Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina uprights anyone?
NS Dev

posted on 17/11/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
first lot of pricing has been done on the components for the uprights, they are looking like they will be £110 per pair powder coated, this includes bolt on stub axles and various options on fittings ( i.e maxi balljoints, transit draglinks , rod end and pin assemblies, as we do ours at the moment )
awaiting final prices on machined components ( may be cheaper yet ) and also on alloy hubs to go with these

please let me know your thoughts,
i will be producing these for ourselves and would be more than happy to supply the components for self assembly also for all you hardcore locosters

price for the alloy hubs is going to be £75 per pair inc bearings and nuts etc

best regards

marc

[Edited on 17/11/05 by marc n]

My initial thoughts are bloody flipping bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can verify those prices then unless everybody on here is a member of the fools are us club then they ought to be bloody interested!

NS Dev

posted on 17/11/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
more to the point, who the hell does your powder coating!

They deserve a flipping medal!

it's the best quality I have seen, and yet the components are some of the cheapest. Some decent powder coaters would be asking a good chunk of your price just for their bit!!

scotmac

posted on 28/11/05 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
To answer a question that Rorty had a while ago, sierra uprights suck. The hub and upright weigh about 13lbs and the orig caliper and rotor (disc) weigh about 23lbs (minus any mounting hardware).So, 36lbs+ of unsprung weight. The sierra KPI is also way too large.
Cheers, -sm

[Edited on 15/2/06 by scotmac]

scudracer

posted on 8/1/08 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the Caterham uprights are based on Standard/Triumph uprights. (Standard as in the automobile brand). These are the same uprights recommended for use in specials in the book "Racing & Sports Car Chassis Design" by M. Costin and D. Phipps. Yes, its the Costin who's the Cos in Cosworth and who was formerly a designer at Lotus Engineering. http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Sports-Car-Chassis-Design/dp/0837602963
I was at a track day and observed a Locost next to 1980s vintage Caterhams. It's quite obvious that the Cortina uprights are MASSIVE compared to the Standard/Triumph units.

[Edited on 8/1/08 by scudracer]

Shameless-ad-supported-blog-that-belongs-to-my-friend plug - http://www.sevenbuilder.com & http://www.bikervoodoo.com

MikeRJ

posted on 8/1/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Holy thread revival batman! 2 years later!
garage19

posted on 15/7/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
So what did ever happen to the fabricated uprights?

theconrodkid

posted on 17/4/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
2 years further on and we are none the wiser

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeR

posted on 18/4/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Holy thread revival batman! 2 years later!

(he said it so well, i thought i'd repeat it)

gavin174

posted on 11/9/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
and again...

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

Triton

posted on 10/2/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Boing said that springy bloke......I lost the files of Rorty's damn fine uprights when my poota died then personal stuff then even more personal stuff and operations and then a bingo I find those files on a usb drive.......

So they are with an engineering bod as I write as I don't do the getting dirty so much these days.
Once I have some prices etc I will let folk know if folk are still interested that is?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 10/2/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yay to this thread re-appearing.

What the hell happened to Rorty? Top bloke and really helpful to the more ignorant of us here. He get bored of the arguing?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 10/2/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well, here's his website...

Rorty linky

As for why he's not here any more - I think it was a classic case of a bloke who knows AND does stuff, ending up in arguments with "theoretical engineers" - the types who always had an opinion, but rarely produced anything...

I reckon that he simply got fed up with silly long-winded arguments (he was a bit "sensitive" to criticism, but often justified).

Triton

posted on 10/2/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had lost the dxf files I was given by Rorty but I was chuffed to bits to find them on a memory doodah after what must be 5 or 6 years.

I will use them on my creation but if prices come back and are "locost friendly" then it's creme eggs all round

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.