Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ad pop up
GO

posted on 19/3/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
It'll run fine with win2k.

Machine at home is a P2 266 running win2k advanced server!! little bit on slow side but its not too bad, memory is more important, half gig ram (512Mb) is essential for w2k, the more the better though.

Staple balls

posted on 19/3/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GO
half gig ram (512Mb) is essential for w2k, the more the better though.

really, you're very wrong on that, my other box is running on 256meg, and thet includes an FTP server and a gaming server (normally has 40-80 cpu players on it)

GO

posted on 19/3/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
when I say essential, what I mean is, if its your only machine and you want to use the machine directly for everyday stuff, browsing, spreadsheets etc, as I imagine is probably Surrey's situation, you wouldnt wanna be using it with much less than 512.

for running as a games server cpu speed is more critical.

Peteff

posted on 19/3/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
also win2000 is still supported by microsoft, so updates are still very much available.

Due to demand, windows 98se support has been extended by microsoft till 2006 and has not been stopped as was previously planned in January of this year. We are still downloading updates for it from MSN on my wifes computer. I have 2000pro on a PII 333 with 192 meg and it runs well, no crashes yet and fast enough for web use.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Staple balls

posted on 19/3/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
GO, i'd still say 512 was overstating things a little. 256 is the ideal minimum, 128 the real minimum.

given that the other machine i mention is used to do a lot of normal home use as well.

i also have a 3rd box, being a 233 cyrix with 32 meg of ram on windows Me, that does bloody big spreadsheets (a business working at ~£250k turnover)

peteff, didn't realise about 98Se, what's the story on plain 98?

GO

posted on 19/3/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
only my experience, with 256 it was pretty horendous, 512 made a huge difference, but I am running w2kAS so its going to be most intensive on resources than standard. However, I have disabled most of the extra services so I wouldn't expect AS to make that much difference.

but equally, I'm not a network admin so its probably a long way from the most efficient setup.

Staple balls

posted on 19/3/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
true on both points, i'm really giving the minimum needed for basic use.

i find 1.5gig to be a little limiting for what i do, but then it i do quite a bit of video/photoshop work

Surrey Dave

posted on 19/3/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Meanwhile!!!

Meanwhile back at my I.E./atoque.com popup problem, I do not appear to be finding the .exe files they talk about in the system32 folder.............
Surrey Dave

posted on 19/3/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
SSSSHH!! I Think Its Gone!

I think I found it in the System folder not system32.

64k exe file by TMAX.

deleted it and the registry key for it , so far so good.

i'm scared to close I.E now, in case it's lurking..........

Staple balls

posted on 19/3/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
first thing worth doing will be searching for a file called HOSTS on your computer

what you wanna do is edit the hosts file to contain the url for the the site the popup is loading (follow the same style as the other entries) and enter an ip address of 127.0.0.1 so it appears as

127.0.0.1 evilpopupsite.com

this won't fix the popup, but it wll stop the page loading.

Peteff

posted on 19/3/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
From MSN site

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition support was scheduled to end on January 16, 2004. However, continual evaluation of the Support Lifecycle policy revealed that customers in the smaller and the emerging markets needed additional time to upgrade their product. Therefore, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me will continue to be supported after January 16, 2004.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];LifeAn1 tells more about it

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Staple balls

posted on 19/3/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh

shame about M.E though, should never have been made or released

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.