Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: re: expanding foam
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 25/1/04 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
re: expanding foam

Just come across this stuff, having read the previous post regarding expanding foam and water absorbtion. I thought this might be of interest. It is an expanding water resistant glue. Granted it doesn't expand a s much as foam but it is actually very strong and waterproof. There must be some use for this stuff when building a locost.
glue

pinyachta

posted on 25/1/04 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Isocynerate Glue

I've used this stuff in woodworking. It's basically the same stuff as the expanding foam, but doesn't expand as much. The problem for woodworking is that unless things are really clamped down this stuff pushes joints apart. Also, it has a short shelf life, so don't buy more than you can use in a couple months. Pluses are sticks to anything and everything and fills gaps.

Isocynerate foam does absorb moisture when exposed to water. I once was given a Sunfish type boat that had to weigh 200 pounds as the foam filled hull had taken up water. My home has a 115mm shell of the stuff and there's been no moisture problem in 15 years. Though the carpenter ants love it .

Geo. Cushing, Delanson, NY

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 25/1/04 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's truly excellent stuff - for gluing 2 pieces of wood together! Can't see a lot of use on a Locost (unless you have a wooden dash)

rgds,

David

GasGasGas

posted on 25/1/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is a polyurethane based adhesive which foams and cures in the prescence of moisture, it sticks like KahKa to a nappy and will stick a whole range of materials not only wood. Wood, plastic and even metal can be bonded to one another ! good for sticking trims or upholstery down or panels etc.

Two words of caution : dont get it on your self ,it wont come of again unless you douse it in ACETONE, and protect the joint from U.V as it starts to break down when exposed ( paint it or summat )

VERY STICKY STUFF indeed !!!

MustangSix

posted on 28/1/04 at 03:20 AM Reply With Quote
The floor on mine is bonded with a polyurethane based panel adhesive that is unbelievably strong. I tested it on two pieces of scrap glued to some tubing and was not able to pull it apart without destroying the sheet metal in the process.

Some of that with a few riviets have me set and sealed. Also, there's the added benefit of damping some sound. Apparently the glue absorbs the vibration, making the panel sound pretty solid.

suparuss

posted on 28/1/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i was gonna say it could be used for plugging the ends of tubes in the chassis, but if there is a moisture problem then this is a no go i guess.

Russ.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.