New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC World lack of stock
chris_smith

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
do it the locost way and build ya own, i did and couldnt be happier
went here delivered next day

RK

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Your experience is called "bait and switch" in the retail world: get a sucker in the door with the cheap display then "upgrade" them til they've spent many times what the display costs. It's a dispicable way of doing business, but very common.

I don't know about the UK, but I always buy Dell. However, just for portability alone, I'm seriously looking at the Mac Air. You can always buy a huge external drive for very cheap if you run out of room. Some of us are not good at building things - my car is the exception of course.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
do it the locost way and build ya own, i did and couldnt be happier
went here delivered next day

Looks very interesting but I can see it ending in flames

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 19/6/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought alot of stuff form this lot, they've always be very helpful:

http://www.stak.com/store/index.asp

personaly I like ASUS motherboards, but what ever your looking at try and download the manual for the MB before you buy anything - that way you can plan your new machine properly before spending any cash
and I guess you could always post what your planning here if you want a second opinion

[Edited on 19/6/08 by mcerd1]

chris_smith

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Looks very interesting but I can see it ending in flames

2nd for asus

thats what i thought mr whippy when i was first pushed towards this idea but its the way forward, and surely cant be worse than actually building your own mode of transport

[Edited on 19/6/08 by chris_smith]

pbura

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Really, Mr. Whippy, assembling a PC is not very difficult. Everything's modular; you just buy your bits and plug them together.

Everything starts with the processor. The best value is usually in models that have been available for six months to a year. Old maxim: "The cutting edge will make you bleed."

Today's bargain looks like the Intel 2200 Core 2 Duo for US$80. Everything that goes with it (motherboard, memory) is cheap, too. That's probably what I'd buy if I had to do it today, and wind up with a pretty nice computer for about $600.

Like mcerd1 said, the motherboard manual will give you the specs for all the other bits, and tell you how to put them together, set the switches, etc. It's a breeze.

Pete

mcerd1

posted on 20/6/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
you could always get the other book

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=43317&langId=-1
I've no idea how good this book is (or any of the other build you own PC books)

oh, and stay away from Vista

[Edited on 20/6/08 by mcerd1]

trogdor

posted on 20/6/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Dell, i used to build my PCs from the bits left over from my Dads work. He used to be a IT manager. Though it was difficult to make a decent PC from it, it was all free!

Anyways have just got my first brand new computer which was a £300 laptop from Dell with Vista and its Brill. Very little probs with it, the only annoying thing is some software has known compatability issues. In my case an older copy of PC anywhere. That said most software even if its pretty old works fine.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.