Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tattoo's good or bad idea
focijohn

posted on 15/12/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tattoo's good or bad idea

As per the title... considering getting one but im undecided because its so damn perminant.
But i want one and u only live once so i suppose if i find one that i like then..... I'm sure theres someone on here that has one or two.

Cheers

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

SPYDER

posted on 15/12/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Why not try these for starters then go for the real thing when you've finally made your mind up!
Geoff

mr henderson

posted on 15/12/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Be unusual, be different, go against the trend, don't be one of the crowd, don't get a tatoo

John

clairetoo

posted on 15/12/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Tatoo's are `in` at the moment.............but thing's do go out of fashion - dont do it !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

JoelP

posted on 15/12/08 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
be outrageous, get one in the middle of your face
Simon

posted on 15/12/08 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not for me, especially some of the crap ones I've seen, though some are quite good. I think subtelty is the order of the day if you must, imho of course.

My opinion shouldn't stop you getting one if you really want one though!

Helpful?

ATB

Simon

donut

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
A chap i worked with had Hagar the Horrible on his arm which was kinda cool.

If i were brave/stupid/younger i would have Homer Simpson's head on my arm.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
be outrageous, get one in the middle of your face

LOL Yeah!

Herself has some right cracking ones really huge and totally mad that she got when she was a rebellious teen. I quite like them, though she was terrified of showing me them when we first met I just said 'well that’s unusual...'

I'm saving up for just one

[Edited on 16/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Get something simple, and easily covered by a shirt.

Don't get names, initials or anything you might regret if life changes later on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 16/12/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
It's best to wait till you're really drunk then go and get one on the spur of the moment. Get one of those Chinese characters so they can tell you what it really means when you go to the takeaway.

Some nice examples here

[Edited on 16/12/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cd.thomson

posted on 16/12/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have two Kanji (Jap symbols) one in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades, and one on the side of my left shoulder.

I cant help feeling that people almost take them too seriously, especially people who don't have them and a lot of people of consider it but then bottle it.

Its only as permanent as you are...which isnt very permanent in the scheme of things .

The only thing I would say is that visible tattoos tend to be worn by a particular kind of person, in the same way as a shaved head or soverign (sp?) rings. Its unfortunate but I'd avoid anything visible when wearing a T-shirt to avoid people judging you on what you have on your skin.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/12/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Ex g/f got 3 tattoos on her back. She then got someone decent to sort them out as the first person messed them up.

10 years later she's been through nearly 3 years of very painful laser removal process. Having seen her post laser treatment i tried my best to convince her not to carry on.

She is now permanently scared - but the scaring is far less than the tattoos. She's nervous what will happen when she goes out in the sun as she expects the scaring to react very differently.

NB some of this may be due to the original tattooist not doing a good job.

15 years ago i thought of getting one, waited a year or two to make sure i wasn't doing it on a whim (i guess i was quite grown up for once). Realised that what I wanted two years before was actually totally naff despite thinking at the time it was totally cool. At that point i decided never to get a tattoo.

Bloke in the office got a tattoo when his brother died suddenly (high speed on a bike and a hgv pulling out of a side road tents to be quite sudden). He then paid twice as much to get someone else to sort it out as the colour was bleeding etc etc. Looked ok in the end but i felt for him - his tribute to his brother was bodged.

If you're going to do it, be absolutely sure & go only to the absolute best and pay through the nose for it.

Rod Ends

posted on 16/12/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
World's worst tattoos

martyn_16v

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy

milson

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
i would say if you really want one go for it,but be warned they are addictive .I started with just 1 now i have them on my arms,legs,chest and a full back piece
02GF74

posted on 17/12/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Herself has some right cracking ones really huge and totally mad that she got when she was a rebellious teen. I quite like them, though she was terrified of showing me them when we first met I just said 'well that’s unusual...'

funnily enough, when Tom Jones' wife showed him hers, he said "It's not unusual".

