Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello Newbie here
onzarob

posted on 30/11/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
When you create your list of 'must haves', number one needs to be a bike engine otherwise your list will be wrong.

Phil

I just been looking at Worx's Build site..... what a nice motor...the MNR kit looks good will I fit in????

I do have a loathing of Ford and fitting a pinto engine does rub against the grain, how does the bike engine fair with SVA and how does the reverse work?

I would find out from worx's site, but the diary itself is not working, just been picture browsing

[Edited on 30-11-2007 by onzarob]

onzarob

posted on 30/11/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire excuse my blindness, I'm rapidly reading your build diary.......Nice saftey testing of the chassis!!!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/11/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Agriv8 on here has an MNR and having met him at Donnington, he's about 8ft 6in so safe to say you will fit in no probs.

As for reverse, well personally i am going to go to SVA without one and see how I get on. I may fit an electric reverse later though which many companies now do (inc MNR) which very basically consists of a starter motor and a ring gear on the propshaft at either diff or engine end (depending on space).

As for emmissions, depending on engine you will most likely need a Cat. Many people have got on the road before you so plenty can advise depending on your engine choice (whether carbs or injection)

Hellfire

posted on 30/11/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Most people with BEC's don't bother fitting a reverse. It goes against the whole ethos of BEC's, which is light weight and personally, I've yet to come across a reverse mechanism that is/has been trouble free.

BEC's tend to weigh in at around 500kg and as such are quite easy to push backwards, even on a slight incline.

Reverse isn't an SVA requirement and bike engines don't have any problems getting through SVA.

How tall are you? You should fit in most of the manufacturers chassis I posted earlier in this thread.

If you've never been in a BEC, I'd suggest you at least get a passenger ride in one before you decide to go down that route. If you're ever up this way, give us a shout, we'd be more than happy to take you out for a spin.

Phil

[Edited on 30-11-07 by Hellfire]

onzarob

posted on 30/11/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How tall are you? You should fit in most of the manufacturers chassis I posted earlier in this thread.

Din't know my vital statistics would be so important, I' 5 11 and 13 stone (on a good day!) so medium build. I had an MG Midget and that was fine for me....space is tight in them too!!!

quote:

If you've never been in a BEC, I'd suggest you at least get a passenger ride in one before you decide to go down that route. If you're ever up this way, give us a shout, we'd be more than happy to take you out for a spin.

Phil

I would love too hopefully someone will be nearer to me, but you never now I may take the long way home

Paul TigerB6 you've got a B6 hows that for room?

Simon

posted on 1/12/07 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Rob,

I'm 5' 11 3/4" (apparently), and about 15 stone and fit my car fine. I built my chassis from scratch and made it 4" wider than book.

You really do need to think about the engine - it's needs to be a proper one

ATB

Simon

onzarob

posted on 1/12/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Rob,

I'm 5' 11 3/4" (apparently), and about 15 stone and fit my car fine. I built my chassis from scratch and made it 4" wider than book.

You really do need to think about the engine - it's needs to be a proper one

ATB

Simon

I see the 4in wider was more for the lovely Rover V8

I assume you mean proper by car engine? I like the idea of a bike engine, but i really would like a proper reverse gear!!!

Well looks like the chassis got built quickly did you find it straight forward? Did you Fab your wishbones as well?

sorry lots of questions...nice car

dnmalc

posted on 2/12/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Rob
If your dad is such a dab hand at welding then it just has to be a scratch build 442 Mcsorley. Plane for this are available free form the web http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/
and if nothing else will wet your appitite over christmas.

onzarob

posted on 2/12/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
scratch build 442 Mcsorley.

I seen his site looks great, what is a 442?

My appetite is good,but I feel i need more planing yet. I will drive a few in the new year (hopefully) and go from there

Until then, there allot to learn

Keep the info comming

Hellfire

posted on 2/12/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engines are available from LB member 'Yorkshire Engines'.....

Just some more useful info for ya...........

Phil

onzarob

posted on 2/12/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bike Engines are available from LB member 'Yorkshire Engines'.....

Just some more useful info for ya...........

Phil

<feverishly scribbles data into A5 notepad>

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/12/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob

Paul TigerB6 you've got a B6 hows that for room?

Well I am a similar size to you - 5ft 11 and around 14st and there is plenty of space for me in the Tiger. My previous Tiger Super 6 had Richfield RX777 seats which took up a fair bit of space but the car fitted me like a glove. My new B6 is getting MK fibreglass shell seats fitted and I am working out how far forward these need to go so plenty of room to allow for an extra 2" or so of leg room if your legs are longer than mine.

I would have to say that i doubt you will have much problem in any se7en to be honest - i know for certain i can fit in all Tiger's models, MNR, MK and RAW Striker having either driven or sat in them all. Best option is to get a sit in each car you are interested in - i'm sure you will find owners from here more than happy to show you (or maybe measure the cockpit area for a fairly good idea) if you are miles from the manufacturers.

