Author: Subject: push button starters
chrisg

posted on 10/1/04 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they weren't chapel hat pegs or scammel wheel nuts

LOL

Cheers

Chris

(Or pigmys cocks)

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

donut

posted on 10/1/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Right you lot!!! i now have a starter for my car so you can all stop taking the piss.... i mean you would NEVER catch ME taking the wee out of you lot would you!?!?!?!?

And here it is:

Andy

[Edited on 10/1/04 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 10/1/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Andy

Same as mine,i've also got a toggle switch for cut off with a red flip cover over the top. Premier wiring systems supplied and only a few £ too,i think jasper and hicost have the same so no shortage of wiring info for your electrician.
Says bob who sat in garage nearly in tears till conrod came round and sorted me lights out,it happens top us all at some point mate

brianm

posted on 11/1/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
When the time came I quite fancied getting a red button off an old arcade machine, or second best, a new equivalent.

Available from CPC.co.uk - They also hava a nice looking, waterproof to IP65, stainless steel pushbutton under part no. SW01049 for £5.98 . Only rated at 50mA though, so appropriate relay needed.

greggors84

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning to do away with my original barrel, so would lose the steering lock. I am planning to have a fuel cut off switch with removable key. Would this do as the anti theft device.

Also the steering wheel lock needs the original sierra wheel to work as the lock goes in little slots on the back of the wheel and i am planning to use a different wheel.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

donut

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Something i have considered is a tap in the fuel line to cut of the fuel. This could easily be done at a show where the car will be left for a number of hours. This way if the car does get stolen they won't get far!!

Whether it will be considered as an anti theft device i'm not sure.

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 13/1/04 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
The steering lock works with any steering wheel you fit, at least it does on mine.
Peteff

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Also the steering wheel lock needs the original sierra wheel to work

I got a boss from Halfords and the steering lock works with that. It has a notch in the straight ahead position for the lock to engage with. Make sure the lock is disengaged when you fit the wheel or it won't go on.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Graceland

posted on 14/1/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
To answer your original question I used one of these. I bought it from Europa for about 7 quid I think.

also avalable on the upper deck of any bus might have to borrow one from work, i'm sure i got some kicking about somewhere. hehehe

flyingkiwi

posted on 15/1/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
i remember reading somewhere that fuel cut off lines are frowned apon, as the would be thief could start the car and drive off only to run out of fuel in a dangerous area. Personally I could care less if the little poo got run over by a truck (see truck vs bloke post!) but you would place yourself in a sueable situation if some innocent person got splattered as well.

Was going to explore the possiblility of using a solenoid to do the steering wheel lock, so I can have my hidden starter button and the ignition barrel on the dash, maybe using a battery cut off switch hidden under the dash, plus some steel spike's under the seat so if some prick does nick it he gets the rogering of his life!

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

PioneerX

posted on 15/1/04 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I would be interesting in finding out if you actaully NEED the steering lock.

I have an Injection (Vx) engine and was planning to loose the ignition barrel completely and immobilise the engine by interupting the power feed to the engine bay loom. what do you think??

Simon

theconrodkid

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
you need an anti theft device as well as a key type start,ive got a home made crook lock thingy,can get some baseball bat style krooklocks as well,mail me if you want one,come in handy for teaching the little shites a lesson

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mackie

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Would my parent's next door neighbour count as an anti-theft device? He's punched the lights out of several jokers trying to nick his car from outside his house while he popped in for something. My mum saw him dive in through the passenger side and literally punch the kid out of the drivers side of the car, was quite a sight apparently
flyingkiwi

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would have to re-read the sva manual but I'm sure you need a mechanical anti thieft device along with an electrical one.

someone out there will be able to confirm if this is right!

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 15/1/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
so....... i know im a bit thick but does that mean i could get away with an ignition key as electric isol and steering lock for anti theft for passing sva??? been worrying a bit about this
Chris_R

posted on 11/7/04 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone have a circuit diagram showing how a start switch should be wired in? I, like the majority, am using a sierra column.

Cheers,

Chris

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.