Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: camshaft
Stuart_B

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
camshaft

hi all, i have 1.6 long stroke pinto engine, and i am toying with the idea to get a new perfomance cam, but not sure what ones are good, for road driving, so i do not want to have rev the nuts of the motor all the time. all throughts welcome.

thanks

all merry christmas

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

FatChapChipChop

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Kent Cams are pretty good. If you're not undertaking any port re-shaping the there's 2 I've used .. FR-30 is essentially a towing cam providing a lift in torque at lower revs and is good for low-end punch. or, FR-32 lifts torque across a broader rev range. The 32 does work better with a little port re-shaping though.

Drive fast, don't look back!

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ford used the 2litre cam in the 1600gt engine to up the power along with a banana exhaust, bigger carb and valves, this has a duration of around 265degrees from memory

Fitting something with a duration of 270 will make it rev with power across the range.

Fitting something with duration of 285 would still be perfectly drivable but lumpy and flat off idle, maybe a bit much on a 1600, good on a 2 litre

If you changed the carb to throttle bodies, bike carbs et al this will effectively soften the cam and release more power at the same time.

If changing the cam you really need to tickle the head to make the most of this while its out, even if its just with a dremel smoothing the ports.

Hope that helps.

Regards Mark

jacko

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Kent Fr33, or piper 285 thats what i have fitted
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 22/12/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest you put a 2l in it instead, probably cheaper than a cam kit and more power
cryoman1965

posted on 22/12/08 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said

Nige

Stuart_B

posted on 23/12/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
hi, thanks for the replys, i have bike carbs on it all ready, i do not want to put a 2.0, as i can as of the insurance so i am trying to get a little more out of the 1.6, but fairy cheaply.

thanks for the recomdation for the duration of the cam, and what makes.

thanks again

merry christmas

stuart

jabbahutt

posted on 23/12/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
If a standard 2.0 cam will improve performance on a 2.0 pinto then I bought mine for the refurb of the engine for about £28 brand new from a local motor factors.

Nigel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.