Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bought a new toy
thomas4age

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
bought a new toy

Hey all,

it's been a while since I was on here, but I wanted to share something with you guys, mainly because I'm a novice in tig welding and need some help hihi.

anyway, some time ago I bought a second hand cebora pocket mig, for which I made a nice dolly to run it around, I got some nice compliments for the 6 wheel offroad cart, after which I promissed to pimp the cart one day,
well, I kinda did, or better build a new one completly out of aluminium, because I now can, (well sort off anyway)

last week I bought the first Gys digital 207 Ac/DC tig welder in the netherlands because I got a good price since it was their demo, they hadn't even taken it out of the box yet because I rang the shop the same day it got delivered, it was a bit of a guess but I think it's a good machine.
after doing some research on people stating that also this make is produced in china, I found out that Gys only has the battery chargers and things alike produced there, but the welding equipment still is manufactured in europe (germany and france).

so laying pratice beads on sheet alloy for a week got me conviced enough to make a new dolly for both the machines out of 15mm square tube aluminium, but D*mn is this difficult to do, the edges are the worst bit, which I think is all in positioning of the tungsten, which on my part still needs a lot of praticing. some welds look absolutly horrible, some look very nice I didn't change anything to the machine..... how come????
however 2 machines and a 10kg bottle of argon on the trolly and it didn't collapse yet.....

piccie time.

old cebora pocket Mig 6 wheeler
mig rig 6 wheeler
mig rig 6 wheeler

New ally wheels
aluminium welder wheels
aluminium welder wheels

and fully equiped
mig tig rig
mig tig rig

now do some more praticing and start on the intercoolers for the lexus engine...

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 20/11/08 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

nick205

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Very posh

Could do with powder coating and some carbon detailing perhaps

[Edited on 20/11/08 by nick205]

dubstar_04

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've been meaning to build a simple version of something similar for a while.

Anyway I thought you said you were going to pimp it?

You should polish it and put some tinted perspex in the side panels, real bling!!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium is a fantastic conductor so i would have thought any difference to heat dissipation would be large compared to steel, therefore the welder might need tweaking to suit different joins.

ive never used a tig, so that might be complete rubbish, but it makes sence to me

wil

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
Aluminium is a fantastic conductor so i would have thought any difference to heat dissipation would be large compared to steel, therefore the welder might need tweaking to suit different joins.

ive never used a tig, so that might be complete rubbish, but it makes sence to me

wil

I tried TIG too, what a nightmare, didn't do nice welds at all

too slow for me also

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
It amazes me how many people claim that TIG is easy......I think it either comes naturally, or it doesn't. I've migged for about 25 years and do find it that very easy...but TIG, definitely waaay more difficult.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thomas4age

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ok ok, not pimped properly I gues,

the powdercoating option is indeed a nice idea, might have it thrown into the oven together with a few different parts.....

and no Tig aint easy at all, that's one thing i found out. but I think with a lot of practice I might be able to have each weld come out the same.

there's loads of alloy work comming up so, I'll just try and try again, till everything looks good. One thing is very nice btw, if you screw up a weld, you can repair it quite easily by running the torch over it to smooth it out, then file the high spots, and run a nice bead over it.
as long as the parts are connected to eachother i'm ok, but joining 2 parts is very difficult, I can get a decent weld in the middle of the seam, but on the edges it's rubbish....

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

maartenromijn

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have tigged stainless steel, was do-able. Never tigged aluminium, they say it is difficult indeed.

Maarten

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

skodaman

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not much triangulation on that. Don't go round corners too fast.

Skodaman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.