Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
yellowcab

posted on 13/1/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
It also take patience, and I've looked high and low, even in my sock drawer, and nope, I don't have any left.

Think I ran out when I had kids, and never bothered getting any again.

Cheers for the pic... wing stays are also on hold until I get some small grub screws to fasten the tops on with from Stevio73

yellowcab

posted on 13/1/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
LOL this made me giggle...

The mate who collected my aero bits for me said that there is no way it'd fit... I think he's right...

yellowcab

posted on 13/1/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
So the ongoing joke would say, I went down the garage to finish my bootlid, and here is the progress, but it's kinda wearing thin now...

Whilst I wait for some grub screws to fix my carbon tops on my cycle wings, my attention turned to aerodynamics, ducting, being sure engine temp is as cool as possible, along with hot air being sucked out the back of my nosecone, now it has the holes to do so...

This is what we started with:

The oil cooler position is really going to help the whole ally ducting really, as I'll be using the little m6 bolts on either edge to hold it all together, as the ducting (like Dave mentioned) only needs to be the size of the rad core itself

Also, I need to block this off, so the cool air doesn't "hit" the cooler, then just take its easiest route, which would be straight out the top

First off, measure the width of the rad, and make it become narrower as the nose gets narrower otherwise it'll foul

Offer it up, and mark where its going to be mounted and how

Do the necessary, being sure it tucks under the lip of the rad, and i'll be using the cooler brackets to hold it tight

This is the underside of the top section, tight up against the oil cooler

Nose on, first time, bang on, this piece protrudes 140mm (all are different so don't take any notice of my actual measurements) my photos are purely to show how I went about doing it, so there is the first job jobbed...

Next up, the sides, the front edge of the new Donkervoort nose is actually vertical, yet my rad follows the angle of my chassis so its leaning back everso slightly, so we have 125mm protrusion at the top edge of the rad, and 100mm at the bottom edge of the rad

Again, ignore the measurements written here, a few fettles were done, passenger side done, but needs a little adding to it

Remember my top seciton I said needed narrowing towards the front of the car, for his nose style, it doesn't it can be square, so those corners I cut off, I taped back on lol, you gotta love evolution in these templates lol

So here is the 'new' top and side sections on, again, right to the edge of the core

Nose back on, fits - bonus, as you can just see the edge of the side piece, I will be contouring this to the inside shape of the nose, as it will also give the nosecone some added strength too

Excure Mr.Air - you have to pass through the rad if you want to get out... win/win

Bottom piece is going to be roughtly a 45degree angle facing down towards the ground, which is good, as the nose hangs beneath the bottom of the rad core, and the shape looks a little something like this

Fits like so, tucks under the rad core edge again

Here you can see where it will evolve slightly, the side panel will have a sharper angle at the bottom, and shaped on the front edge to mimic the inside of the nose, so I will tape a bit extra on here at the bottom to meet the bottom piece

Here is where I finished for the evening, but it's beginning to take shape, once I have all my cardboard templates, I'll put those onto aluminium and have them powercoated black

[Edited on 13/1/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 14/1/14 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply, however behind the radiator is staying as is, I have so many holes in my engine bay, top of bonnet, side of bonnet, nose cone now and wider side panels that I'm pretty sure that the hot air will escape lol
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/14 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sam, I think we all appreciate your input into this, but maybe your taking things a bit too seriously.

He's not making a race car and I think it's more a bit of fun then chasing 10th of a second. It's not really necessary what he's doing as his coolings fine and it doesn't need over cooling.

I'll be doing something similar on mine but I couldn't fit anything behind my radiator either.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Sam, I think we all appreciate your input into this, but maybe your taking things a bit too seriously.

He's not making a race car and I think it's more a bit of fun then chasing 10th of a second. It's not really necessary what he's doing as his coolings fine and it doesn't need over cooling.

I'll be doing something similar on mine but I couldn't fit anything behind my radiator either.

I dont take things seriously, perhaps you should up your game though and stop assuming others have the same view. All i have suggested is what caterham have done to improve the efficiency of their design, its not about chasing 10ths of seconds.Its about trying to gain a full knowledge of your subject. Buying some aero for the front is taking things relatively seriously,hence my enthusiasm for this project.

The beauty about over cooling is you can control the cooling by restricting it or having it fully open when the weathers too hot, if you read into it in more detail its about 'air flow' and drag.

Your last statment is a contradiction though. But as you apparently want to speak for others and think everyone only wants to think about this subject at the same level you do,ill take you worldy advice and refrain.

Olly, good luck.

40inches

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I know olly very well so I know what he wants

Anything except finishing the boot lid?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I think someone else will have to do the lid lol

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

yellowcab

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not taking anything seriously Sam

Being totally honest, I'm not doing it to aid cooling, I have never even looked at temp gauge whilst driving. LOL

It's more just something to do, and the front edge tipping down will aid downforce (lol)

The aero stuff is for shits & giggles, bought it on a whim, wasn't looking for the stuff, it just happened to come up the other night and impulse bought it, it's a road car at the end the day with tax, insurance and MOT, with the occasional trackday thrown in.

Having different cycle wings and stays for different offset and width tyres doesn't interest me, and if I can be bothered to get the front aero stuff to fit (as it's for a Westfield) then I'll only plonk it on, on a track day lol of it doesn't fit, I'll cut them up and use the bits of fibreglass as brackets for stuff

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
There you go my point is proven. Too serious.

Too serious in your eyes. As said up your game.

