Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whys this happened ....
Sport

posted on 14/10/03 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
It is a shame that woodster has not contacted SPD over this matter. Even in the light that he was racing the car when this all happened i would have treated it like any other matter. As for the slanderious remarks i am getting over something that no-one has proven who's is to blame if any, i feel that the industry of kit cars is suffering due to this. We all build cars to enjoy them. This car was built from an MK kit and was registered as an MK. I built the car and had no problems with it whilst we drove it around, but as we did not do many miles in the car it was advised that it should be checked regularly until a few miles had been covered. Woodster has owned the car for over 4 months now and has never contacted me to say anything was wrong, so he must have presumed it to be safe to race......1,if a prop came loose, then he would have felt the vibration and stopped before any damage 2, If the engine mounts broke and there are 4 mounting points on a blade, this would have been unlikely for all 4 to go at once. 3, the chassis to have broke, which i feel this to be very unlikely as Martin is a good welder and chassis builder.....so my conclusion is that it was an unfortunate accident which seems to have no blame. I am not pointing any fingers and i feel no-one should point them at SPD as no-one here knows. Woodster has not contacted me about this until i wrote to him to ask if the car in question was his..he said yes....but still he has not contacted me, so i wonder why?
JoelP

posted on 15/10/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
woodster, has MK decided what caused the prop to fail? was it a factory piece?

if SPD was a private individual building a car to sell, the car is right to go back to MK. As he is a company, it should've gone back to him. Ie if you buy a BMW off fred, it goes back to BMW. If you buy a bimmer off alpina, it goes back to alpina. by being a company he is taking responsibility for the build and product.

just cos MK is popular doesnt mean that SPD is a crank.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/10/03 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, I think its something that certainly needs to be sorted out of the public domain between yourselves and Woodster.

Im sorry if my post sounded like it anti SPD tho, I was merely meant to highlight the fact that there were better courses of action to take, but if the car was found to have a serious fault that was not caused by Woodster's actions, then under the law of the land he is entitled for it to be fixed by yourselves or refunded, regardless of whether it was a fault that occured on the road, on track (not racing) or on the moon

From what Woodster says, it sounds like the engine itself has moved/dropped significantly, causing the prop to fail, rather than just the prop failing. The most likely method of engine movement I would think is the loss of engine bolts. I'm not sure how the MK cradle works, but with my ST one, it holds the engine in 4 places, so if you lost 2 bolts it could potentially twist and hit the ground. Ive had a couple of mine rattle loose over the last 18 months or so, and these things happen, nobody's fault as you say, just bad luck if that is the case. If it is a structural failure of the chassis mounting / engine cradle though, I dont think there can be much argument about where the fault lies assuming that nothing has been modified since purchase, and hopefully SPD would take that responsibility on the chin like any good supplier.

Chris

[Edited on 15/10/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Lightning

posted on 15/10/03 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously sorry to hear of you predicament, but it has made me think of the cradle that I am making for my blade engine in a tiger. Have made it so that it is using 7 mounting points instead of 4.
All I can say is this forum certainly helps with builds as we can all learn from each other.

Steve

woodster

posted on 15/10/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
the damage to the car was due to a prop shaft failure ........ i would like to thank everyone for their help and best wishes .... a big thank you to martin and mk engineering for offering to repair the car and thank you to sportspowerdrive for kindly offering to pay for the repair .....THANK YOU ...... im now looking forward to driving and enjoying what is a fantastic car again !!!!!
Brooky

posted on 15/10/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
AAAARRRRRHHHHHHHH isnt that nice, we are all friends again.
Simon

posted on 16/10/03 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Woodster,

Glad to hear all has been resolved successfully.

Good for SPD and MK too.

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 16/10/03 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
read the above posts carfully, ok MK is repairing the car but who is footing the bill ?
bit like saying it was ADR's fault your mondeo got trashed on the M1.

I have seen the car at BTW not just posting speculation.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.