Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Welder & Gas
Rorty

posted on 13/8/03 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
JoelP:
quote:

there is a lot of splatter with CO2, especially as its usually windy when i do it. Nearly all my welds need touching up when its finished.

You can buy anti-spatter spray at most welding supply shops, some of it is paintable.
Not as pleasant in the aftermath, and not quite as good, is supermarket home brand cooking oil spray. It stops the spatter sticking, but smells like someone's barbequeing. It also leaves a very slightly sticky residue, but the chassis wont rust!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 13/8/03 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rorty, i'll look into it!
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/8/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Washing up liquid does the same job - I have worked for some tight employers in my time!
iceT
Junior Builder

Posts 30
Registered 1/7/03

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 Locost based on book chassis but with IRS

posted on 14/8/03 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
Wow...! Thanks all for your responses and sharing.

I have just confirmed the Kemppi w Argoshield. It really feels much better than the rest. It sounds like bacon frying in the pan with all correct adjustments. And yes, when the gas flow too high, the weld does look a little porous! Looking for RHS now and hopefully to start by Sep! Can't wait...

What wire size should I go for? Is 0.8 ok? I've read somewhere (probably from previous postings) that 0.6 would be ideal. The reason I ask is, it is rather difficult to get 0.6 wire spool. I have to specially order and that will cost. On the other hand, 0.8 is widely available. So is it really worth to go thru the hassle and pay for the difference for 0.6 or 0.8 would be just fine tho it may not be as good as 0.6?

Stu16v

posted on 14/8/03 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
I built my car with 0.8. It is probably slightly easier when joining tube edges to use 0.6, but certainly not impossible to use the former.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Peteff

posted on 14/8/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I always use 0.8 wire and find it builds better than the 0.6 and is much more forgiving. If you cock something up putting the power up a notch and running over it again to flatten it out works better with the thicker wire. I don't know if it is a trait of my welder but I also find the arc easier to control, maybe that it feeds thicker wire better.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/8/03 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick tip, don't be tempted to use 15Kg spools on a small welder, even if they fit and the manufacturer says you can use them. It puts a hell of a strain on the wire feed at the begining of the weld and the flywheel effect can over feed the wire at the end of the weld. With welds only 25mm long there ain't much in the middle!
JoelP

posted on 14/8/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
On my second reel i got the 0.6 by accident, it seemed not enough was coming out, so i turned up the feed to compensate, but it wasnt the same... i cranked up the current for good measure. Next time i'm definitely gonna use the 0.8 again, even if it is a little harder to thread...

With the thicker wire you have the wire feed slightly lower, so it seems more relaxed - the wire comes out gentler.

All IMHO of course!

iceT
Junior Builder

Posts 30
Registered 1/7/03

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 Locost based on book chassis but with IRS

posted on 15/8/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Cool! Thank you all for all the inputs! Glad to hear that 0.8 wire is better, as 0.6 is very scarce here and it will cost a bomb to special order it.

Yippee! One bit of good news for the weekend!

Have a great weekend everyone!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.