Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 200 HP Car or Bike Engine
ned

posted on 8/5/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
well my complete vx installation probably owes me about £4.5k, but remove the forged pistons, steel rods and laminated head gasket and it'd make the same power safely for £3.5k. that's 220bhp, 170lb/ft.

And that was fully mapped and rolling roaded from a bare block, core plugs out, dipped, rebored and ground up total rebuild.

Ned.

[Edited on 8/5/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 8/5/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
fit the volvo engine phil .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

TangoMan

posted on 8/5/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
With that budget 200bhp should be too easy. I installed a 2.0 Zetec though the winter on TB's and freeflow tubular exhaust manifold. Much quicker than the Pinto but not quick enough.

The head is coming off now and the new piper cams are in the office. Once done I will be close to 200bhp and all for around £1K.

With £2K to spare you could probably get that to 220bhp and £1K for stronger transmission.

A Bec has its uses but mainly as a track toy. Not too practical for road use. But with £3K I guess you could probably build a fairly special Bike engine.

As I can testify from the recent Teesside trackday. Spend some of that money on good tyres as these will find you more time than lots of power that you cannot get onto the road.

Summer's here!!!!

flak monkey

posted on 8/5/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
As Darren said you dont need silly power, to have a very quick seven. The cars are so light that you get to a point where you just cant put the power down, no matter how good your tyres suspension are (ultima vs caterham 0-60)

Your volvo I would guess is probably just shy of 1400kg? (going based on our focus which will be about the same size) giving you 220bhp/tonne.

Most CEC sevens weigh in somewhere around 550-600kg. So to get the same power to weight you only need 132bhp. Already forgetting that you have weight transfer on your side in a seven. If you want an idea how fast even a pinto engined car can be, have a word with mookaloid. 180bhp 2litre pinto will see you at the 4.5-5 sec to 60 mark at a guess.

Then theres also the fact that the distance covered getting to 60 in a seven is less than the distance you will cover in your t5, so you will be going faster for longer.

One thing you will have trouble with though is going much more than 120-130mph in a seven, they just arent aerodynamic!

If i had the money I would fit a duratec and the weber alpha throttle body kit. All bolt on, no internal mods and 240bhp out of the box. Whole set up likely to cost in the region of £2k i would think.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

zxrlocost

posted on 8/5/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
you went out in the least powerfulest BEC

and even with that engine theres still hardly anything that will keep up

you now need to take a ride in a later 1 litre engine or busa etc and understand why CEC is the past £ for £

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

phil T5

posted on 15/6/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys

Ive done the deead and bought a mk xe with around 235 bhp QED engine

It does the job!

May still one day exchange or build a bec as there great too, but until then its cec for me

Thanks

martyn_16v

posted on 15/6/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
good choice

NS Dev

posted on 15/6/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
235hp XE should hit the mark!!!

Just make sure you have some decent tyres on it (yoko A048 or Toyos) or you'll never put any of it onto the tarmac!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.