Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Now Sold - Extremely high spec road legal trackday/race ready Locost R1 BEC
ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Now Sold - Extremely high spec road legal trackday/race ready Locost R1 BEC

Now SOLD subject to payment
Extras now for sale seperately

Hi All

Having hardly used my BEC for the last year or so Ive made the very difficult decision to sell it

As some of you will know, this isn’t an average low budget Locost! Originally built in 2001 on age related plate (no Cat required for MOT) with a Fireblade engine, upgraded in 2005 to an injected R1 engine. Built/modified with RGB in mind so could be competitive in Class B with minimal outlay (main things required would be a reverse box, extinguisher and possibly front cage section) or used competitively in hillclimbs/sprints etc, as well as being a reliable and well developed track day/road car.
In its current spec, the car has lapped Cadwell Park full circuit in under 1m40s running (RGB Spec) A048 tyres on a track day, within a second of the RGB class B record! There’s a video of the lap here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=km0pMnaJrPA arguably with time to be gained with a bit more kerb attack/better driving!

The car has been corner weighted; it weighs a genuine 435kgs and handles superbly. I’ve driven several well specced Westfield BECs and an RGB championship winning Fury on track. It felt very similar in handling to the Fury and in my opinion although outright grip is similar, it handles more intuitively with better feedback on the limit than the Westie chassis, so allows you to push to the limit in more circumstances.

The full spec is as follows:

Chassis/steering/brakes

MK Locost live axle race chassis
FIA rollbar - high enough to convert to full cage if required.
Stuart Taylor (now Aries) bodywork in dark blue
Interior aluminium panels powder-coated black
Cut down side panels (front sections will be re-panelled before sale)
Engine bay triangulation/mounts modified by HRP Race Prep to accommodate bike engine
Nitron NTR monotube dampers valved to suit car (£1k for the set!)
Front ARB
2.5 quick rack with aluminium clamps
Quick release Racetech steering wheel on custom made column
Poly-bushed suspension throughout, no rubber bushes.
Strengthened steering rack mounts &front wishbones
Wilwood Dynalite 4 pot front callipers with Pagid RS15 pads
Floor mounted pedal box with Wilwood twin master cylinders, bias bar and remote adjustment on dash.
Braided brake hoses
Braided fuel lines throughout
Standard RS 9” rear drums (disc conversion kit negotiable)

Engine/drivetrain

2003 5PW injected Yamaha R1 engine with around 4k miles – 137bhp@wheels on rolling road with PC3R Power Commander allowing mapping of ignition and fuelling.
Zero miles since engine strip-down/check by AB Performance
Barnett clutch conversion
Fluke/Jonathan Rarity machined sump baffle plate
Custom stainless 4-2-1 manifold built to BSB design by Promotive Exhausts (a work of art)
Virtually new Simpson 30”x 7” repackable silencer (under 98db @ 8k)
19 row Mocal oil cooler with remote filter and braided hoses
Samco coolant hoses and aluminium tubing throughout
3.54 English axle with Quaife ATB LSD
2 piece Bailey Morris propshaft with sliding joint
Light weight bike battery

Other stuff:

3 piece 13” Compomotive ML split rims, under 5kgs apiece
Nearly new 205/60-13” Yoko A048s on rear, 185/60-13” A032s on front (marginal road legal)
ETB Digidash with shift lights, data-logging and track beacon sensor
Caterham R400 Tillet Seats with adjustable runners
Willans 3” 6 point harnesses
Westfield lightweight carbon effect polycarbonate front arches.

Spares / extras (not included in price – early buyer gets first refusal)

3.54 and 3.89 diffs with nosepieces
Spare axle with halfshafts
Rear disc conversion kit (discs, calipers, pads, brackets and handbrake cable)
Spare master cylinders
Set of 4 refurbished Ford RS 13” x 6” alloys with Yoko A509 tyres
2 x spare front outer rims for the Compomotives
R1 clocks (for diagnostics)
Spare R1 ECU, rectifier, crankshaft, water pump, oil pump and airbox.
SD based dual bullet camera setup (recorded the Cadwell footage above)
1 part worn 185/60-13" A032 Yoko
2 x 20L jerry cans
Heavy duty 3” ratchet straps with wheel retaining straps.