I voted NO!

focijohn

posted on 17/12/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been considering it for about 5 years now but for some of the bits mentioned above ive put it off.
I wasnt going to go too mad just something small that could maybe covered if i went bigger. But however the 2 things that i have thought is that its either got to be literally a peice of art or secondly something that everytime i look at it i cry with laughter, and yes it will be somewhere out of view!

Edit:- and i also dont want something that seems to be common i.e. chinese writing, dragons etc, not a snipe at anyone just a personal preference.

[Edited on 17/12/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/08 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
this is quite similar to what I was wanting, missy 'seems' to be alright with it, still more restrained than hers

cd.thomson

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
have to agree with the chinese writing comment despite having two myself.

I had them so I could write something meaningful on my body without every jackanory knowing what it meant!

*queue jokes that it says "three spring rolls" etc*

Just a quick thought on this thread: The smaller number of people who have tattoos when asked this question will either leave it up to the individual to decide, or be fairly impartial. In contrast, the majority of those without any body art will instantly fly off the handle with all the standard responses and say "you MUST not get one!"

.. I think this question will tend to generate an overall negative response, just via the demographics of the forum members.

andybod

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
i fancied having a tattoo done since i was about 18 finally found a design that i liked and was different when i was about 30 i was in benidorm at the time in a stinking pit of a tattoo studio so made my excuses and managed to blag a copy of the design (told them i was due to fly home) it then took me about another two years too gte it done 3 years later don't regret it at all and booked in to have another one done in january my advise would be make sure your happy with the design ,be different ,and make sure you find a good studio.

some good tattoo's at www.vanashingtattoo.com (N.W.S )
or search for tattoos on flickr

mistergrumpy

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just a quick thought on this thread: The smaller number of people who have tattoos when asked this question will either leave it up to the individual to decide, or be fairly impartial. In contrast, the majority of those without any body art will instantly fly off the handle with all the standard responses and say "you MUST not get one!"

That's very presumptuous. You presume that the majority of people on here do not have a tattoo and through that you presume that they hate the things. What about the people that don't have one but are in the phase of thinking about it? Surely they'd be pro tattoo.
Me personally I'm not bothered, it's your body do what you like. I think they look alright on some people, others they look absolutely dreadful. Take the thin, pale lad with the oversized dagger on his scrawny arm or the fat woman with a nice dolphin on her cankle! The only thing now that jumps out to me about them is their "brand" like qualities making the owner easily identifiable. So if you were ever going to rob a bank, remember that that spiders web tattoo covering your face might give it away

cd.thomson

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

That's very presumptuous. You presume that the majority of people on here do not have a tattoo and through that you presume that they hate the things. What about the people that don't have one but are in the phase of thinking about it? Surely they'd be pro tattoo.
Me personally I'm not bothered, it's your body do what you like. I think they look alright on some people, others they look absolutely dreadful. Take the thin, pale lad with the oversized dagger on his scrawny arm or the fat woman with a nice dolphin on her cankle! The only thing now that jumps out to me about them is their "brand" like qualities making the owner easily identifiable. So if you were ever going to rob a bank, remember that that spiders web tattoo covering your face might give it away

Thats not what I meant to imply at all. I can draw the assumption that the majority of forum members dont have a tattoo as the those with tattoos are generally in the minority across any population.

The question "tattoos, good or bad?" will generally draw two responses, one from those without and one from those with a tattoo. The clear difference, however, is that those with a tattoo would never tell someone to definitely get one, whereas those without can justifiably list "definite" reasons why someone should not to get one.

Those without tattoos and who have no opinion on those with them are very unlikely to bother posting on the topic. Those without tattoos but trying to decide to get one are an even bigger minority.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
yeah but is this not cool or what?!

cd.thomson

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
yeah but is this not cool or what?!

Very very cool, Im after something similar if it get my wings in the RAF as a celebaration.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.