Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dilemma: Turbo or N/A
clutch_kick

posted on 2/11/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've got plenty of experience with turboing, car engines, but they are kind of 'easier' to work with. The lower revs and stronger exhaust pulses make life easier.

To me it seems that the TD04HL-16T-6 would be the most sensible turbo for a ~1000cc engine. At this point in time I do not think that it is worth the money to spend big on a ball bearing turbo. Especiallay since i don't intend to run any sort of mad boost on it, yet.

I'm just undecided. Don't know if it would make sense to turbo the R1 engine for Hillclimbing, or stick in a busa engine.

I'm a bit biased towards the turbo route, but going N/A busa power seems a bit like cheating, no challenge.

GeorgeL

posted on 7/11/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd always be worried about the turbo changing the charateristics of the bike engine. I spoke to holshot and he seemed to suggest on a busa peak power was made as low as 6 or 7k, with that power being held right up to the redline. For me that would feel odd to drive.

For that reason I would be more tempted by a supercharger conversion. The linear power deliverey would affectively keep the engine characterisitcs the same, but just produce more torque and power. The only problem is I guess the cost of the Rotrex units.

I take it a low pressure turbo would work better with a bike engine? Or does the weak exhaust pulse actually mean the power can still be achived higher up with a broad spead?

andygtt

posted on 7/11/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is that superchargers and turbos run over a range so a supercharger will probably be more of a challenge higher up the rev range to keep boost and will tail off.... changing the charactreistics of the engine.

The trick with forced induction is to spec it to the application regardless of method used.

Personelly I prefer turbo's purelly as they don't rob the engine of some of the extra power produce..... I'd love to turbocharge my injected R1 engine.

to many projects & ideas and not enough money & time.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.