Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 5vy sparking woes
rotax78

posted on 19/11/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
r1 5vy sparking woes

I took my car to Elvington, it was the cars first time out so I thought i'd take it steady for a few laps (yeah right), this resulted in two spins in about a 1 1/2 laps, after the second spin the car stalled and would not restart. Back in the carpark, error codes for two faulty coils were showing, When i checked by removing the plugs and cranking the engine, plugs 2 and 4 were not sparking, I switched the coils about (to eliminate faulty coils) but it was still 2 and 4 that were not sparking. I was that p***ed off that I put the car away until I could be bothered again. That was about 5 months ago (work, weddings, holidays etc) but and now i'm giddy for it again. I've checked the continuity of the wires from the ecu connector to each coil (all okay) and tonight i've done the diagnostic thingy using the r1 clocks, where you can generate 5 sparks on each plug in turn. I now have sparks on 1,3 and 4 but none on cyinder number 2. Has anyone got any ideas as to why the problem happened (is it related to the spins?) or even ,any ideas of where to look next? TIA

Edited to add that I had a Pingle shifter fitted, with interupt on the coils, this is now disconnected.

[Edited on 19/11/08 by rotax78]

adithorp

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Not really got any ideas as to why that would happen but if you want to borrow a coil or any thing from mine to try, then let me know.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

road warrior

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with number 3 cylinder over-fueling on a 5VY. I checked everything and it ended up being a faulty ECU. I am guessing my ECU got damaged in the bike wreck and took a little while to show up.

If you sniff the ECU pins and they smell burnt it might be your problem.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rotax78

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer Adrian, it would be good if i could try my ecu on your car or yours on mine which ever is less hassle for you, you gave me your work number a while ago by u2u, i'll give you a call tommorow if thats okay.
Thanks Simon

adithorp

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Either is ok with me. If the forcast for Sat' is right I was planning to have a run out in the Fury. I could call in it. Alternativly you could call at work with your ECU tommorow or Mon'.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rotax78

posted on 22/11/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Problem sorted, turned out to be a faulty ecu. Thanks to Adrian fot letting me try his ecu on my car.
road warrior

posted on 24/11/08 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you got yours fixed but just to update, my issue returned again this weekend. Overfuelling number 3 again..

I changed the loom and disconnected the digi indicator and the car ran fine. I am not sure exactly which bit fixed it yet so will try reconnecting the digi indicator another time to see if it returns.

On the R1 number one cylinder is the one closest to the sprocket side. Just want to make sure we don't have an issue with the same cylinder as the R1 takes all of it's timing from number 3.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.