In case its any use - have a look here for the South West Tiger Owners club. SWTOC

[Edited on 3/12/07 by Paul TigerB6]

onzarob

posted on 3/12/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link a couple people in my neck of the woods. Personally I think the two front runner for me is the Tiger Avon/R6 (undecided) and the MK Indy (I like the classic lines it has

But that just talk, as until I see some and have a ride its hard to say

dnmalc

posted on 3/12/07 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
A 442 is a chassis that is 4inches longer and 4 inches wider in the passenger well as well as being 2 inches higher in the basic chassis this gives a stronger stiffer chassis better able to take engines sucgh as v8s as well as giving the driver & passenger more room. These are a common alteration to the basic design and many of the kit car manufactures have incorporated the extra width already as +4inches on the width means that you can use the sierra rear irs and the sierra steering rack without modifications tothe length.
onzarob

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the explanation, i've been looking at the diagrams and then i was looking at Big_wasa's pictures. there a diference in the front section and the lower rail below the engine, are these recommended changes?

Triton

posted on 4/12/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
There is always the new haynes roadster and I just happen to have tripped over one today....

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
onzarob

posted on 4/12/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
There is always the new haynes roadster and I just happen to have tripped over one today....

Mark

You mite need that moved out of the way

I was given your name as someone who may have a chassis or your building one?Would be nice to have a look.

Rob

Triton

posted on 4/12/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Upside down back to front at the moment as not fully moved into new workshop but by all means if you are ever out near Penryn and that nutty set of roundabouts at treluswell.

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
onzarob

posted on 4/12/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Upside down back to front at the moment as not fully moved into new workshop but by all means if you are ever out near Penryn and that nutty set of roundabouts at treluswell.

Mark

Loverly peice of road panning

sent U2U

Triton

posted on 4/12/07 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly entertaining at half 7 in the morning...
onzarob

posted on 5/12/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Certainly entertaining at half 7 in the morning...

Fortunately I'm never there at that time in the morning, but its not the best road

I an inlander based at Bodmin, LOL

worX

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and Welcome!

Similar to Hellfire Phil, I don't often mention this but, You need to get a run out in a Bike Engined Car...

And the offer from him applies from me too, if you are ever in this area!
I have taken a couple of people out who thought they would stick to car engines, and there plans have changed in about three and a half seconds!!!

The MNR in my build diary is a trackday only car that is being built for TimC, and the build diary and gallery on my website is my own car I built last Dec/Jan/Feb.

Because you don't seem to have anyone that close to you, the obvious thing to do (if you can wait this long!) is to get yourself along to any of the shows - Stoneleigh is quite a good one, and as above, I'm sure that myself and few others would be more than pleased to take you out!

Cheers,
Steve

wilkingj

posted on 7/12/07 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm...

The Viento (like mine) is on the Left.
The Velocity is on the right.
Velocity is a Locost sized chassis, with about +2" extra height in the bodywork to accomodate taller engines.
The Viento is about 12" longer, 6" wider, and 4" taller than a book locost. It will accomodate most V8's and straight 6's with ease,
(and even V10's, but you run into power / chassis torque issues - see www.v10viento.co.uk) and still have room to spare.
Have a look through my archive, and the Luego Demonstrator section, as I took a lot of photos showing various angles and clearances etc.

The Mc Sorley 442 is 4" longer, 4" wider and 2" higher. It makes a nice car with a bit more room.
The Haynes Roadster is nice, and is about 2" wider
The Viento is a bit of a monster size wise... But then I'm 5'10" and 20 stones.
its very nice for longer touring trips and can pack a lot of camping gear in the extra space (for the shows etc).
My Son is 6' 5" and 21 stone.
So we weigh in at about 1/3rd of the weight of the car So the Viento with a V8 was the right choice for me / us.
Even with that size and weight, with a Rover 3.5, the 0-60 time is just sub 5 seconds (only just!!)
Standing 1/4 mile is 14.849 seconds (including spinning the wheels all the way in first, and missing 3rd gear half way up the track. (See the vid on my website)
I recon I could knock another 0.5 secs off that by just driving better and not missing 3rd gear!

So what every you make, it will be fairly quick, and imense fun to drive.

Viento Versus Velocity (Size)
Viento Versus Velocity (Size)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

onzarob

posted on 7/12/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Hi and Welcome!

Similar to Hellfire Phil, I don't often mention this but, You need to get a run out in a Bike Engined Car...

And the offer from him applies from me too, if you are ever in this area!
I have taken a couple of people out who thought they would stick to car engines, and there plans have changed in about three and a half seconds!!!

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated

quote:

The MNR in my build diary is a trackday only car that is being built for TimC, and the build diary and gallery on my website is my own car I built last Dec/Jan/Feb.

I looked at your site, great stuff, your diary page isn't working so only looked at the pictures

quote:
(if you can wait this long!)

I'm not in a hurry, I've wanted one of these cars for a long time so rather make the choice right for me rather than rush

Thanks for th info/welcome wilkingj, I prefer the Velocity and the smaller engine setup, but as you say if you don't fit in it it not much fun!!!. I must admit that the proportions on the Viento look great.

[Edited on 7-12-2007 by onzarob]

worX

posted on 7/12/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't noticed the diary not working and then a friend (McLannahan) spotted it and is going to help me sort it out! Me and computers aren't bestest chums!

Should be back up in the next day or so I would of thought! Check back or drop a U2U if you'd like any direct info. I've just sent you a U2U!

Steve

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.