Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a zx9
JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
been making the gear shifter tonight, damn its cold out there

These heavy duty springs are taking a long time to arrive, do you (anyone!) think its ok to use the standard ones for a few weeks, then change oil and springs once its all working?

Ive also got the original exhaust off the bike, is it worth trying to use bits of it, either welded (it titanium i think) or sleeved? Not sure theres time to get one made before the 27th.

I need a new oil filter too, never owned a bike so i dont really know where to get one. Do motor factors stock bike parts normally, or do i have to find a bike dealer?

And finally, theres two pipes that head down to the oil filter, im guessing water to cool it, one is plumbed in already but the other just has a bolt in the end. Is this how it meant to be? Besides these, i can only see two main water pipes, i guess these go to the radiator, but is there meant to be an expansion tank in there? If so, hows it best to have that?

Sorry for all the questions!

ps got the prop ordered today.

JoelP

posted on 16/3/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
buzzing, got the cradle finished. You wouldnt believe how happy that made me, once i took the jack out! Prop is ready saturday, i need an apointment for the exhaust next. Main headache i see now is the clutch cable, but im going to try the bike cable approach and see how far i get. Still need the 100ohm resistor, but the wiring is well easy as far as i can tell. I chopped all the loom around when i first bought it, so its all nicely ready to go in! Hopefully looking at a friends zx9 soon so the plumbing should sort itself out.

I get the nagging feeling ive forgotten something, today i realised i probably need to source a silencer ASAP!

Gav

posted on 16/3/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your making good progress joel!
Peteff

posted on 16/3/06 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
The other pipe is plumbed into the bottom hose Joel. If you use plumbing fittings you can get 28mm x 15mm T then take it down to 8mm with a microbore fitting or a 22mm x 15mm if you have a Micra rad. The oil filter will be from a bike shop or MPS catalogue, check thefastone .100 ohms resistor was about 15p

[Edited on 16/3/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 21/3/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
IT LIVES!!!!
Guinness

posted on 21/3/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Joel.

Mine too! Although mine is no where near as significant a swap as yours. Just took a ZZR1100 C out and put a ZZR1100 D in. Fired up tonight, just got it settled into idle, when I got told to stop (SWIMBO mentioned it was 9pm and the car is right below the little one's room!!).

See you Monday!

JoelP

posted on 21/3/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
nice one, its a big stress having a deadline isnt it!
JoelP

posted on 25/3/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
finally im about finished. Im tempted to go for a spin now, but theres always a few things left to do - like make brackets for everything ive just fitted, change the gearbox bolt, threadlock the prop in, refit the radiator, repanel the tunnel, fit the clocks, then abuse it all day tomorrow and fix whatever breaks!

Im so happy

JoelP

posted on 26/3/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote

to close this little saga, that engine swap is the best thing ive ever done. The cars absolutely mental now. Phenominal in fact. Id have to recommend it to anyone who is addicted to speed

My clutch cable gave up when i was out, its ridiculously easy even without it. I didnt even have to blip the throttle for downshifts, probably because im used to car engines so the revs werent too high. Absolute madness.

5 mins to fix it and then back to 'testing'. If i dont make it back, its been fun.

zilspeed

posted on 27/3/06 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
How much quicker is it - in percentage terms or however you care to measure it ?

The car was a fairly quick little beast anyway - is it just incredibly quicker ?

(I've never been in a BEC)

JoelP

posted on 27/3/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
my bro asked for a percentage, its not possible to say really. I fumbled through the corners due to a poor gearchange mechanism (and a possible bent fork), but once it opens up on the straights its mental, munching through the gears

If you pass by, i'll show you

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.