Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbones safety issue
Hugh Jarce

posted on 27/10/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Micael
So what to do guys? Should i throw my wishbones away and buy/make new once?

Yes, I would definitely throw those wishbones away. They're painted black for a start!
I do like your shocks though.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

locoboy

posted on 27/10/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by David Jenkins

quote:

I was comparing him with some regular posters (who I will not name) who obviously find it hard to put words together, and sometimes unintentionally say things they shouldn't. Invariably those people correct their errors one they are pointed out.
DJ

Sorry DJ couldn't resist!

[Edited on 27/10/04 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

Hugh Jarce

posted on 27/10/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
I disagree with you about Syd's literacy though.

I was comparing him with some regular posters (who I will not name) who obviously find it hard to put words together, and sometimes unintentionally say things they shouldn't. Invariably those people correct their errors one they are pointed out.

SYd's words are thought out, and clearly convey his meaning, however inflamatory or malicious.

DJ

David, I know exactly what you mean. Syd's not as slow as he may walk. I believe he means everything he says, even if he doesn't know what it means.
I was taking you quite litterally before.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

Micael

posted on 27/10/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
quote:

Yes, I would definitely throw those wishbones away. They're painted black for a start!

If I paint them pink or puple, do I still need to throw them away?

I like my shocks to, thats why I bought them, they where quite expensive.
But my Locost deserves the best shocks around.

[Edited on 27/10/04 by Micael]

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

David Jenkins

posted on 27/10/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll

Just making sure that everyone was paying attention!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 27/10/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dom (Type R1)

I for one DID pay attention to what you said in your "accident report". For example, I haven't removed the centre pad from my steering wheel, nor have I removed the padding from my steering column brace. My dashboard radius padding is quite thick, and I made it tidily so that it can stay in place.

I do listen occasionally, especially when it's important...

David

locoboy

posted on 27/10/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll

Just making sure that everyone was paying attention!

David

Gold star for me then sitting at the back of the class

ATB
Locoboy

JoelP

posted on 27/10/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

as said, those bones, IMHO, should be replaced. They have a blatent stress raiser, or focus point. They wont fail immediately, i have used bones MUCH worse than those in fact, i might post a piccy soon. but, no point being slack.

i think the spring rate may be too high also.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeRJ

posted on 28/10/04 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh JarceYes, I would definitely throw those wishbones away. They're painted black for a start!

That's the new lolocost shock design

mad-butcher

posted on 28/10/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
think i'll buy a volvo fl10 that way i'll be nice and safe. it's a 38ton tractor unit by the way. could get killed riding me bike lifes to short to worry about what if's
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Micael

posted on 28/10/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
No, they are not Lolocost, I bought them from Caterham.. I think I did a real good deal with these.

Actually, I have real shocks and real springs

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

zenarcher

posted on 28/10/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
A very entertaining thread,I particularly liked the bit about the guy checking his wishbones every 100 miles, with a straight edge, superb....
DEAN C.

posted on 29/10/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Syd, after reading the previous posts (I've just come back from my holidays)I'm amazed at your Brass neck.
Bringing problems up into the light of day is one thing,laying the law down as you seem to do is downright annoying and bloody annoying to all on the forum.
You're silly little quips have obviosly rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way,and no I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD!so what does that make me?
Yes I am a friend of Martins before anyone says anything,and I have seen the photo of the car,and since when did a wishbone bending ever cause a SHOCKER STRUT ROD to snap in normal road use without an impact! In my opinion NEVER!
YES SYD I'm an engineer as well! Yes syd I have been involved in accident investigations in the motor industry,next question please?
Also seeing as Snoopy works for MK sportscars why should he have seen the letter and photo sent to Martin Keenan,who now runs MK Engineering which is now a seperate business,you seem to know all the answers but you dont know all the facts!First rule of discussion (argument) that I was taught was to gain ALL the facts before engaging in any discussions and never inflame the situation with unfounded arguments!
These of course are my own feelings as a customer of MK,and a builder of a one of their products,and in all probability will buy another as a big believer in their product and quality.
Also I completely agree with both ROB LANES comments and JON ISONS about wishbones giving under IMPACT,if they dont the IMPACT is imparted into the chassis and indirectly to the driver,modern production cars are designed to crumple in zones just for this same purpose SYD!

Yours rubbed up the wrong way,DEAN C.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Rorty

posted on 29/10/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
Syd, after reading the previous posts (I've just come back from my holidays)I'm amazed at your Brass neck.
Bringing problems up into the light of day is one thing,laying the law down as you seem to do is downright annoying and bloody annoying to all on the forum.
You're silly little quips have obviosly rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way,and no I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD!so what does that make me?
Yes I am a friend of Martins before anyone says anything,and I have seen the photo of the car,and since when did a wishbone bending ever cause a SHOCKER STRUT ROD to snap in normal road use without an impact! In my opinion NEVER!
YES SYD I'm an engineer as well! Yes syd I have been involved in accident investigations in the motor industry,next question please?
Also seeing as Snoopy works for MK sportscars why should he have seen the letter and photo sent to Martin Keenan,who now runs MK Engineering which is now a seperate business,you seem to know all the answers but you dont know all the facts!First rule of discussion (argument) that I was taught was to gain ALL the facts before engaging in any discussions and never inflame the situation with unfounded arguments!
These of course are my own feelings as a customer of MK,and a builder of a one of their products,and in all probability will buy another as a big believer in their product and quality.
Also I completely agree with both ROB LANES comments and JON ISONS about wishbones giving under IMPACT,if they dont the IMPACT is imparted into the chassis and indirectly to the driver,modern production cars are designed to crumple in zones just for this same purpose SYD!

