Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 MNR Weight?
G.Man

posted on 12/1/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
Yep, a little odd to say the very least. It was not attached to the chassis in any way so could not strengthen anything. I presumed it was a bodge to get it through on SVA day and then forgotten about.
Marc?

Marc would not bodge the bottom seat belt mounts...

If it was al arge slab of metal strapped accross the car then it was almost certainly ballast

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 13/1/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've just popped out in my car to pick something up localy, the drive took me 30 minutes for some reason

The place I was picking the bits up from had a weighbridge so I asked if I could weigh the car. With half a tank of fuel it weighed in at 433kg (+/- 10kg)

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 13/1/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
How did that compare to the SVA weight Paul?
You muct be a bit happier with that

Rgds

Rich

coozer

posted on 13/1/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone can cut 10Kg by not eating all them pies!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

G.Man

posted on 13/1/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
I've just popped out in my car to pick something up localy, the drive took me 30 minutes for some reason

The place I was picking the bits up from had a weighbridge so I asked if I could weigh the car. With half a tank of fuel it weighed in at 433kg (+/- 10kg)

Thats pretty good for a road legal car...

chockymonster

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
SVA weight had it at 500kg (280 front, 220 rear from memory)

I haven't gone light weight everywhere, but anything I've purchased I have always gone for the lighter options. My wheels are lighter than CXRs for example. I've still got the Raceleda ally hubs to fit, I'm not sure they're massively lighter but it's another kilo or so.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Everyone can cut 10Kg by not eating all them pies!!

At 6'0 and 11 1/2 stone I don't think I can anymore
In fact I can't actually put weight on!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding "what I'm on about", I thought I had explained it quite well, it's a great big plate of steel.
Regarding it's point, I'm sure Marc will explain if he wants to.
The car was never raced as far as I have been told by MNR.
Over and out.

RichieC

posted on 13/1/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bitsilly, nobody was having a dig, but see it from our points of view. Most of us who posted in this thread have pretty intimate knowledge of the MNR chassis in one guise or another so for somebody to suggest there is a large piece of steel not connected to anything, is bound to raise an eyebrow or two.

The very phrase "was not attached to the chassis in any way" is puzzling enough.

To use words like "bodge" is also likely to arouse questions. It is something very clearly different to everyones chassis so naturally we are intrigued.

Not being a smartar5e but give us a clue.

[Edited on 13/1/07 by RichieC]

smart51

posted on 13/1/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Over and out.

Don't take offence. I know a few of the people who've contributed to this thread. I'm certain none of them meant it. As Roger has said, we are all familiar with the chassis having spent many hours drilling it, bolting to it and sitting in it pretending we've finished building. A big steel bar seems a bit odd, that's all.

Dillinger1977

posted on 14/1/07 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think it ever was raced, but I'm sure it was planned and built to be his racing car.
Somewhere along the line (ie probably realising he hadn't enough time to race it!) it got modified to be road legal.
The forgotten ballast sounds like the likeliest suggestion.

G.Man

posted on 14/1/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Regarding "what I'm on about", I thought I had explained it quite well, it's a great big plate of steel.
Regarding it's point, I'm sure Marc will explain if he wants to.
The car was never raced as far as I have been told by MNR.
Over and out.

I am sure he will when he reads it upon his return from the NEC..

Or of course you could have phoned him and asked..

Might have been a better course of action than saying bodge in here...

Pretty much everyone in here has built their car rather than buy a prebuilt one.. I guess as a result we know the car a bit better than you... and we know Marc pretty well too... My experience of working in Marcs workshop for 5 weeks, leads me to belive he would never bodge anything.. Take a course of non permanent action to pass an SVA yes... but then we all do that.. had you built one you would know this...

TimC

posted on 14/1/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Look, I obviously have a lot of time for Chris and Marc @ MNR but I do know that Ed and John have had to put a lot of work in to get the Orange car up-to-scratch so I can understand Ed's tone and concern. All was not cock-on when they got the car back to Wales.

Give him a break!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
G-man,
I too am sure Marc will explain, which is why I said 'I'm sure marc will explain'.
Yes I could have phoned him but why should I phone him, I didn't have a question I just had a way of saving 7.5 kilos if other cars were made in the same way.
This is a discussion forum, why shy away from negative points. Both positive and negative aspects are allowed to be discussed, cleverer manufacturers will use this information in their development and builders can learn from others ideas.
Regarding using the b word instead of "take a course of non permanent action", well I was bang out of order and can only apologise for being so vulgar.

RichieC

posted on 14/1/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bitsilly, I think your'e barking up the wrong tree mate.

I don't think anyone is blindly jumping to MNR's defence, my point and I think that of others was that your original post wasn't clear.
I'll reiterate the point; we are [mostly] all MNR builders who know the chassis inside out, so for anyone (and I had no idea you had bought a pre built car) to talk about parts of the chassis we havent seen is bound to arouse questions, especially when its not a new incarnation. We're all intelligent people who have by nature inquisitive minds.

If and it seems you have from the tone of Tims' post, had issues post purchase, than that is unfortunate but I for one had no idea you had, or even that you had bought the orange car.

It's not about giving anyone a hard time or break from it, its more that we are intrigued by what it is you are talking about.

I gather Marc is wrapped up with AS07 just now and I'm sure he'll clear the confussion for anyone who cares, but surely mate you see it from our point of view.
Take it at face value, any MNR builder walking into statements that you made is without exception going to ask questions.

[Edited on 14/1/07 by RichieC]

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Richie,
thankyou for a voice of reason and I guess you are right.
If everyone read my post again I hope they would see that I meant no animosity. I would love to answer everyones queries but I don't know why it was done that way. It seems everyone else has mounted their harness the way I changed mine anyway.
I hope this wraps things up, I know I can't add anything else.

marc n

posted on 15/1/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
hi all back from autosport, a little behind on emails etc, orange car was originally built just to race and had nut plates for seat belt mountings when i showed an example of said item at another sva they said they would only accept a mount like that with an ally floor with steel rivets ( body already fitted ) or with a steel plate across the entire floorpan area to spread the load, as the car ended up being quite heavy i only needed 6kg with 2 litres of fuel to ballast to correct weight so used the plate you are talking about to kill two birds with one stone, from a ballst point of veiw it was an easy safe option of weighting the rear of the car at its lowest point and also not having to worry about it coming adrift inside the cockpit in case of an accident
best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Agriv8

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh i remeber the one know steel plate running the full length of the rear.

nut plates is the answer !!!

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 16/1/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Marc,
as my diet is not going so well I don't think I will have affected weight distribution by removing it!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.