Yes......
compositepro

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by littlefeller
as we are talking alternative chassis, anyone else done anything different

Don't think so on here - at least none that have been finished that I can think of, but Autospeed has some articles on more adventurous techniques if you hunt around.

e.g. An "origami" monocoque construction using grp honeycomb.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110989/article.html

i love it when someone takes a different angle on things

littlefeller

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
i never do things the exepted way great link

[Edited on 29/5/11 by littlefeller]

alistairolsen

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen that article before and always thought it would be a nice way to do a hillclimber. The same issues with load spreading prevail though!

My Build Thread

Volvorsport

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
its pretty much the same stuff as teklam www.teklam.com

teklam is available in 25mm thickness , so could be bonded in between the basic square section frame , a hybrid monocoque .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Neville Jones

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
40 years experience...that must be one long list of companies

No, a long list of build projects. Like civil construction, you finish one project and move on to another. And then you get an offer to work for a consulting co. and life becomes civilised.

Cheers,
Nev.

compositepro

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
civil construction? I was under the impression you had consulted for motorsports or yacht builders?
Neville Jones

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
40 years experience...that must be one long list of companies

No, a long list of build projects. Like civil construction, you finish one project and move on to another. And then you get an offer to work for a consulting co. and life becomes civilised.

Cheers,
Nev.

Can you not comprehend plain english??? LIKE-Similar to but not the same.

LIKE CIVIL CONSTRUCTION!!!!! I have a son who is a civil engineer. They tend to build a bridge or railway or highway, then the job is finished and they have to get another job!! Then when the wanderlust disappears, they get a steady job with a consulting co.

What do you think I do, make carbon fibre bridges and fibreglass roads?? Mind you, there is a lot more composite design and fibres in concrete these days than most would be aware of.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Neville Jones]

compositepro

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have trouble with forums there lots of stuff that gets written that can be taken out of context
littlefeller

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a composite design in mind? what you thinking?
compositepro

posted on 2/6/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i have a lot of ideas for this ,however i mentioned previously that usually the hobby car builders are usually quite inventive and there doesn't seem to be so many chassis using composites this leads me to a few conclusions but i'm pretty sure a monocoque wouldn't be beyond the realms of very possible even at this level of car building.
I was keen to see the responses but like i alluded to earlier from looking at whats around the kit car forums and there seems to be two direct ways of looking at it

without going into the square is better than round debate and thats that steel is simple and relatively easy to work with
but im pretty sure with the right techniques you could improve on whats about at the moment (improvement being one of those very subjective words)

Theres definitely a lack of understanding in materials other than steel and i suppose that brings steel even closer to the fore when it comes to building these things and reinforces the other materials get discarded approach to building these cars...just because you can doesnt mean you have to but sometimes its just nice to experiment with something else

littlefeller

posted on 2/6/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 2/6/11 by littlefeller] not sure where the last post went? i would be intrested to have ago, but i dont know how. been playing around with different chassis designs trying to settle on one direction. now gone back to steel tube but exploring different construction techniques

[Edited on 2/6/11 by littlefeller]

littlefeller

posted on 5/6/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by compositepro
I have trouble with forums there lots of stuff that gets written that can be taken out of context

By littlefeller2010 at 2011-06-05

found this on another page, gona keep it for other forums

[Edited on 5/6/11 by littlefeller]

iank

posted on 5/6/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
FWIW the original is here http://xkcd.com/386/ along with lots of other good ones.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

littlefeller

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
were nearly on page 5 and still no answer, there must be a maths genius on here somewhere who can end this.
anyone else got a cool idea for a chassis

Mike Wood

posted on 5/6/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Some early Marcos cars had wooden chassis bonded into grp bodies - the first Marcos ('gullwing'?) and the series pruduction Marcos GT with a range of engines. Jem Marsh's book on Marcos has some interesting design detail sketches by the designer Frank Costin on attaching suspension and other items to the wooden chassis box members. See: http://home.swipnet.se/~w-90803/wooden.htm Marcos did switch to using steel tube chassis - probably due to cost in labour and materials of wooden chassis.

