Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R carbs on zetec, fuel supply problem... Help!
Mk1_Mark

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R carbs on zetec, fuel supply problem... Help!

I'm building a mk1 fiesta with a 2.0 zetec in it on zx9r carbs, got the carbs all fitted up this week and using the pump off the same bike, thought i'd just connect up the pump today to prime the carbs and check for leaks and i had fuel spewing out the pipe at the top of the carbs (which i thought was a breather pipe).

The picture below shows the carbs i am using, i have connected the fuel pipe from the pump to the black connection you can see at the bottom in the middle of the two center carbs and haven't connected any of the others.

Can someone shed some light of what i'm doing wrong as i'm confused, also what are the other pipes on the carbs for?

Thanks, Mark

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. The two outer rubber pipes are he fuel lines, they generally have a tee on them.
If fuel still pees out when you've done this then you probably have a blocked float chamber jet.
If you get stuck any more let me know as I've had these carbs in pieces more times than I'd have liked and mithered loads on here about them.

Mk1_Mark

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, i was sure it was the one in the middle, i think what made me think that was the fuel pump came with a pipe still connected to it which looked like it connected to that middle connection.

So i need to get a t piece to split the fuel supply line to those two pipes, it still seems a little strange though as there 2 different size pipes.

What have i connected the fuel supply to now then?

Thanks for any help

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Carb coolant pipe I think. I'd have to nip to the garage and double check but pretty sure that's it.

coozer

posted on 16/11/08 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Top one Breather.. dont block it, just let it breath out on the air or connect it to the airbox

hic...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jacko

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The top one is breather
the fuel one is the one you are using the two unsure is water
the carbs are the same as mine
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 16/11/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
im doing the same setup on a mk3.5 fiesta, but just re-spaced the carbs. As said above the top one is a breather for the float bowl and can be left open, larger centre one is fuel inlet from pump, the other with the Tee's are coolant heater connections and can just be removed.
if you have fuel comming out of the top vent, are the floats within the carbe seating and cutting of the fuel, if a float valve is stuck open could possible be over filling the float bowl and coming out of the vent.

Mk1_Mark

posted on 16/11/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replys guys, a little conflicting but i think it sounds like i could have it piped up correctly but i have a sticky float and the fuel is coming out of the breather for the float bowls rather than being shut off?

I'll have a look at them tomorrow and see if i can work out what is going on. Hopefully nothing too serious, the carbs are off a 2001 bike so not had that much use.

Mk1_Mark

posted on 25/11/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Must have been a sticky float as gave them a shake and spot on now

Thanks guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.