Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loss of oil pressure on a crossflow
David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/04 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
It's a commmon problem and the T piece fractures under vibration of engine.

Mmmm... mine's made of brass - not noted for its resilience under vibration! They should have made it out of steel.

quote:

Demon Tweeks and Merlin Motorsport sell a remote 'kit' for something like £13. It has adaptors, piping and joints to take it away from engine.

Cheers Rob, I'll go and peruse the catalogues.

DJ

Stu16v

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
David, sorry to hear about your engine troubles.

quote:

Oil filter failure (unlikely)

Err, nope, thats where my money is at the moment. In my fairly short driving/racing experience (I'd like to think...), I have had two oil filters f**k up and cause total loss of oil pressure. One on a Mini, and one on a Ford CVH. Interestingly, they were the same make oil filter too.

Needless, to say, I dont use that brand any more.

Dont just build it.....make it!

David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Funny you should mention that... I've just about finished rebuilding the engine, after finding absolutely nothing wrong inside (apart from one crank bearing that was probably scored by some dirt). I've plastigage'd every bearing and they're all spot on for clearance.

I'm left with just one suspect, which is the pump and it's accessories. The pump was a bit 'gritty' but OK when I looked inside and cleaned it; now it feels fine. The problem may have been a relief valve that stuck and un-stuck later, as it was OK when I looked. This only leaves the oil filter, which was common to both pumps I tried.

What was the dodgy make? It's always worth knowing these things!

BTW: When I went to get the new bearing shells (Scholar Engines, Suffolk - cheaper than most mail-order companies) I asked about my problems with filter clearance as I have to hoist the engine to remove the filter! They recommend a Renault filter to the Formula Ford folk as it's half the length, so I'm trying one of them. I'll be changing the oil every winter, so it'll only be 3k miles max between changes.

Tell you one thing - it's getting bl**dy hard to find 20W/50 oil now! Halfrauds don't even understand what it is - "not on the shelf? Haven't got it." - and most of the local motor factors only sell cheap rubbish oil or a few Castrol variants, all for modern cars. Eventually I found some "Duckhams Classic", after a LOT of searching.

rgds,

David

[Edited on 18/9/04 by David Jenkins]

Stu16v

posted on 19/9/04 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
They were both Fram filters. I now choose not to use them for the reasons mentioned above. That is from personal experience/choice, and I am in no way saying that the product is actually pants...

Dont just build it.....make it!

David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I have no idea what it was!!!!!!

I've checked all the engine's giblets, re-assembled it all and put it back in the car. Spun it over with the starter, and at the second spin the oil light went out and I got some pressure on the gauge!

My last guess is that the oil pump's pressure relief valve stuck open, but reset once I took the pump off the engine.

Apart from that I have no idea...
... just hope that I don't lose pressure again!

Thamks to EVERYONE who posted hints and/or advice - all were followed up at some time or other!

rgds,

David

[Edited on 22/9/04 by David Jenkins]

Lightning

posted on 23/9/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't knock it. At least it works!!

Anyway well done and good luck with the SVA

Steve

DEAN C.

posted on 23/9/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
You cant do this to us! All the suspense and hours of thought put into helping you out and NO ANSWER!AAAAARRRGGHH!!

The only funny thing is we all know for the next 200 miles you are going to be watching that oil light like a hawk!
Glad it's sorted,and I think your explanation seems the most logical..
DEAN......

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/04 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
It is an electric one. As for the wiring & components then they're all brand new - and if there is/was a wiring fault then it's all my fault, as I designed the loom!

I was wondering about this, so I revisited my diagrams - and the 2 senders are in totally different parts of the loom, with no common wiring.

Thanks anyway!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 26/9/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Whoopee!

Well, I connected everything up and tried it out - started almost immediately, and I got oil pressure within a few seconds - 65-70psi! I bought a new high-pressure oil pump, as it only cost a few Pounds more than just buying a new drive gear (don't ask me why!).

The only after-effect of losing oil pressure is that my tappets are distinctly more noisy than they used to be - I think my cam took a beating during the oil shortage. Still, it runs well enough to book a new SVA appointment.

rgds,

David

DEAN C.

posted on 26/9/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one,it's frustrating when you get problems but well done.
Good luck with the SVA.
DEAN

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.