The car is currently on SORN, it has been kept in great mechanical condition and is in above average cosmetic condition for its age. In the last week or so (since the pics were taken), Ive power polished the side panels, re-trimmed the transmission tunnel cover and before the sale I’ll make up new flared engine bay side panels and a boot box cover. If you want a gleaming “show” car though that can be buffed within an inch of its life and hasn’t got a mark on it then you may find other cars more suitable, but if your main priority is track performance, I seriously doubt you’ll find another Se7en type car as high spec or as quick on track for less money than this.

Asking price is £5750 - negotiable within reason but bearing in mind the spec, I won’t be dropping it too much otherwise breaking it for parts would be the (regrettable) better option.

Call me on 07793925995 or u2u, located in Hants near Surrey border.

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 18/12/08 by ChrisGamlin]

[Edited on 2/1/09 by ChrisGamlin]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

tjoh84

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
good luck with the sale i just sold mine for 4200 in the end no end of dreamers come to look
ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, not sure what spec yours had but mine won't be selling that low, at least not in it's current spec as the parts are worth more than that!

nib1980

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the sale, I hope it goes well.

If not and you do break, let me know theres a few parts I'd like first dibs on (I know this isn't your first choice!)

goodguydrew

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
That's a really lovely car. I hope you get your price.
Jasper

posted on 18/12/08 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Shame Chris - that's one great car you've got there..... and well worth the £££££

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

phil_far

posted on 18/12/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
It's so sad to hear the news. That car was my inspiration (I still have not finished mine but all that is left is some body work) and injected enough adrenaline to keep me going on my project for the last 3 years.
If you ever decide to come over to Malta (next year) let me know and I hope I will manage to give you half the thrill that you gave me!

Philip

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/12/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, its taken me a while to make the decision and even now its still a "head says sell but heart says keep" situation, but at least the money will be going towards something else RWD and reasonable fun to drive, albeit a daily driver rather than a weekend/trackday toy (a Beemer 123d).

Phil, good to hear that I helped in some way, hope you get it finished and on the road soon!!

cheers
Chris

dean100yz

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjoh84
good luck with the sale i just sold mine for 4200 in the end no end of dreamers come to look

I recognise this one...I was gonna have that off you for £3900..small world

dean100yz

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Goodluck with the sale. If that'd been put up 1 week earlier I'd have grabbed that off ya. I travelled a long way to get mine! Plus its not as trick as yours.

Is that a std silencer fitted? I have a mate who's hooked since driving mine that is kinda looking but he wont buy until after xmas now

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/12/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Doh bad timing then, Ive been holding off advertising it for a few weeks as I had a friend of a friend seemingly intent on buying it, but he's now decided to go in a different direction with a single seater for his hillclimbing hobby instead

The silencer is a custom made jobbie from Simpson Exhausts (here), cost about £250 but is very well made and drops the noise nicely.

If you're friend is interested then tell him to get in touch, I've had some enquiring e-mails already and there's always the chance it will sell straight away but realistically I suspect most potential buyers will be in a similar situation regarding Christmas anyway, the main reason I put it up now was because I thought it might be easier for some to at least view it over the holiday period when they've got a few days off etc.

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 19/12/08 by ChrisGamlin]

Alez

posted on 20/12/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

I have a couple questions with regards to the V5, basically to see if I could register this car in Spain.
-What's the "date of first registration" on it?
-What's the make and model on it?

With regards to the car, what's an "MK Locost chassis"?

Please don't use too much time for answering, as at the moment I'm just considering different possibilities and don't really know what route to take next.

Cheers,

Alex

JamJah

posted on 21/12/08 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
With regards to the car, what's an "MK Locost chassis"?

Fairly sure it will turn out to be a chassis made by Martin Keone (-sp?) (and gang) to the Locost dimensions. Could be wrong though...

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/12/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, its an MK chassis originally built for the 750MC Locost championship, ie "book" dimensions with live axle rather than MK Indy dimensions with IRS.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/12/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just a little post Christmas bump

Have had some encouraging interest which is more than I expected what with Christmas etc, but nothing concrete yet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.