Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  22    23    24    25    26    27    28  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
yellowcab

posted on 16/1/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is the neatest way of doing it, which leaves no gaps around the rollcage legs, as my current one has gaps inbetween the boot lid, and the inside of the rollcage legs which I really dislike...

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
The MDF is now only a template, and it will be made in ally now I have found a supplier of some free bits
The opening or 'boot lid' cannot be made any wider, as my rear rollcage legs get closer together the further up the cage they go - so should I have the opening wider, the boot lid wouldn't be able to open all the way

yellowcab

posted on 17/1/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Going to be selling on the two genuine Westfield items, full width and half width aero front.

Julian @ AeroDynamix has first refusal as he asked to buy them before I even got my hands on them, but I know he's currently unwell - they'll go for sale once I've heard from Julian

yellowcab

posted on 19/1/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Friday night led me here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=188202

yellowcab

posted on 20/1/14 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle wings back from the coaters, looking fresh

Managed to get my hands on some 4mm foamex to do the rad ducting, incredibly easy to cut with a jigsaw, and easy to bend once heated up.... I really wanted to try and do it in a single piece, but I realise the bit I had got for free wasn't deep enough as it obviously has a curve in when linear due to the corners.

It's quite flimsy stuff in a long piece, but once cut down the right size, and bent, it becomes very rigid which is perfect for what I wanted.

I weighed the 2mm ally I was going to use, and it was 744grams, and this stuff weighs 198 grams, so incredibly light too

Used my template, but had to do it in two parts. booooo

Well chuffed how this fitted for a first go, however this nearest corner isn't quite a 90degree, which I wanted it to be

So I thought I'd just bend it a little to make it 90degree, but forgot to heat it up, heavy handedness leads to this

Rather than sulking, just cracked on with MK2, and we all know that MK2's are better than MK1s anyway, right?

Follows the contours nicely, and fits very snug

Top piece now has extra 'wings' either side, which will be folded over 90degrees and riveted/ bolted... but I dropped my heatgun, and daren't try and bend it or manipulate it without heating it up - so I have to buy another heatgun first

Goes without saying it'll be wrapped in 3M Dinoc Carbon, and won't be blue, and just waiting for Pat to finish wrapping my nose cone which he kindly said he'd do as he's a damn good wrapper

[Edited on 20/1/14 by yellowcab]

daveb666

posted on 21/1/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a spaceship
Top jobbing, used foamex loads of times but never thought about bending it.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/1/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Nice, think I prefer the blue ! make a feature of it

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Digimon

posted on 21/1/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
That looks brilliant, I can see this being my next mod for my car

Nice work

yellowcab

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
No real update other than the rad ducting is wrapped, I wish someone had mentioned to me how harmful it is to your health, talk about stressful lol

Never used the stuff before with difficult angles, and my god - I never wanna do it again!

So the top piece went relatively straight forward, and turned out nice

Top section resting on check the fit & holes

Bent over the 'wings' so I could drill straight through and the side sections to bolt them together

The sides & bottom U section was a complete pain the bum, so it's not very pretty, but it'll do the job - a couple of creases bits & bobs, but hey ho

So this is the final article & complete unit as it'll stay, can be fitted and removed as one piece too

Little M5 nuts & bolts holding them together (can see a wee crease in the side section here)

Here it is all bolted on the car, looks exactly as I had hoped to be honest

Nose on - still black at the moment... you can only actually currently see the bottom section, but I wouldn't have wanted to leave the rest unwrapped as I know its there lol... infact, after it has mesh on, I doubt you'll see any of it lol

daveb666

posted on 23/1/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a good job as always. I'm looking forward to seeing it out and about again!

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Proby

posted on 23/1/14 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Top job again that man!

Visit GraphicMonster

40inches

posted on 23/1/14 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice tape measure! Bet that came in handy for the boot lid

DavidW

posted on 23/1/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
That looks great, good work!
yellowcab

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
So I got back nose cone back last night after having it wrapped, ended up costing me £50 as the wrap wasn't proper vehicle wrap and not conformable enough to DIY, doesn't easily allow air to escape etc.

