Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is britain slowing down?
rjbrookes

posted on 29/6/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
the airline industry is going strong....but that also peaks and troughs about every 9 years....last one was Sept 11 2001.....watch this space i reckon!

russ

DarrenW

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Im on with property dev #2 at the mo. So far ive managed to get a gas fitter here for a week installing new heating system and only had to wait a few days, and a joiner started this week with 1 days notice. Previously i would have had to wait a week just for them to take a look and then probs 6 weeks to start.

Unfortunately the kitchen is almost completed Joel. Ive managed to get an account with Howdens this time which saved me a bit.

nick205

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Custom IT hardware manufacturing business.

Very poor start to the year, but the last 2 months have gone beserk and it's not slowing down either. We tend to be project driven which can make things a bit up and down, but it seems to be up and up at the moment.

I'm also in the process of adding a conservatory, so been speaking to various builders, window fitters, sparkies etc. They all seem busy and booking 4-5 weeks ahead.

nathanharris1987

posted on 29/6/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
flood defense for an internal drainage board

The firm I'm at works as fast as what our water does, recently its been crazy, any guesses as to why? One of the few jobs that gets interesting when it rains, but usually if we were any more laid back we'd be asleep.

Ahhh the joys of local authority!

Hats off to you guys in industry though! Personally couldnt hack it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 29/6/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
I'm flat out busy now, but I'm not allowed to tell you whatn I do he he

Arms dealer?

The manufacturing industry is dying because short of sighted greed by company owners like Dyson. They close factories here and have products made in the far east at 10% of the cost here. They forget that when we are all out of work, no one will be able to buy their products, including the people that made them, because they are on medieval pay scales.
When we no longer have a manufacturing base and the Chinese have a massive one, does anyone think that they will all still stay at home? I doubt it.
Without an engineering/manufacuting infrastructure you cannot defend your country.
In fifty years, those of you young enough to still be around, had better forget Haynes manuals and order your Little Red Book. It will be blue suits all round.

Rant over.............for now.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Aboardman

posted on 29/6/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
kitchen fitting.

(can i say does anyone want one without getting banned?!)

are you a member of pistonheads you might be able to get some work

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=408605

Benzine

posted on 29/6/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've just started a new job as a canal boat builder, waiting list for new customers is 2010 so I'm busy atm
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 29/6/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Avoneer, are you a screw or a copper? Or something else in that "industry"?
I should be alright reagrdless of what happens, as I change domestic and light industrial leccy meters. This needs doing on a rolling basis and is determined by law (meters are only considered accurate for so many years), so even if it does go all pete tong, I just go round fitting pre-payment meters. Admittedly not good for others, but keeps me busy. Missus is in H & S, so should be ok. I hope. If not, anyone want to give me loads of money?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

JoelP

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
quote:
kitchen fitting.

(can i say does anyone want one without getting banned?!)

are you a member of pistonheads you might be able to get some work

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=408605

nice, cheers for that. Bit cheeky signing up just to advertise but hey, desperate times etc

Si, pat works in the magistrate court.

DIY Si

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, I have a mate who does something similar for the police. He puts the CPS cases together, or something like that.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza285

posted on 29/6/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
desperate times etc

What you like at steel erecting?

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

JoelP

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
i find stealing and erections dont mix well for me
gazza285

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
What happened, hooker dipped your wallet?

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

JoelP

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote

i have two lads to employ so a career change is tricky - that said, im halfway to sacking one after today.

Avoneer

posted on 1/7/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Ah, I have a mate who does something similar for the police. He puts the CPS cases together, or something like that.

Almost the same, but I put the Courts papers together and organise the Magistrates' at Court.

Oh, endorse driving licences as well!

Pat...

JoelP

posted on 1/7/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
i got 6 points at wakefield magistrates court 6 years ago, cheers pat! lol
Avoneer

posted on 2/7/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Good job I work at Dewsbury then!

Calderdale gave me 6 as well!

Pat...

se7ensport

posted on 12/8/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates
hate to be a doom mongure, but it looks as though we are heading in to a global recession, possible depression.

We are at peak oil, the yen carry trade is unwinding, CDO are about to get revalued (look at bear sterns funds collapsing in the last week), UK personal debt has just topped £1.3trillion, USA is at the beginning of a massive house price crash (when they catch a cold we get the flu), interest rates are going to continue to increase (the historic long term average is approx 7%!!!!), we have had 10years of continuous growth due to exceptionally low interest rates (nothing to do with Brown), when this comes to an end a painful revision to the mean will commence.

I'm in the process of looking into a recession proof job: anything involving booze, debt collection, counselling or removals is likely to do well.

The last time things looked this bad was 1929.

That could have come straight from the mouth of David Cameron.

But your obviously not him as you must be at least 79 years old if you can remember 1929

Telegraph this Saturday

" City hit by biggest crisis for a decade.....

Experts predicted that the turbulence could have knock-on effects for all British households, depressing the housing market, potentially pushing unemployment higher and plunging pension funds into deficit.

They said the British economy's decade-long boom, built for a large part on the success of the City, was facing its sternest test, with many parts of the financial sector in a state of meltdown....

Prof Spencer said the crisis was in many senses comparable to the Wall Street Crash.

He said: "When historians look back, I would imagine they will compare this credit market slump with the events in 1929.""

Looks like things are going to head downhill from here!

gezer

posted on 12/8/07 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
My son left uni last year with a degree in computer games and 3D graphics design,
when he started doing his degree the games companies were fighting to take them on after they finished,
but the yanks bought out half the firms and moved games development to the states, so now nothing unless you have three years experience,

he can't even get a job shelf filling at asda as all the low payed jobs have been taken by people from the eastern block countries,

i've no problem with them coming over here (i married a ukrainian women) (now ex) and can understand why they want to come here after going out there a few times and seeing how they live,

the govt tell us there are 400,000 to 600,000 arrived in the last two years, but they dont really know as up until now they did'nt keep count !!!

a couple of weeks ago the Polish president gave a speach in his parliment and said the figure of poles who had gone to the UK and ireland was 1 and a half million,
being an ex soviet country they actually count you in and count you out at the borders, i think our politicians have their hands behind their backs and their fingures crossed when they give us these figures,
food for thought,

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.