Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mozilla Firefox
craig1410

posted on 5/10/04 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
I agree with some of what you said above but I don't think you can compare 95,98,ME to 2000 and XP due to the significant differences in the architecture. I am using W2000 Pro right now because it is stable and does everything I need it to. I use Windows XP Pro on my company laptop (I'm a software consultant btw) because this is the company standard and it does run better on laptops due to better power management and hardware support.

If you want to avoid having XP moan at you to reregister when you make hardware changes then use the corporate version, it doesn't need activation! I'm not encouraging piracy but the way I look at it, if you pay for the software then you should be allowed to use it without getting hassle every time you change the hardware!

Ideally, I hope to make the break and start using Linux as my desktop operating system shortly and be done with Microsoft for good! I have been using Linux since around 1994 and have a couple of servers up in my attic which act as firewall and web server amongst other things. Linux can do almost everything which Windows can do and a great deal more besides and it is virtually free and doesn't suffer from the usual security weaknesses as Windows. The only reason I have not yet dropped Windows is because I have a few Windows games which I play (mainly F1 sims and Counterstrike) which require windows. I think the next time I reinstall my machine I will create a dual boot with a copy of windows XP on a small games only partition and the rest set up for use with Linux. Everything else (Office progs, email, browser, software development tools etc etc) which I use every day is supported in Linux and I can always use something like VM Ware to run the few apps which won't run in Linux directly (eg. Visual Basic)

Anyone else out there made the switch to Linux on the Desktop?
Cheers,
Craig.

Peteff

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
use winbollox 2008

They'll be releasing a beta version of it in 2012, shortly followed by a series of patches. I formatted a computer for a friend recently,it was constantly crashing, and installed my old copy of 98 on it to check it over. I gave it back to him and he upgraded it to ME with his disk,and it broke again. Firefox runs on my 2000pro alright but you can use MYIE2 which is based on Explorer and has tabbed browsing and other features if you want the add ons.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blueshift

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto craig's comments about 95, 98, me vs 2000 and XP. the latter two have a significantly better architecture and it shows in stability, lack of driver problems and weird bugs. NT4 was pretty rock solid too, but not as flexible, no USB support, innapropriate for a modern desktop OS.

I ran FreeBSD as a desktop OS for a while. I would do again, but I am a lazy fart these days and prefer to spend my time climbing and building cars rather than tinkering around getting my computer working just so. linux may be more plug-and-play these days but I wouldn't use it for snobbery reasons

Noodle

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a couple of machine's I've been running Linux on (Mandrake 9.2 and Fedora Core 2)

I dual boot my laptop from XPSP2 to Fedora, but I haven't gone over completely because I still have software that needs Windows.

However, once I get an FC2 server setup here at home (that'll be my development and email server), that I can access from any different email client Outlook/Evolution etc, then I'll be almost completely Linux, with 2 servers and 2 desktops.

I have a machine in my garage that's been running as a server on Mandrake since Christmas and has yet to put a foot wrong. Deeply impressive stability.

I administer machines using a VNC connection, from inside the home, or when I'm working remotely. With XP, I feel that there's too much gilding on it that gets in the way of function.

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. I've been running Firefox on an Athlon 1.4 for ages and have yet to experience any instability, either under XP or Linux.

p.p.s. My wife accidentally booted into Linux the other day and hadn't noticed that she was surfing on Mozilla. She thought I'd been p*ssing around with the icons and stuff. I expect to see much larger public Linux-usage on the desktop in the near future.

Your sort make me sick

craig1410

posted on 6/10/04 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Blueshift,
Free BSD is okay I suppose, I remember that it held the record (and probably still does) for longest uptimes on www.netcraft.com
I actually have FreeBSD running on my Monowall firewall at home.

Noodle,
Glad to see that I'm not the only "pioneer" of Linux on this site. I agree, the reasons not to use Linux on the desktop have largely been addressed in the last year or two and there should be no reason for the average punter to feel locked in to the Microsoft "vision" any more. Linux is chipping away at MS's marketshare (as is Firefox) and long may that continue!!

I used to be an OS/2 user and actually bought a copy of Warp 3.0 back in 1996. This was a classis VHS versus Betamax situation where the technically inferior Windows 3.1/95 beat OS/2 purely on marketing know how. The difference with Linux is that no one person or company owns it so they can't pull the plug like IBM did with OS/2.

Cheers,
Craig.

zenarcher

posted on 6/10/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using Opera browser (now at version 7.54 and free) for a few years, faster than IE, built in pop up blocker ,e-mail, skins,themes etc.

Works well with ME (if you have to),since I only recently changed up to XP.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.