Worth noting that wooden chassis often include lots of fabricated metal attachment brackets and components, including steel tube subframes for suspension mounting. Time and skill needed to fabricate these.

Clan Crusaders had grp monocoque shells which included marine plywood sections, mainly in forming part of the structural side cills and the rear bulkhead.

A lot of inspiration for wooden car structures can come from aircraft practice. Some small wooden aircraft have wooden fuselage structures akin to steel tube spaceframes (which many light aircraft use, such as the Pitts Special, as do racing cars, as well as stressed skin aluminium monocoques - 'spam cans' such as Cessna 172 and commercial ailrliners e.g. Boeing 737) sides skinned with plywood and the whole structure covered in fabric that is tautened to become part of the structure with the use of a fabric cellulose-based paint ('aircraft dope') Google 'Evans VP1', 'Taylor Monoplane', 'Issacs Spitfire', 'Issacs Fury', 'Williams Flitzer' and 'Volmer Sportsman'. And there are the wooden monocoque aircraft fuselages, such as the Dehavilland Mosquito which was a wooden composite with a balsa wood core skinned either side with plywood. Better not mention the huge and overweight Douglas Spruce Goose!

It should be possible to produce a rear engined open cockpit single or two seater racing car with a wooden central tub - using a mixture of aircraft grade spruce or Douglas fir frame covered in marine plywood to make up box sections/pontoons as well as using larger thickness plywood for bulheads (and gluing on aluminium sheet to make a fireproof engine structural bulkhead). But it would be easier and cheaper to make a steel tube chassis, so you'd only pick wood to be different, if you had the skills/materials, and you could still do some metalwork.

Not sure if there are many people left that have the experience of designing with such materials (spruce and plywood), including making sure that the structure isn't too heavy.

Even in the homebuilt aircraft area, many people are using 'plastic' composites, as well as steel tube, google 'EAA' (Experimental Aircraft Association in USA) and the Light Aircraft Association (UK, formerly the Popular Flying Association) for info.

One last thought on wooden structures - apart from lack of wide knowledge and acceptance, the cost of materials is high, as well as time to build - you'd only want to be using marine plywood (known quality, strength as well as good weather resistance) and aircraft grade spruce or Douglas fir that you could strength grade. There are special high strength glues developed for wooden aircraft that would be ideal, but the temptation these days would be to use epoxy resin. Wood is a great material to laminate grp to, unlike steel or aluminium, so the grp can be used structurally.

One of my great car disappointments was a Scimitar SST that was so heavy - nice galvanised chassis, but heavy grp body - could have had better design of each element and integration of them. It was heavier than the Scimitar SS1 that it was developed from (just like all modern updates of car models!)

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 5/6/11 by Mike Wood]

littlefeller

posted on 5/6/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
what a cool idea. much more intresting than square v round but this thread got hijacked ages ago, and still no silly posts sugesting paper mache any ideas on fiberglass tubes?
compositepro

posted on 5/6/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
A different idea altogether mike.....I was wondering about wood....mother natures very own composite material....

I just read something on titanium exhausts which was a remarkably strange article..but overall if you have money to burn and all the gear But no idea an essential item

A ti locust frame nearly half the weight but ooo oh no half the stiffness....unless you get clever with wall and tube dziameters

the creativity of the EAA....something amazes me every time I see what those guys get up to

indykid

posted on 5/6/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by compositepro
A ti locust frame nearly half the weight but ooo oh no half the stiffness....unless you get clever with wall and tube diameters

I'd love to see it done as a technical exercise, but I'd hate to see the bill for the argon!

Volvorsport

posted on 5/6/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
wood doesnt fatigue either , if it doesnt rot .......

the composite chassis /monocoque suits a mid engined design much better than a seven design .

the trick to to bonding grp or composite onto tube frames is to coat it with polyurethane varnish beforehand .

its how i bonded my kevlar in .

oh , and yes , you could use pultruded tubes but , youl have to do lots of digging on finding the best joining method , and possibly GRP isnt the best material in a tube , carbon would be , since you want stiffness not flexibililty .

[Edited on 5/6/11 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

littlefeller

posted on 5/6/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got any info on wooden chassis?
Volvorsport

posted on 5/6/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-90803/

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.