Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any thoughts on the proposed new speeding points system?
oldtimer

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Any thoughts on the proposed new speeding points system?

Minister for transport outlined new proposals today.

Main points being:

3 points considered very harsh for being slightly over the limit - proposed 2 points.

Seriously over the speed limit gets you 6 points, meaning 1 more serious speeding fine within 3 years and you are automatically banned.

Discuss...

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
whats 'Seriously over the speed limit' then? 30mph?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
whats 'Seriously over the speed limit' then? 30mph?

Indeed.... I suspect 31Mph will be slightly... and 35MPH will be SERIOUS.... Have you not heard... they want your money!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
driving is no fun anymore in this country, I'm still all for blowing up parliament think my next project might be a cruse missile

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
20 MPH according to the BBC
TOO BADD

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I guess there will be more people sharing the points if this is the case !
Rek

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
wait till someone privatises the speed camera's too... then there will be one every 50 yards on every road in the country
iank

Which is stupid. 90mph on the motorway isn't nearly as bad as 50mph in a 30mph zone outside a school.

Should be a percentage.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

oldtimer

20 mph over on the motorway (30% over the limit) has got to be 'less dangerous' than 20 mph over in a residential 20 mph zone (100% over) so who knows what they will do.
Benzine

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm still all for blowing up parliament think my next project might be a cruse missile

Cool can I help? Think we could do it for £250?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

britishtrident

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is as with all recent changes in the enforment of speed restrictions it puts the emphasis on raw numbers not the driving situation and conditions and thus passes the wrong message on to less experienced and new drivers. While high speed accidents are invariably high energry impacts and therefore serious the relationship between speed and risk is not direct.

For example today I watched a woman in a Merc 4x4 cut through a busy and cramped supermarket petrol station forecourt to soley do a U turn she incredibly she must have been doing about 35 to 40 mph. The fact is people don't adjust thier driving style to road and traffic onditions which is why we alsways get a spike in accidents in bad weather.

What is really needed is driver education to break the video game driving style syndrome in some driver and to educate the anti-speeding lobby that while speeding is often symptom of a drivers lack of judgment the primary problem is the unsafe mindset not the raw numbers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
I'm still all for blowing up parliament think my next project might be a cruse missile

Cool can I help? Think we could do it for £250?

So long as we lunch it from your garage, while I destroy all the damning evidence I had anything to do with it , honestly I won’t do anything like write ‘Benzine woz ere!’ on the side of it

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I hate speed cameras. They are a classic case of trying to solve a problem by tackling an easy to target symptom, rather than a difficult to resolve problem.

Crap drivers are a danger, speed in itsef is not the bad thing people make out.

We need more coppers on the road, with their old style commen sense approach rather than rewarming a bad system.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
i very rarely go over the speed limit, i just dont feel the need to most the time.

BUT, i know of too many people who have been done for 47 in a 40 when they were on holiday somewhere and genuinely thought the limit was 50. its all to easy to do.

agree that more police presence on roads would be better, its obvious when someone is driving dangerously, whether that includes speeding or not.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuiceagree that more police presence on roads would be better, its obvious when someone is driving dangerously, whether that includes speeding or not.

yeah most of the dangerous driving I've seen was within the speed limits

David Jenkins

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
agree that more police presence on roads would be better, its obvious when someone is driving dangerously, whether that includes speeding or not.

Agreed - and police have the option to give people a telling-off for being over the speed limit, then send them on their way without a ticket... as happened to me a month or so ago.

It was "a fair cop, guv'nor" and if it had been a speed camera then I'd probably have a ticket. Now I drive with a bit more care along that road, so the officer's choice was a good one as far as public safety is concerned.

As for the new points system - it's only what happens in most other countries in Europe. Minor speeding, a point or two and a small fine. Major speeding, many points, huge fine, possible loss of licence.

[Edited on 20/11/08 by David Jenkins]

NS Dev

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

What is really needed is driver education to break the video game driving style syndrome in some driver and to educate the anti-speeding lobby that while speeding is often symptom of a drivers lack of judgment the primary problem is the unsafe mindset not the raw numbers.

My thoughts exactly!

At the moment we are just an easy tax revenue when others are drying up.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

My thoughts exactly!

At the moment we are just an easy tax revenue when others are drying up.

yep; with oil now being $ 50 per barrel compared to $ 150 in july, the gov' need to find ways of raising money.

speeding fines do that as well as inscrease in revenue when it comes to insuring.

think we should refuse to pay, go to prison which will drain govment resources even more.

whitestu

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I heard some nob on the radio who was keen to point out that speeding is a criminal offence you know!

More crims on the M25 today than in Wormwood Scrubs today then, cos not many people do 70 or less!

Stu

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/11/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Most dangerous place to be is near a lorry (doing similar speed) or when overtaking another vehicle. Best to get passed quick and get out the way!

My boss sticks to 70 religiously (more like 67) and has been nearly hit a few times by lorries.

I'd say 75-80 is a nice safe speed, 85's a bit much and 65's just bloody dangerous due to everyone else overtaking.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

eddbaz

posted on 20/11/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't power it with one of your boat anchors it will never take off the ground

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.