Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Atlas Axle help
Sideshow_Bob

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Atlas Axle help

I bought an Atlas axle a while ago, and bought some axle brackets for it. However, the axle brackets didn't fit. The hole cutout in the centre was too large. I have measured the diameter of the axle and it is 58.4mm (2.3" I understand that Atlas axles are 70mm (2.75". If that is the case ...what axle have i got? Does the baby Atlas have a smaller diameter axle?
blakep82

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
my atlas is 70mm, but i did retube it with bigger heavy duty tubes, can't remember what they were originally, but 58mm sounds about right. mine was off a 2 ltr capri, so you quite possibly have got an atlas, just not a retubed one. grp 4 atlas axles are usually 70mm

[Edited on 22/11/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Sideshow_Bob

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks blake,

The reason I'm asking is I want to do a rear brake conversion on the axle, and have seen the weld on brackets on a few sites, but reckon they won't fit given previous experience.

Does anyone know where i might be able to get hold of some drawings for the axle?

big_wasa

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Standard atlas axle is about 58mm.

I bought a pair of book ie english brackets from OBP and they fit just fine.

blakep82

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
ah, now i bought english axle brackets for my retubed atlas because they were 70mm. they are from shortrack on here

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

short track 123

posted on 23/11/08 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hello

Our disk brackets are made to bolt onto the back of the bearing flange some people do weld them as well and some just weld which means you can change the angle if you need to. If you measure the diameter of the flange where it meets the axle tube it should be about 70mm and the axle tube will be 58.4mm as you say. The important part is the off set of the disc and the caliper you are using.

I can make you some one off brackets if you want if they are made from the same material as the ones we make they will be the same cost as the one we sell. Just Email a drawing/or pic and the size of disc you would like to use and i can sort the rest out for you.

Which ever way you go mock it all up 1st before welding ( if you go the welding route )

Hope this is of some help to you

Jason

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Avoneer

posted on 23/11/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Off topic, but can you cut single exhaust outlet flanges in stainless?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 23/11/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
of course, i forgot jasons brackets are made to bolt on

Sideshow_Bob

posted on 23/11/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hey thanks for the replies guys,

Jason, I'm planning on using sierra rear calipers (well actually off a ford scorpio), so it looks like your brackets would do the job. do you also sell the spacers to replace the drum brake back plates.

carpmart

posted on 23/11/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent as I have a rear disc conversion for sale.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

short track 123

posted on 23/11/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pat
Yes I can what sort do you want.

carpmart
Who's the kit made by and how much?

We can now scan drawings/gaskets/templates which means we can do 1 off parts but if we can try and batch things it does make all the parts cheeper.
I don't charge for the drawing work as long as we make the parts.

Regards
Jason

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.