Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel contamination scare
Catpuss

posted on 1/3/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
They are saying traces of silicon have been found in some of the tests.
suparuss

posted on 1/3/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
this may just be a coincidence but i filled up with diesel at tesco this morning and on the way to work the fuel filter warning light, fuel level warning light and battery warning light came on and the heater stopped working! also there is a slight loss in power. still the same after the journey home as well.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/3/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The newsreaders need to get some chemistry lessons - the AA's scientist was saying that there seemed to be an excess of silicone in the fuel, but the newsreader kept talking about silicon. Ever so slightly different substances...
Any road up, the AA man said that the excess of silicone was being burnt and was turning into silicon dioxide (I think that's what he said) and that was coating the oxygen sensors.

But it may be male bovine droppings, of course.

dern

posted on 2/3/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I put a third of a tank of tesco 99 in my subaru last friday morning before a track day so was pretty dilute. I was only there for the afternoon session and by the end of it it was misfiring, loosing boost and wouldn't idle well. Took it home and filled up with BP and reset the ecu and it was fine.

I did clean the maf and the icv while I was under the bonnet because I had stored (ie old) maf and fuel pump errors.

Seems ok now, runs fine and no more errors.

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 2/3/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
So basically is any high ron fuel ok ?

I'll go to BP if the supermarkets are out of bounds.

nitram38

posted on 2/3/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
News at 10 said that BP Ultimate is ok, which is lucky because that is what I fill my F1-2 car up with!
martyn_16v

posted on 2/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is anyone but me a bit cynical about the spread of this beyond the original area? TV news keep coming up with the odd viewer that's broken down in Newcastle or somewhere, that by some amazing coincidence has put petrol in their car in the last month. Must be the contaminated petrol causing that then. What's the betting that at least one eeeedjit tries to claim off a petrol station for something stupid like a dead battery or a puncture?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.