stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
did my bit

used the bollox word too

atb

steve

Phil Allonby

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear! i did see this months practical classics and saw that article too, in fact that was one of the reasons why i popped in here to see what you guys response to it was.
the perception that some people (certainly those that i've spoken to) is that locost suffers because of a perception that there is no one brand that people can associate with. especially with all the makers having a stab at the market to some extent. a friend told me that he thought locosts were just made up of bits from various cars. this could either be a very good thing: ie pick the best chassis from one place and the best body from elsewhere, but he got the impression that it was a bit of a cobble up on a shoestring. either that or some amateur welding lots of little bits of box section together (i hate it on other forums when people refer to it as "square tube!" needless to say i put him right, but i dont suppose he's on his own in the predjudice.

do you think that a lack of a single maker affects the image/desirability of the locost?

phil

Phil Allonby

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
?

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i have found all the locost/mk/luego builders i have met very friendly and some things they have done for fellow builders really have been beyond the call of duty,read elsewhere as to how others have treated their own

where should i be searching for eveidence of bad treatment???? give me a clue i'm tired!
:-)
phil

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
no

however, there is a form of inverted snobbery, where we consider that cateringvan owners are wimps that just bought in to 'the scene' cos they dont have the talent to build from scratch.

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
"One rung above a Locost, the Robin Hoood is another budget seven that can be built from a dead Sierra on a shoestring.
While the engineering is sound enough, it is nothing to get excited about - but if you keep the build costs down you should be able to get your money back at resale time"

I hope the YTS trainee who wrote this has been given a P45. It has clearly been written by someone totally unaware of the subject being dicussed, or the technical issues relating to Locosts and Robin Hoods.

Please research the facts relating to Locosts and Robin Hoods and write an accurate article showing the pro's and con's of the cars concerned. I feel you would be very suprised by the results of your research.

Such unintelligent spluttings cheapen your otherwise excellent magazine

My contribution to enlightening Practical Classics

Wankers

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Alan B

posted on 23/4/04 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Allonbyi hate it on other forums when people refer to it as "square tube!"l

Phil, why is that?

To me it is square tube, my steel receipts say ERW square tube.....

I associate the term box section with RHS and SHS which isn't what we use...RHS doesn't go down to the wall thicknesses we use, I believe 2mm is the thinnest....

Unless of course yours is made out of box section.

Still I guess it's only semantics...just wanted to voice my view on the terminology...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 23/4/04 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
phil,look at misrable cateringvan owning bstards

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

theconrodkid

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
cant find the article with this steam driven ex russian army compo,anyone want to paste it up or send it to me

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Duh conrod!

Its right at the top of one of the new panels on the LHS of the front page as a popular topic.

It was right what you were told - it does make your eyesite bad.

now wheres that 'post reply button' on the fuzzy screen in front of me

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 23/4/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
i did an email too. i also pointed out that no seven replicas are either practical or classics...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Phil Allonby

posted on 23/4/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
hi alan b

All i know about the box section/tube question is that as an engineering apprentice it was drummed into me that "tube" meant a "hollow cylindrical channel" and not a hollow rectangular channel - hence the tubular bit. as for manufacturers putting it on invoices nothing surprises me anymore!

like you say its just a little linguistic nonsense, but things like that have a habit ofd driving me crazy!

and no, my car isnt made from box, in fact its now sold, and i'm at a loose end. it was a robin hood but following nthe work i had done at a certain engineering firm its been sold now and theres a big seven shaped hole in the garage!!!!!

phil

JoelP

posted on 23/4/04 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Allonby
...and theres a big seven shaped hole in the garage!!!!!

phil

get it filled quick then man!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

undecided

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
only way to describe a robin hood? is proper b****** but then you get what you pay for i suppose these days
chrisg

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose some Robin Hoods are better than some Locosts, all down to the builder really.

You can certainly make a very nice RH as you can a Locost but with a Locost you don't start by correcting other peoples mistakes, hats off to the RH lads it's reputed to be quite a difficult job.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Phil Allonby

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
rh

I'd agree with that, some of the stuff that I've read about on their forum shows a pretty impressive level of ingenuity. The best thing about their forum however is the sense you get of helping out their fellow drivers (i've now read the miserable Ba***rds thread) With the possible exception of a few ar***oles i think most kitcar drivers would be shocked by the cateringvans lack of support! their hoods regional secretaries organise regular trips to current builders who are experiencing any difficulties, so one sunday 20 hoods will roll up outside your house with advice and help. must be a great boost to the morale too. I cant imagine that anywhere near as many hoods would get finished without the support of the club. Much as on here i suspect.
phil

Guinness

posted on 27/4/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just been on totalkitcar.com news page and noticed RH are up for sale??
Markp

posted on 27/4/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Phil Allonby

After reading your post, I have to agree with you. I'm in the robinhood club and I have never met so many people who will help out at the drop of the hat. The meetings are great, the events which are organised are fantastic and I wouldn't have it any other way. They show no prejudice about what car you have or drive and the web site never slags other s off.

As for the robinhood ranking side of things, I honestly built my car form scratch because I couldn't afford to buy a kit, I belive that (and again it's my own opinion) that I am at the lowest scale of the kit car trade because I didn't build a kit car, I built a car. This was the easiest way without investing alot of money at one time.

Mark.

[Edited on 28/4/04 by Markp]

James

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote

MarkP,

Caught you... I spotted what you've now edited out of your post written last night!

I actually replied to it too- then thought better of it!

All the best,

James

[Edited on 28/4/04 by James]

Markp

posted on 28/4/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
James.

Guilty

I wrote it last night after a few beers and saw sense this mornig to edit it.

The whole topic winds me up, why does one have to be better than the other? As everyone is in to the same thing can't that be classed as equal?

I know you get the Caterham owners looking down on people but why should we stoop to their level.

Mark

Phil Allonby

posted on 10/5/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
hello all,

i know this topic s abit old by now, but i just spotted a post on the RhOCAR site that reminded me of it, and all the nasty things we said about cateringvans not helping folk out.

a guys bought an old car thats been bodged quite seriously! all the mounts for the front end have been cut off!!!! One of the guys on the board has offered to strip down his front end for the guy and give him a set of measurements so he can rebuild the front end. and the cost for dismantling his priode and joy? A couple of pints at newark.

Nothing i wouldnt expect on here though, but good to share, since it confirms that we're all in the same boat, and very nearly all of us just want to help out.

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.