Back to my original point, I was trying to acertain why my suspension has zero castor and if it is correct. Any research that I have found states that I need some incorporated castor, whereas MK say I dont. The reason why I need to sort it out now is because you cannot use adjustable top wishbones in the 750mc race series.

This then leaves me with two options...

1) My Locost race car will not need the castor - I leave everything as it is
2)I change the top wishbones to accomodate the castor.

The only thing that makes me think it might be an inbuilt design issue is when I hear of other people having difficulty with self centering on their cars (a quirk of poorly set up castor).

And yes I was told on the phone that none of the Locost race cars have the castor

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrews_45
Wooooaa!!! there chaps, this appears to be getting well off topic. In terms of moving the bracket in question, no mountings have been moved............. The suspension geometry has not altered since it left the MK factory on 30/03/06.........

So what happened here????

Phil

DEAN C.

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think anyone has thought that you were causing a fuss! someone else has done that!

Does seem strange that no castor is built in though.

I would think you might be as well clarifying things with Martin himself at MK engineering who was responsible for building some of the early cars for Ron Champion.He will know if the castor was built in or not,althogh obviously Martin does not run MK sportcars now.

andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Right, this is going in a tangent. Back to my original point. As I have said this is a 750mc Locost race car.

Initially I had a set of Luego bones and the 'rear' bottom wishbones mounts were replaced with wider ones that would accomodate the Luego bones.

The front mount has NOT been moved and has stayed in the same position, the rear mount has been replaced with a wider one that would allow the luego bones to fit in. Therefore the suspension geometry has remained EXACTLY the same and not altered from how it was on day one.

Fitted now is a set of MK locost wishbones utilising 3 of the original mounts and one wider one (to accomodate the Luego ones), as you can see that the geometry remains identical.

Oh, and just if it aint been clear here is my car sat with my MK bones

andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Please, can somebody please tell me do i need any castor. And if so, how much?
andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, you have a short memory. I did the same over a year ago when you helped me

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=29195

andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
well appologies then if we met then why not believe me and why listen to other people who know nothing of mk and their products why are you now not as impressed as the day you came to us ?(or mk sportscars as i now have left)

Be fair charlie, I have only put this post to find out what I need to do now. I have in no way slagged MK off and since you wish to go through my previous posts you will be able to see that I have defended MK in the past when people have been asking 'why they do not answer the phone'

The be-all and end-all of this post is cause I am not sure who is right. At the end of the day, I am building a race car and it is important for me to get the handling right. I have ZERO experience of setting race cars up, but I have been told mine is wrong by several sources. You need to remember that before I put this post up I called MK and told them the problems I had, I was not convinced by their answer hence my original post.

Look, if people want to take it the wrong way and see it as MK baiting then you have too much time on your hands. I have no time for slagging folk off, as I have a race car to build in time for March.

As i keep stating all I want to know (as I am not convinced by my original reply) does my 750mc MK locost chassis need any castor? If it doesnt then there is no problem and we all go back to work. But if it does then I need to change the top wishbone

procomp

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hi right my last say on this.

1. we now know that he dose have the correct wishbones on the car and still has ZERO castor as MK said it should have.

2. All of the chassis from other manufacturers for the locost 750mc championship DO have castor on them.

3. The 750mc actualy state in the regs that the top brackets are allowed to be moved from the book dims to achive the desired castor . And currently all of the cars running in the championship are running LEGAL wishbones.

Charlie (snoopy) You say that i have been slaging Mk and martin kenan off in previous posts. But actually all i have done is to disscuss on a discusion forum what is actualy commonly known. IE that the INDY has lets just say not verry good rear geometry. This is accepted by martin as he offers a service to re jig the backend to correct the problems and HATS OFF to him for admitting and offering to do this.

Lets hope that MK sports cars offer the same deal with the top wishbones for thier locost kits. Unless they are going to openly say that ZERO castor is preferable to having castor.

Regarding my comments about the MK sprint when i and other didnt think the chassis was verry clever we were all told that the pics that we were looking at were of a prototype chassis and that the production version was going to be fully computrer designed to give better geo and more strenght in the chassis and since then i have made no further comments. Has the chassis beeen changed for production from the prototype one ?.

cheers matt

PS the 750mc already allowed the use of oval tubing in the locost championship as we were doing that since year 2000.

And the only wishbones that were bending were the luego ones whitch they strenghtend up and the MK ones which are still bending even the oval ones such as the ones fitted onto james oddonels car supplied earlier this year.

PPS paul aspden is no longer in buissnes setting cars up although he dose still do some grp work for kit cars.

[Edited on 17/12/06 by procomp]

[Edited on 17/12/06 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I just found this thread.....incredible!

It's a very brave man who drives a car with NO caster. How does it self center? Shopping trolley geometry! You'd get big arms pretty quick!

And, the winning cars in the next 750mc Locost championship will probably be Procomp prepared, if not supplied. They will handle in a markedly different way to everything else, ....except mine!

