Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling system question
vorn

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Cooling system question

Hello people

I have finished plumbing my radiator and have just got a merc header tank, I plan to feed the header tank through one of the heater hose inlet/outlet fittings and run a hose from the Polo radiator small outlet back to the header tank.
The question is will it matter if the feed into the motor is not at the highest ponit??
my problem is one of the heater hoses goes into the thermostat and the other goes into the block .
If I use the one in the block the header tank will be higher but it wont be if I use the fitting in the thermostat.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Vorn

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Fill using through the lowest heating hose while having the highest disconnected to let the air out (both disconnected at the heater matrix). Use boiling water added to the antifreeze or as I do heat the antifreeze up too as that will make the coolant thinner and it will also open the thermostat to aid bleeding the air. Wear some gloves and squeeze the hoses to force the air out, then replace the hoses and start the engine. Fill the header tank half way while still squeezing the hoses and once no more bubbles come out put the cap on and idle till the engine is at normal temp (not long at all since the coolant was hot away…) then switch off and let it all cool down. Check the tank level is still correct. Job done

[Edited on 18/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vorn

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mr Whippy.
Ill put a tap on the fitting in the thermostat housing to make it easy.
and feed the header tank to the lower heater hose fitting

Vorn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.