Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bending metal/cone shape
Benzine

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bending metal/cone shape

I've just used Cone Layout to make a cone for the collector I'm making. I've traced it onto the metal and cut it but how do you go about bending it?

It's similar to this but longer:

I've cut out out of 2mm steel (plentiful & all I have at the moment), is this too thick to start with? Seems very difficult, any ideas? Rest of the exhaust parts are 1.5mm.

[Edited on 9/12/08 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Would a stainless steel household funnel do the job? just thinking that all, and 2mm does seem a bit ott, more like 1mm as its strength will be achieved when in shape me thinks.

Cheers Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a bit thick to me!

Can you roll/form it around something - I'm thinking along the lines of the way Uncle Ron shows how to form the curves of an ally bonnet in THE BOOK. Large bit of wood (log maybe), clamp one edge and start persuading it around.

Benzine

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it does seem too thick. Humbug! Humbug!

Humbug, Mr Baldrick?

Need to get some thinner metal. I hate buying it, I can get some locally but only in huge sheets or I can get the right quantity online but have to wait a few days

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Humbug

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, what do you want?
Benzine

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote

cryoman1965

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
2mm is thick without the correct tooling.

To form the cone you should draw a fan shape (lines close together) on the template and then gradually put a slight bend in each line. Slowly a conical shape will appear.

Long process.

HTH

Nige

welderman

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
i could do it in 10mm stainless if you want, but not exactly locost or light weight.
If your struggling, could make one up in mildsteel and post it, let me know

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Benzine,

I assume you don't have a brake press, folder or rollers.

Do you have a good vice, piece of thick wall pipe, (steel scaffold tube) and a hammer? Nylon mallet would be good.

Paul G

edit to say: If you U2U me a phone number I'll talk you through the technique.
(I can talk quicker than I can type)

[Edited on 9/12/08 by 907]

Volvorsport

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
you want a 16g cone rolled ?

i think a scaffold and a hammer , you would do it with that and maybe some gentle heat .

what inlet/outlet diameters ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
a set of rollers with a piece of angle jammed in the right hand side with the smaller end of the cone touching this angle and just roll piece of cake

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 9/12/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
2mm is just making life very difficult for yourself. 16 gauge is about as thick as you'd need to be honest, and you can form that by hand by gently bending it in radial lines over a piece of stout pipe held in your vice (e.g. bit of scaffold tube).
Simon

posted on 10/12/08 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
When I did the cones (four of them!!), I cut out the shape (16swg stainless) and made up a tool to go in a vice.

The tool consisted of a length of tube (about an inch in diameter) with a piece of plate welded at both ends with a gap underneath so cone shape could be put under the plate and held in place while it was bent around the tube. Bent them by hand

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 10/12/08 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Just done a quick "Sketchup" - picture speaks a thousand words, and all that

ATB

Simon

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/12/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I made a half-cone out of substantial sheet (for a Hillman Imp rear spring turret) , very neatly, by hammering (nylon/rubber/wood spacer) around a heavy steel tube. Heavy steel tube in this case was a handy lamp-post outside my house..... dink dink...
Benzine

posted on 10/12/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help ^__^ In the end I found some perfect metal - an old ammo crate I had lying around that used to be a PC case. I've cut the cone shapes out and they're much easier to bend

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.