Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mind blowing ....... Ford GM ON THE EDGE
woodster

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
mind blowing ....... Ford GM ON THE EDGE

still can't believe one of these could go under ...... head shaking

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/united_states/article5202051.ece

coozer

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Been on the cards for a bit now, they both skinter that a Manhatten bank!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

woodster

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
if GM go under 3million people lose there jobs
Alan B

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I read that it boils down to..."why should my people I represent in (insert southern state) working at Hyundai/Honda/Toyota/BMW etc. pay more taxes so that the big three can keep paying assembly line workers the equivalent of $81/hour?"
Basically the big three need major re-structuring and many observers say bankrupcy is the best solution.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
The last 5 new cars bought by my family out here have been....Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Ford, Toyota......all bought based on the "best vehicle for the requirement at the time" basis.....says a lot I think..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Both may "go-under" in their current incarnation, but undoubtedly both would also be phoenixed into something that continues to make cars.

Might be broken up and sold to other car makers (Porsche seem good at buying large automotive companies right now!).

Might be re-invested by the US government/public (not sure their wallet would take any more though).

Might be slimmed right down to focus on the brands and models that can cut-it (that'll be the end of most of the US models then )

Whilst their cashflow might be going the wrong way right now, both must also have sizeable assets in real estate and other areas - Intellectual Property for e.g.

It will be intersting to follow though that's for sure

nick205

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
I read that it boils down to..."why should my people I represent in (insert southern state) working at Hyundai/Honda/Toyota/BMW etc. pay more taxes so that the big three can keep paying assembly line workers the equivalent of $81/hour?"
Basically the big three need major re-structuring and many observers say bankrupcy is the best solution.

Good point Alan

nick205

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The last 5 new cars bought by my family out here have been....Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Ford, Toyota......all bought based on the "best vehicle for the requirement at the time" basis.....says a lot I think..

..and another

coozer

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
The big 3 in the good 'ol US of A pay out far too much welfare to past and present employees and their family's.

Bankrupsy would be the ideal situation to get these off their backs and back into an hourly paid situation.

And I'll be sticking with my good old trusty Rover

[Edited on 21/11/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Rosco

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
No surprises they're in trouble. I go the the US a lot and it's a big relief, though rare, when I get a Euro box or Jap car at the hire car desk. American cars are just crap; state of the art compared to 20 years ago, possibly, but no good now. Terrible handling, terrble ride, ugly, and when was 15 - 20 mpg acceptable (even on US fuel)?
They've gone the same way as the UK-owned car industry did 20-30yr ago, failing to set or keep pace with the market. Complete management failure; and if you can't get your home market right you don't stand a chance elsewhere - terrible shame for all those who's livelihoods depend in it though, as it was in the UK, and maybe again.

I guess without the credit-crunch they may have had time to address these failings but their only chance now is the US Government.

No idea what this will mean for their factories elsewhere in the world - I feel for thoose guys. And even more consolidation in the supply base can't be a good thing long term.

02GF74

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
we've seen it before, BSA. At one time one in 3 or some other small numer of bikes in the world was a BSA - where are they now?

What about Rover?

GM cars are crap. They pay too much for ex-employees pensions. They are going down.

Hammerhead

posted on 21/11/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Forgetting sentimentality and familiarity of the brands for a moment.

These are commercial companies whilst they employ a lot of people they have become bloated and not lean in terms of management and manufacturing.
The Japanese are doing well in the USA because they sorted their sh!t out years ago and although Toyotas profits have dropped 69% in the US they are still making profit.

The management at ford and GM have made some management howlers over the years. While admirable to give employees good pensions and benefits it should have been predicted that it would bankrupt the companies.
They should have stopped the pension schemes to new employees many years ago.
My wife works for a company with 200 emplyees and £40m turnover. They pay generously and give profit related bonuses to all in the company, but they predicted hard times ahead and have had to stop offering new employees the company pension scheme.

I just think that we are in a period of consolidation over a wide area of industries. There will be fewer car makers, banks, clothes shops etc etc choice may become more limited but the companies that survive will prbably cover most product areas in their field.
Jobs will be lost and companies will become lean and efficient or die.

Just my 2p

(sermon over )

mad-butcher

posted on 21/11/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
saw a clip on telly were the 3 ceo's were in front of a congressional commitee, and were asked by a senator to raise their hands if they would forgo there private jets in favour of std airline $15000 as opposed to $138 none of them raised there hands, the senators face said it all.
speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
it is a shame but all car companies are in the same boat. Even Toyota announced HUGE losses last month.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 21/11/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
it is a shame but all car companies are in the same boat.

Yes but Ford are better placed as they can anchor their boat.

mad-butcher

posted on 21/11/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Honda swindon to close for 50 days
Volvorsport

posted on 21/11/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
3 million jobs lost - many more in china where the US have been buying for decades .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

smart51

posted on 21/11/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it funny how America totally believed in capitalism right up to the time where times get tough, then the abandon it and give big state loans, or nationalise companies. If it were only other countries were having a bad time, they'd be screaming "protectionism" and looking wounded.
chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 21/11/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
GM and Ford are getting close to the edge but not as close as Chrysler. Their cash will run out in 6 weeks. Yes 6.

Any yet when the big three went cap in hand to the US government each CEO turned up in their own private jets at a cost of $20,000 per return trip. Not big and not clever.

Personally I hope they get bailed out else the whole industry will go into meltdown as GM/Ford/Chrysler will take all the major global suppliers with them.

Chris (worried car company employee)

smart51

posted on 21/11/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Until last year I worked for TRW, a car component supplier. TRW's turnover for the year was 6 billion US dollars, less than Ford's LOSSES for the year. Shocking.

It's a bit negative to say it but if a big automotive company goes bust in a shrinking market, the others will be safer as the bust companies market share will be spread out amongst the others. Parts suppliers and support services will still suffer of course but still its a bit like musical chairs, so long as you're the one who gets a chair.

TOO BADD

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just supposing they did get bailed out...... Where would they keep stacking the cars they keep making that nobody is buying ?

Just think, buying a new car in 2010/2011 when MAYBE this crap is over with you are probably buying a 2/3 year old car !!

BenB

posted on 21/11/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
saw a clip on telly were the 3 ceo's were in front of a congressional commitee, and were asked by a senator to raise their hands if they would forgo there private jets in favour of std airline $15000 as opposed to $138 none of them raised there hands, the senators face said it all.

Oh I liked that. Too much

Classic senator hijack tactics!! The CEOs looked like they'd just had their haemorrhoids ripped off

David Jenkins

posted on 21/11/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
They've been over-producing for years - cars last longer, people keep them longer before buying a new model, particularly in the current economic climate. They keep adding gimmicks to tempt people to buy new cars but few people are biting.

I have an 8-year-old Yaris. It's got a 1300cc engine, done 65,000 miles, hasn't a speck of rust and the engine's pulling like a good'un. Why should I replace it? It still does what I want (mostly home to station & back each day).

My son has a much newer turbo diesel Ford Focus - it's cost him a fortune in repairs. What advantage is it to me to change from my car with it's known history?

chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 22/11/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if the US government let Chrysler go as it is owned by a known aggressice venture capital company who were loud and proud about how good they were going to be at running a car company when they bought it from Daimler. Also Chryslers capacity is equal to the over capacity is the US car industry - a handy way to solve the capacity problem as long as they handle the fall out with the suppliers going under
etc.

Chris

stevebubs

posted on 22/11/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

40% of them are Fords....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.