So, if you want up-to-date handling and grip, go to Procomp, accept what Matt does and don't ask questions about specifics, because they won't be answered directly.

Cheers,
Syd.

DEAN C.

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think its about time I left this forum as I am getting more than a bit pi@@ed off with pratts slagging everyone off.

Some helpful forum this is,one person is after some help to correct a problem and idiots who should know better jump in slagging everyone off!

I for one will never deal with Procomp after the pathetic comments that have come out here again.
I thought he was a professional?
As for Aussie Sydney Bridge,who the hell opened his cage?Syd,everytime some crap starts flying you are somewhere near it,I wonder why??PS. I seem to remember the farce a year or so back about some accident damaged wishbones a certain nameless person used to con money with,you really do seem a nasty peice of work.

Thats it ,I'm off this forum..it's being spoilt by petty troublemakers,what a shame....

dilley

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I couldnt agree more dean, it's a shame really, there are some really decent people on this forum and some very good information, I allways try and reply or post in an adult manner, some of the answers I have recieved have sounded like they have come from a bunch of primary school kids!!
andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote

andrews_45

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I only wanted to know if I needed some in-built castor, and we end up at a complete tangent.
bob

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
funny really i kinda knew where this thread was going to head as soon as i saw it, couple of two footed tackles and we are off again.

my opinion on manufacturuers areas on this site for what its worth ........ they should read the posts in there area and answer the questions themselves,if they cant do that then they should ask chrisw to remove them from the site.

Mad Dave

posted on 18/12/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I come on here less and less because of all the slagging off and bragging about how much more I know than you. Its pathetic
Syd Bridge

posted on 18/12/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I only wanted to know if I needed some in-built castor, and we end up at a complete tangent.

Yes, you DO need castor.

About 7 degrees with Cortina uprights. That's what seems to be common in most of the intelligent world.

Sierra uprights can tolerate some more, depending on how heavy you can cope with your steering being.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 18/12/06 by Syd Bridge]

Syd Bridge

posted on 18/12/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
I think its about time I left this forum as I am getting more than a bit pi@@ed off with pratts slagging everyone off.

Some helpful forum this is,one person is after some help to correct a problem and idiots who should know better jump in slagging everyone off!

I for one will never deal with Procomp after the pathetic comments that have come out here again.
I thought he was a professional?
As for Aussie Sydney Bridge,who the hell opened his cage?Syd,everytime some crap starts flying you are somewhere near it,I wonder why??PS. I seem to remember the farce a year or so back about some accident damaged wishbones a certain nameless person used to con money with,you really do seem a nasty peice of work.

Thats it ,I'm off this forum..it's being spoilt by petty troublemakers,what a shame....

No surprise you're an MK avid supporter. You've built one!

It appears that MK race wishbones are still in need of some attention, as are the originals which DO fail in racing without getting anywhere near an accident.

After that 'fiasco', some manufacturers actually strengthened up their designs, so it had some positive results.

When the kit industry here gets the same engineering oversight that is mandatory in Aus, a number of manufacturers will disappear, or be forced to make some fairly big changes to their products.

I don't want the Aus system, but unless the manufacturers design their products properly, then I see it as a necessity.

Cheers,
Syd.

andrews_45

posted on 18/12/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well it looks like I might have to make some wishbones that will incorporate castor?

What about using valve springs to get the car to self centre? I have seen in old posts folk have done that, will that sort it out for me?

Finally thanks for some useful advice chaps

zxrlocost

posted on 18/12/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate

the valve springs is a trick to get your car to self centre

its not dangerous if done properly

it just shouldnt be needed

so I wouldnt Id do it the proper way

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well it looks like I might have to make some wishbones that will incorporate castor?

What about using valve springs to get the car to self centre? I have seen in old posts folk have done that, will that sort it out for me?

Finally thanks for some useful advice chaps

As Matt at Procomp is setting the car up for you, why not take some of his advice? No doubt he knows and has probably told you exactly what is required in order to get it to self centre and exactly how much castor is needed. If not, take it somewhere else to be set up or better still, get some advice from Syd Bridge and do it yourself

Phil

andrews_45

posted on 18/12/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Right chaps, MK himself has been in contact with me and he is keen to get the problem sorted.

Thanks for the help chaps

chrisg

posted on 18/12/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with DeanC and Mad Dave on this one I'm afraid.

It seems to me that certain posters have an adgenda with MK products, both MK sportscars and MK engineering and they're clutching at any sort of tenuous link to put the boot in.

I think manufacturers should stay out of this sort of discussion because whatever you post, well intentioned or not, looks like sour grapes.

If your advertising consists of bad mouthing the opposition then you're in for dissapointment.

I'd include ex manufacturers such as Keith (Syd) in this too.

Chris

andyps

posted on 19/12/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Right chaps, MK himself has been in contact with me and he is keen to get the problem sorted.

Thanks for the help chaps

Let us know the technical outcome please.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.