There are a few join lines - but its good enough until I decide to change the cars colour, then Pat will be doing the whole shebang, he just doesn't know it yet

Appreciate its not everyones cuppa tea, it doesn't need to be - I like it, I like the fact its a marmite nose

Wrapped

Once fitted - one last check for ducting fitment, the carbon looks nice against the yellow, despite it not going to be see after meshing

This is with the extra plastics, that site in the mouths, which slightly reduce (and improve the look) of the openings, tidies them up rather than looking like rough carbon/ fibreglass

Rolled the car outside for the first time in months, and plonked my new carbon wings ontop of the tyre just for a few shots...

40inches

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Now that looks nice I was going to say "Whats wrong with a black nose cone"
Description
Description

But I think you are right, your shape of nose cone looks much better body colour
You are doing a cracking job Olly.

ReMan

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think the black nosecone look was 10 times better that this

Just kidding, better as it is.
Guess what I have a spare black nosecone in my "shed" in case I fancied that look, but have always resisted :-)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just looking back through old pages, so the last time I drove the car was 25th October 2013... 3 months ago today... during that time...

> Bought & fitted a Healtech Speedohealer - so I'll have an accurate speedo, such a luxury! (adding 87 grams)
> Changed from heavy 15" wheels, down to light 13" wheels, saving 24.4kg dry, and 18.0kg wet of unsprung weight

Wheel & tyre combo weights
Caterham 6J wheels with Avon CR500 175/55/13 tyre - 10.2kg (my dry fronts)
Caterham 6J wheels with Yoko Advan A005 Slick 200/50VR13 tyre - 11.6kg (my dry rears)
Total dry weight: 43.6 kg
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 185/60/13 tyre - 12kg (my wet & every day fronts)
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 205/60/13 tyre - 13kg (my wet & every day rears)
Total wet weight: 50.0 kg

> Removed old stuck seized rear callipers, and shafted pads - with new ones (no weight change)
> Made a boot box (adding a 1.3kg)
> Sold old fuel filler & steel connecting pipework (saving 1.2kg)
> Bought trailer bits - still WIP
> Bought 3.14 rear diff, but decided to wait until next winter to do the swap to eliminate anymore 'down time'
> New Carbon CSR cycle wings (currently fitting) (saving 824grams)
> Swapped from MK Indy nose cone, to Donkervoort (saving 2kg)
> Carbon wrapped foamex rad ducting (adding 198 grams)
> Most importantly, having my car setup at ProComp

Sooooo... 542kg start weight, came off the road, 3 months later... going back on the road at 517kg (25kgs down)

With 13" wheels, and having been setup, and rear brakes that actually work... I'm rather excited about taxing it on Saturday (1st February!)

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Now that looks nice I was going to say "Whats wrong with a black nose cone"
Description
Description

But I think you are right, your shape of nose cone looks much better body colour
You are doing a cracking job Olly.
Dave - you already have Donker-holes... never noticed that before

Cheers for the comments & continued support.

Next up is cycle wing stays & bootlid (i actually fell off my chair typing that)

40inches

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I think the black nosecone look was 10 times better that this

Just kidding, better as it is.
Guess what I have a spare black nosecone in my "shed" in case I fancied that look, but have always resisted :-)

Yellow and Black. The colour of choice for the discerning gentleman. lol

40inches

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Boot lid? Boot lid? No, rings a bell but can't place it

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice the Donkervoort nose doesn't go down as far as the original Indy nose, so in the close up shot of the front in my garage, you'll see the box section chassis is exposed.

Thinking my plan is to refit my front splitter, and as it exits the front of the car, it'll cover this lip

However - I'm gagging to get an angle grinder to this carbon LMP2 front splitter to get that to fit lol

40inches

posted on 26/1/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have to say that looks the dogs dangly bits Olly I'm beginning to think that mine looks too pretty by comparison, especially now it has the full screen Perhaps I should fit a front wing

yellowcab

posted on 26/1/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
haha, different strokes for different folks Dave

I love the hardcore home made look personally, I'm not a fan of pretty, bling or silver... but everyone has their own personal tastes

If I could make something, that isn't off the shelf, I'd much rather do that, than buying something ready made - its all apart of the fun

Radical aero wings front and rear wings are right up my street - function over form...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/1/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely needs a front wing!

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

yellowcab

posted on 26/1/14 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
It won't necessarily change the aesthetics too much, as I'm replicating the Caterham Levante front wing...

Unless I take my angle grinder to this...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/1/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
That nose needs a wing. It's begging for one. The caterham one looks functional

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

<<  22    23    24    25    26    27    28  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.