Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have you lot seen this ?
austin man

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would be contacting Trading Standards I think that this would come under the sale of goods acts which covers workmanship, goods being fit for purpose. Ther doesnit appear to be an impact damage so ther should be no failure in an unbroken tube possible . I would also agree about the comment regarding the break they look very clean hav ethe factory looked to save money and jointed 2 pieces ??

Worth calling Trading standards, I wouldnt think tha small ussage on a few tracks could possibly generate the stressed required to break fracture the tube If so never race a westie

stuart_g

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
If I was that bloke I would have taken it back and demanded either a complete refund and then gone out and bought something else or a complete turn key car built to my spec.
It is shocking the level of after sales from a so called major manufacturer. I certainly wouldn't put up with that crap service from anyone.

mookaloid

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
That bodge repair looks like something i would've done!

Surely you could have done it with just cable ties Joel

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Liam

posted on 23/10/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote

Bl**dy hell! Blame the steel, or excessive road use on an 18-guage race chassis, but those failures were put in on the drawing board. Seriously poor design!

I suspect that 'diff-box' has no triangulation at all, so those gussets just give a floppy box stiff corners. This then puts massive bending load on the unsupported tubes between the gussets with nasty stress concentrations at the ends of the gussets. No surprise, then, that as well as the failed tube there are cracks clearly visible (2nd photo) at all three other stress concentration points!

The engine bay is a similar disaster. As if the all-too-common shortened 'R-tubes' aren't bad enough, they've tried the same trick on the engine bay sides too. Removing the single diagonal and putting two corner braces in (effectively big gussets) with a length of unsupported tube between! Again, absolutely no surprise that there are failures and cracks exactly where you'd expect them! There are no 'mysterious clean breaks in continuous tubes' - each crack and failure is at a stress concentration and totally predictable.

This sort of sloppy design, and the 'wont make any difference if i move that diagonal halfway down a tube' attitude is all too common in kit car designs, but normally gotten away with. But in this case, likely compounded by a material quality issue and possibly improper use, the results are catastrophic. Could easily have been fatal.

And this from such a long established and reputed company! Remind me never to buy a Westfield

Hmmm - don't think I've used enough of these yet:

Liam

[Edited on 23/10/08 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
have to agree with the above, some very poor design there with the webs, thats only fit for barbeque construction

[Edited on 24/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I am confused.
How come Westfield sell race chassis which is lighter, obviously thinner steel and on the warranty they say that you cannot use the car for trackdays as it will void the warranty?

So, where about are you supposed to race it? On the road?

[Edited on 24/10/08 by l0rd]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis is scrap after only 2 years what a lemon, bet an Allegro would have lasted longer! Some race chassis that is!

At least the carbon floor would have held the middle together and I’m sure it will make a really good sledge for the snow once all the dodgy bits have been cut off

theconrodkid

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
from a metallurgist i know....I can see both classic iron oxide rust and what looks like the surface specs of white aluminium hydroxide.
From welded square section tube?

It's unfortunate that the resolution of the photo is not better, for what I really need to see is the detail of the fracture surface. The possible modes of failure are:
ductile overload, ( unlikely)
fast fracture, ( caused by massive overload of a possibly embrittled material)
fatigue, ( most likely)
or, given the corrosion products, stress corrosion cracking
or even corrosion fatigue.

Looks like the weld was the initiation site, which would lead me to suspect several things – but I would really need to know more about the material. Of course this is also the most loaded point and sharpest change of section.

I notice that the other side has a partial crack, which will be caused at least in part by it’s being overloaded after the first side failed. However, because this side has not failed completely suggests that this crack at least is likely to be fatigue, again associated with the weld area.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking, maybe his girlfriend is really into pies and that over loaded the chassis??

twybrow

posted on 24/10/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I wondered if by doing the 'repair' on the back end, whether the additional stiffness along with the prior flexing of the chassis, has moved the weak point from read tot he front of the car.... Or is the concensus that the front and back failed simultaneously? What a pants design, and a reapir not even worthy of a Indian roadside repair!

Dusty

posted on 24/10/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thread no longer available. WSCC have closed the lid on this can of worms.
MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Damn, did anyone save the web page?
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
all very suspicious doing that, hiding a serious safety problem on the cars, is it the company that run that site I wonder?? Certainly such a cover up would not happen here

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i dont believe the WSCC forum is factory run, but im sure they have a major say in what is publicised.

I havent read it. However id suggest it is fair and correct to allow the factory to carry out extensive research and rectify the issue as a private matter in the short term. Forums unfortunately have the capacity to blow issues out of proportion. The problem does sound serious, and it does sound as if the treatment the customer has recieved is a little lacking, however no-one outside of the immediate communication chain can know the full extent of what is going on.Maybe the customer had a particular style of complaining that gave the factory reason to suspect there is more to the failure than first meets the eye. Once they determine the full extent im sure they will do the right thing. However offering betterment in the first instance is perhaps a step few manufacturers would undertake.

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was just thinking - this type of failure does make you realise that even the bigger factories arent really that big in terms of researching the design of the cars. It is these very issues thay Syd is so vocal about for the right reasons. Its just a shame that the costs of full testwork is beyond most of us.

i work in the automotive industry and understand a little about what the big OE's have to go through to gain type approval etc. It always amazes me that we are able to build high performance sportscars without this extensive testing. Iam pleased in one way as id never have been able to experience our amazing hobby, but most people enter into it knowing that there are risks.

Lets hope WF get to the bottom of it quickly and are able to learn. The cars they make are in the main very good and worthy of their reputation.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.