Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I have a wider rear than front????
NS Dev

posted on 20/2/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Thought I might have stirred one up here......

So answer me this one then, I followed a CSi Caterham around damp alpine roads for a week and it ran 245 rears (Avon CR500) and never missed a beat, it looked absolutely planted. The only time it got loose was a last minute complete lock-up headed into a hairpin (luckily there was an open gate and a filed )

I was originally gonna fit the same tyres on mine (similar power/weight) but I thought I'd go a size down....

The Avon CR500 is a specifically designed tyre.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Simon

posted on 20/2/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

While I don't don't the math, surely with a lower profile a lower pressure could be used, so how would that affect footprint?

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bling

For a hundred quid, I'd have used 10" minilights

I got 17" though

I reckon my car is heavier than quite a lot of others.

ATB

Simon

C10CoryM

posted on 21/2/07 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Im not sure I get where the idea that a tire can be too wide in the dry comes from.
If we are talking racing compounds, the wider tire runs cooler, allows you to run a softer compound, and increases contact patch (when I measured this a 3" wider tire gained 6.2 square inches). Also if you lower the pressure (which you can and usually should) it will increase the contact patch further.
If you run the same compound and go to a wider tire then yes, your stiction would be reduced, but why would you do that?
If you have the correct rims to match the wider tires you will not get any poor wear once you are dialed in. Far as I am concerned until it gets too heavy, there is no such thing as too wide of a tire in the dry. If you aren't getting the heat into it, GREAT! Then run a softer compound, but don't run skinnier tires.

The lousy thing about tire theory, is even if you know all the logic (I don't), you still do not have anything to go on unless you can convinve the tire company to release their specs to you. Good luck with that .

Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G3OFF

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
i totaly agree C10CoryM

i have run both 235 and 265 on my car and the 265 were a massive improvement, but i only use my car in summer.. and we aint talkin cheap tyres in either size.. all i can say .. is dont knock it till u tried it...

no such thing as to much power......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.