Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is UK part of Europe????? Discuss
I love speed :-P

posted on 13/5/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
we will be able to travel from UK to America without getting our feet wet.

What has happened to all the planes

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 13/5/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My VERY personal opinion is that we should jump into Europe with both feet,

It's our pussy-footing about that stops it working for us.

IMHO.

Only a FOOL tests the depth of the water with BOTH Feet

As you said its your personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to one.
A fully integrated Federal EU would make it the largest trading nation on the planet.
Thats what its all about.. Trade, Money and Power. Nothing new in that, except the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

As for the earleir comment about the USA. Most of them are European Dropouts They just left the EU a few too many years before the EU was even thought of.
Maybe their ancestors knew something we have not yet realised

[Edited on 13/5/2007 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 13/5/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My VERY personal opinion is that we should jump into Europe with both feet, and lead from the front (just like France and Germany).

+1 here. The EU is a big reality and the UK has the unique opportunity to lead it unlike most other countries. I don't think it's a good move to miss that train. A little (related) example: I've been following the euro to pound exchange rate for a few years now, guess what, the pound has been going down very slowly but steadily. As I say, the EU is a reality, a big one, and a growing one (I don't mean in number of countries here).

quote:
Would you care to elaborate?

I'm puzzled.

I've lived here 13 years, and although not perfect, it's a great place to live.

A little example shows my personal opinion: the US people / culture will use "America" for "US". To many people that hasn't a meaning, but others have a strong feeling about some facts that make the US special on their approach to the rest of the world. I won't take it beyond that because my English is very poor, I realize it's a tricky subject and I have much sympathy for everyone here, don't want to p_ss anyone off by mistake.

Cheers,

Alex

David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Only a FOOL tests the depth of the water with BOTH Feet

Maybe I'll get a snorkel!

smart51

posted on 13/5/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
.......... Scratch the surface of America to see what's underneath and we would strongly dislike what we see.......................

America has a somwhat different benefit system to the UK. IN the US, you can only claim for so-many year in your whole life and there are more conditions. Put simply, loose you're screwed.

They have a lower standard of public health care too. If you can't pay and the holspital has used up its welfare budget, you get sent home.

Education is somewhat less in parts of the country. You can have more but you have to pay hansomely.

The gap between wide and poor is generally wider too. If you have money, you can have whatever you want. If you don't then you can just F-off. Europe is more left-wing in comparison. Scandinavian countries are much bigger on enclusive welfare, healthcare, education, maternity / paternity leave than most, at the cost of the tax payer. The UK less so but is more European than the American model.

True, I haven't spent much time in the US but behind the main streets and gated high-end residential areas is another world that would raise British eyebrows. I guess it's worse in some places than others.

t.j.

posted on 15/5/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Come on Guys,

Europe Rules,
The Euro is 1.35 U$.

The euro is used by the companies, bars, restaurants at the beginning.
Cause the lack of knowing what you're paying.

Now 5 years later the economy is growing.
Salary not enough

But I think on the long run: "a big stable, trading europe is much stronger then little countries"

The swiss, monaco are only rich by there tax-paradies.
So if you don't want to be a part of Europe, on the long run , buying stuff in Europe will be expensive.

Take that Euro and make Europe stronger!
I only live in a little district of Europe called Netherlands.

BTW: USA= Chrome won't bring you home

[Edited on 15/5/07 by t.j.]

Peteff

posted on 15/5/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
The Euro is 1.35 US$

and today the GB Pound is 1.98558 USD. So what? If you don't want anything from USA it's no use to you at all. 1 GBP = 1.46083 EUR so I'll stick with Pounds for now thanks.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

t.j.

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete,

What if 1 Euro has the same value as 2 pound?
I still think together we are stronger!

Chinese ecomnomy grows. UK has to import stuff, so on the long run you'll have to take that Euro!

changing now is better than wait untill UK economy is bad and the pound is only half an euro.

Visiting across Europe is a lot funnier BTW.

Alez

posted on 25/6/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm puzzled.

Recent example (one of many)..

"Take the thousands of Filipino children who die every year courtesy of the formula milk corporates, backed by US lobbying"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2095677,00.html

"[...]The US embassy and the US regional trade representative started lobbying the Philippines government. Then the chief executive of the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington - which represents 3m businesses - wrote a letter to the president of the Philippines, Gloria Arroyo. The new rules, he claimed, would have "unintended negative consequences for investors' confidence". The country's reputation "as a stable and viable destination for investment is at risk". Four days later, the supreme court reversed its decision and imposed the restraining order Phap had requested. It remains in force today. The government is currently unable to prevent companies from breaking the international code."

BKLOCO

posted on 25/6/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
quote:

I'm puzzled.

Recent example (one of many)..

"Take the thousands of Filipino children who die every year courtesy of the formula milk corporates, backed by US lobbying"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2095677,00.html

"[...]The US embassy and the US regional trade representative started lobbying the Philippines government. Then the chief executive of the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington - which represents 3m businesses - wrote a letter to the president of the Philippines, Gloria Arroyo. The new rules, he claimed, would have "unintended negative consequences for investors' confidence". The country's reputation "as a stable and viable destination for investment is at risk". Four days later, the supreme court reversed its decision and imposed the restraining order Phap had requested. It remains in force today. The government is currently unable to prevent companies from breaking the international code."

And another.
THE REAL THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.