Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyboard Warriors
trogdor

posted on 29/10/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
i must admit that i use a pseudonym when i post on here but that was an extension of my msm messenger days (its where my trogdor name comes from) when peeps knew who you were anyway!

I do post my real name sometimes and i don't really mind peeps knowing.

However i always look carefully at what i write, because i know its so easy to take offence at what someone has written without the body language to help. So i try to take that into account.

mr henderson

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I think also a distinction should be made between situations where causing offence can be accidental, and where there are some KW's who seem to prowl around certain forums looking for posts on which they can pounce, and say nasty stuff, implying that others are stupid, or misinformed.

The sort of person I'm thinking of virtually never asks questions, and rarely offers an actual solution to the original question, but simply uses the opportunity to be nasty.

If one comes across a case like this, it's often interesting to look at their profile and search their previous posts, and see if they can find a post where the KW has actually provided real assistance or advice (they tend not to because they don't want to subject their own ideas to peer review) (not that these people think they have any peers anyway!)

John

chrisg

posted on 29/10/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting point John, I might look into that, although the football forum isn't really like this one because people tend not to ask questions but just state their position.

As someone remmarked earlier in the thread it's quite "tribal".

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

mr henderson

posted on 29/10/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Interesting point John, I might look into that, although the football forum isn't really like this one because people tend not to ask questions but just state their position.

I wasn't thinking of football forums

John

chrisg

posted on 29/10/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Actually this forum is pretty easy to read in that respect.

There are trouble makers, but because this is quite a "tight" group, everyone knows who they are and (mostly) ignore them.

I know that if I see a reply from certain posters that I could guess the content without opening the thread!

I think they add to the amusement, my self, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

RK

posted on 29/10/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's just no fun around here since you-know-who left for the place beginning with C.

Younger people (my 13 year old niece for example) want to "be famous" more than anything. Why is an interesting question.

mr henderson

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
It's just no fun around here since you-know-who left for the place beginning with C.

C.? Canada?

trogdor

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
i think he is talking about a poster called CaLviNx he did cause i lot of uproar sometimes but he was/is a helpful person.

I found him to be so at least.

He would be before your time i think

mr henderson

posted on 29/10/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
i think he is talking about a poster called CaLviNx he did cause i lot of uproar sometimes but he was/is a helpful person.

Not the person I'm thinking of, then

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.