Yours rubbed up the wrong way,DEAN C.

Dean, Welcome back. As you are obviously emminently more qualified to comment on this matter than Syd, could you (if you feel like it and time permitting) thoroughly research the wishbone incident and furnish us all with a truthful version of the events and damage that lead to this whole debacle?
I think it would lay a lot of doubt and ill feeling to rest.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 29/10/04 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think this post may make me unpopular in the forum, but I feel I have to add my piece.

Syd and Rorty have had their disagreements in the past. I did agree with Rorty on the bush discussion, but Syd is involved in this side of the automotive industry in some way, I think in one of the LeMans teams. I think his energy in this series of threads is related to the backlash he may get if one of the 7 manufacturers does have a fatality due to design or fabrication of a component, and the subsequent regulation that may result.

His post have the feel of a worried man, rather than an arrogant one. More of a 'for f****s sake get your act together' than a shit stirring for no reason one. Or am I reading this all wrong? I suspect he is in the higher levels of the industry, if the locals do not regulate themselves, regulations will be imposed. this will be no good for any of us. I think this would also harm Syd - hence the not 'suffering fools gladly' attitude.

I think the same way I treat the local one man band 'bodyshops' that dispose of their waste thinner in the drains - we will all get tarred with the same brush, and if the local authority get a shitty on, it will have repercussions for us.

I am not saying ANY of the 7 manufacturers are not responsible or are making any product or component that is less than suitable for its purpose, but I think we really need to know where Syd is coming from to understand what is going on here to understand his approach.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

posted on 30/10/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty,
why is Dean more qualified to comment on this matter than Syd?

I dont have the impression that you know either of them personnaly.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/10/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I think we really need to know where Syd is coming from to understand what is going on here to understand his approach.

and thats the key isnt it.

is it shyte stirring, or genuine concern............

atb

steve

DEAN C.

posted on 30/10/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,I must agree with Syd in one thing he mentioned and only people like Status can really test and investigate problems like this,indeed I think this is where this will end up.
Now Syd has gracefully retired things can hopefully get back to a normal discussion group,although I'm pretty sure he is keeping quiet for external reasons.
All the best to everyone,
DEAN C.

Dick Axtell

posted on 30/10/04 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[Edited on 27/10/04 by Micael]

Micael,
Check out this thread :-
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=18806

Still trying to obtain more definite details.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Rorty

posted on 30/10/04 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Rorty,
why is Dean more qualified to comment on this matter than Syd?

Quite simply because:

1. He's seen the photos of the car and wishbone.
  2. He's close to the source.
  3. He's investigated accidents before.
  4. I believe most people would have a far higher regard for Dean's integrety and honesty than Syd's.

From the very start of this thread, Syd's agenda was to blow his own trumpet like a petulant school child, taunting "see what I've seen, I know about this before you lot did", and thinly disguised it with a very ambiguous film of concern for our well-being and the health of the industry.

If Syd is as well connected, as highly thought of and as remotely intelligent as Mark Allanson (who I do have respect for) would have us believe, then why oh why has Syd never come clean and substantiated his credientials and named his source or even pointed us towards photos. Simply saying the information was privvy pending legal action is absolute hogwash. Letting us see the photos would not have predujiced any action in any way.
Syd is only here for Syd. He continually name drops, puffs his chest and dismisses others, attempts to decimate decent and honest businesses in the most heinous, conflagatory and inflamatory fashion that he can.
I still say good riddance.

If he is knowledgeable and has anything genuine to offer this forum, then I think it's really sad that he hasn't accumulated the skills to express himself in a moderate and decent manner. I just don't believe that a man could exist at a reasonably high level in the automotive engineering industry with Syd's attidude and level of intellect. I just can't believe anything the man has to say.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

posted on 31/10/04 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
It seems Rorty that it all turns down to "what to believe" based on....what others tell you.
There is no way for example that you will be able to tell if the pictures of my car in the photo archive are actually my car and that it is me in that car.
I dont know Dean(other than from this forum) and i dont know Syd.
I will or will not believe that Dean is an engineer and has vast experience.I have to base this on things that i read in this forum rather than "in flesh" experience.
I totally agree that Syd has a very rude way of putting things on this forum and regularly seems to offend people but this has nothing to do with his knowledge.
As far as i am able to tell, both Dean and Syd are very knowledgable people who have a different way of expression.

DEAN C.

posted on 31/10/04 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi ,I still think this could only be done by a truly independant body with structural test facilities,that being STATUS.
I have also mentioned that I am a friend of Martin Keenan and therefore would appear to be biased.
People such as Darren (Doz) and Martin are far more experianced than myself in fabrication and suspension knowledge.
I merely stood up for what I thought was right for us all,especially as I personally think that after looking at the photos that the damage was caused due to impact or during the accident,my own opinion of course!
My experiance has mainly been with light and heavy commercials trying to work out whether operator,component or pre impact,usually by visual means,occasionally by sending items for strucural analysis. All this of course is whilst running large maintenance contracts to decide who is paying.
I have also rebuilt hell of a lot of write offs and sold them ,and broke them as well,this still doesn't give me the right creds though.My paper knowledge only goes to HND level, and 24 years in various engineering jobs,strangely enough I'm changing jobs next week again to look after a commercial contract at workshop manager/foreman level.
DEAN..........

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.