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
I'm not taking anything seriously Sam

Being totally honest, I'm not doing it to aid cooling, I have never even looked at temp gauge whilst driving. LOL

It's more just something to do, and the front edge tipping down will aid downforce (lol)

The aero stuff is for shits & giggles, bought it on a whim, wasn't looking for the stuff, it just happened to come up the other night and impulse bought it, it's a road car at the end the day with tax, insurance and MOT, with the occasional trackday thrown in.

Having different cycle wings and stays for different offset and width tyres doesn't interest me, and if I can be bothered to get the front aero stuff to fit (as it's for a Westfield) then I'll only plonk it on, on a track day lol of it doesn't fit, I'll cut them up and use the bits of fibreglass as brackets for stuff

Fair enough, but the detail you have gone into represented an element of interest that i thought was higher than you have explained you wish to go. Apologies for getting this wrong, but you have posted a lot of photos which doesnt nessesarily indicate someone who isnt just
mildy intersted

[Edited on 14/1/14 by sam919]

40inches

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Not far off the Donkervort

yellowcab

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't fart without taking a photo of it, lol, it's just what us photographers do. haha I do nothing withou photos.

Infact, if I didn't take photos, maybe all this would have been done by now, but not the bootlid (yawn)

Y'see, it pisses me off when people do things to their car, they only post a finished photo, and THEN are too a moke & mirrors as to how they went about it, on fear of someone 'copying', all a bit childish that, in my opinion.

Reason for pics is to help others along the way which by reading peoples comments, has done so, so happy chappy

[Edited on 14/1/14 by yellowcab]

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sam919
quote:
There you go my point is proven. Too serious.

Too serious in your eyes. As said up your game.

Wasn't necessary. Olly didn't need it.

Perhaps he should be the judge of that, or perhaps your a bit miffed at your own knowledge not being upto scratch

Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Love it!!

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Not far off the Donkervort

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sam919

Perhaps he should be the judge of that, or perhaps your a bit miffed at your own knowledge not being upto scratch

I know all about aero and I've seen many race car cooling solution, so don't assume I don't know anything. As said several times but your not listening very well. I know oly very well. I speak to him in the phone at least once a week and have hour long text conversations through out the day. So wind your neck back in because it's you who don't have the knowledge.

That hit a nerve! well if you know all about aero, why is your 'best' mate Olly questions about it online? your nose is out of joint as someone knows and is willing to share more knowledge than yourself, your attitude is one that restricts knowledge being shared. Im not assuming anything im going on your input into the topic, which is not all that great at a level your uncomfortable with.

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
This is what you don't get, its not about you, your friendship with the OP is nothing to do with the thread yet you have taken it upon yourself to dictate its content and what other peoples contributions should be. The beauty about forums is people can discuss and share.

Poor darts.

DavidW

posted on 14/1/14 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've been enjoying the thread for months - Please don't ruin it.

Thanks

David

Mods - feel free to delete this post (and maybe soime others?)

40inches

posted on 14/1/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I've been enjoying the thread for months - Please don't ruin it.

Thanks

David

Mods - feel free to delete this post (and maybe soime others?)

I agree, draw a line under and walk away

sam919

posted on 14/1/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm out
yellowcab

posted on 14/1/14 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Goodness me, seems as though we need a tidy up. I've just come back to WW3.

Not sure if any mods look in here, but it'd be good to have a clean up, or just leave it. Whatever suits

I'll continue with my progress later once I've had a tinker.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Await the update!

Ps. Done my bit for ya ;-)

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Fozzie

posted on 14/1/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have been following of late.....

Did think about a 'prune' but decided against it, as it would be too easy to
ruin the flow of the progressions whys and where-fors so I will leave it as is.

However .... to some out there, everyone is entitled to a point of view, we all have
a 'take' and or experience on what may/maybe/not a problem, so alternative points of view should be encouraged and
discussed to give the minds of the wider populous something more to think about.

I am sure that the OP/yellowcab is more than capable of explaining his informative thread to any
enquiring minds without 'others' jumping in.
To those, please do not clutter or detract from the thread and let the OP answer any questions
about his work himself.

Fozzie (Admin)

Edit to add....I see that one detractor has already done a bit of 'clearing up' ..thus making it slightly nonsensical, whilst I was writing the above......Hmmmmm!

[Edited on 14-1-14 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

CosKev3

posted on 14/1/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Keep up the good work B)

Great thread.

yellowcab

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
So I was only allowed 10 minutes down there tonight, lol, and I finally completed my bootlid - yay!!!

OK, OK, no I didn't but I wanted to finish of this ducting so I had my templates for ally

So I finished off last night with a gap at the bottom of the side panel, first thing was to add some to my template to get rid, done.

I also didn't like the fact my ducting didn't remotely follow the contour of the inside of my nose cone, I know its never seen, but I know its there, so I did my best to mimic it, you can see I added 2 triangular 'wings' onto the forward most edge

Comparison of before and after, minimal, but I know its done now

Much better

Then I removed the template thus far, and pushed my luck and drew around the side panel to create the drivers side, so this will test my brackets are level, and the Donkervoort nose is symetrical...

Driver side, straight off

Didn't fit perfect, but it was as close as I could have expected, so after a trim - we finally have the full template

The nose can be fitted and removed with these in place - so it ends my want for a tilting nose cone lol

Couple of other random shots, and I need opinions please - would you risk making this out of one section of aluminum with folds in each corner (would look the neatest, but the hardest to do) or just make 4 seperate section, and think about mounting them to each other at a later date

[Edited on 14/1/14 by yellowcab]

<<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.