Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off topic skills of LCB members
mr henderson

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Off topic skills of LCB members

Each time anyone asks for help or information about something that really doesn't have anything to do with 7s, it seems that there are people here who know about the subject in question.

I thought it would be interesting to provide an opportunity for people to mention skills that they have, whether or not those skills would be likely to be called upon in the building of our sort of car.

I'll start the ball rolling, and mention that I seem to know quite a lot about-

1) making and repairing of electric guitars,

2) woodworking machinery, and the design and construction of kitchens

So, what about you lot? Any interesting, or maybe even non-interesting skill?

John

DIY Si

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure I can change an electricity meter better than anyone else on here. But only because I think I'm the only one who has that job. Otherwise, most of my skills, such as they are, are car or computer games related.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Benzine

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
1) making and repairing of electric guitars,

I'd love to make an electric guitar. I play a lot (and teach). I've got a book about guitar building but I haven't built any yet. I've got some really nice mahogany lying around so maybe could use that

My skills: guitars, music, computers, photography, cars, growing long hair & beard.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I've got a book about guitar building but I haven't built any yet. I've got some really nice mahogany lying around so maybe could use that

Building a one off can be quite a satisfying thing to do, but in practise so many jigs and special tools are needed to do a really good job that it really isn't practical if the aim of the work is to end up with a good, playable guitar.

Making a one off body and fitting a ready make neck can work well, though.

John

blakep82

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
erm....

DJing (proper beat matching, club style DJing using vinyl, far from just playing one song after anoother at a wedding)

errr...

can't think of a lot else unrelated to the cars

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

londonsean69

posted on 27/12/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Designing the roads, rather than just driving on them.

Spent 5 years as a highway designer, worked on M6 toll, A2/M2, A13, plus some big foreign jobs (£600m+)

Then spent the next 3 years working as a Diving Instructor in Lanzarote

Sean

omega0684

posted on 27/12/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
im a very hard worker thats good at taking orders oh and i like to build stuff, like cars for instance
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 27/12/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of hundred views, and not many replies!

Must be a lot of shy ones out there, I reckon.

John

r1_pete

posted on 27/12/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Most home DIY stuff, electrics plumbing etc....

Restoring vintage juke boxes - havent done one for a few years but I thing the bug might just have bitten again.

Building and repairing Valve Amplifiers - Marshall, Vox, Fender etc...

Built a couple of electric guitars, - well, assembled and finished them from bought in components.

Fred W B

posted on 27/12/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Karting

In live theater...
Stage management
Props and scenery making and moving
Lighting design and operation

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Volvorsport

posted on 27/12/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
As a degree qualified automobile engineer , i feel , to offer impartial advice on anything else would be simply foolish !!

im pretty good with my middle wicket

i like the sound of building a guitar tho .

they have courses at a local school , ive always wanted to enrol on

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/12/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am very good at coaching shot and discus, and have coached a number of junior athletes who have represented Wales and Great Britain.

I am also pretty good at inspecting and repairing large aboveground oil storage tanks, like at oil refineries.

[Edited on 27/12/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Ivan

posted on 27/12/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
General municipal engineering - ex Town Engineer so planning, designing, building and maintaining all Municipal services; Dinghy racing - ex National Champion; abiding interest in anything automotive; excellent husband and all round grump

wrigglypig

posted on 27/12/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Did an engineering aprenticeship milling ,fitting and turning, carpet fitting for a couple of years, done a lot of wood turning and woodwork, carving etc made17 large victorian style rocking horses , made a kit car 17 yrs ago will tackle most things diy, in my "spare" time have been a copper for the last 21 years

gazza285

posted on 27/12/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Another guitar tech here, used to tour as a backline tech, FOH and monitor sound engineer, and tour management. Built a few guitars and valve amps, effects, custom cabs, and used to assemble PA systems for touring and festivals as well. Now work in engineering and construction, mainly large industrial projects, so most areas of steel bashing covered there.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

chrisg

posted on 27/12/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is depressing.

I can string a few words together but other than that I appear to be without talent.

bugger

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mark G

posted on 27/12/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a mechanic by trade so pretty much covers most car related subjects.

In my spare time I enjoy photography and also I'm pretty nifty with photoshop. Comes in handy for when people what colour changes or wheel swaps on their cars.

Some of my work below, Technically they're not great but the diference from how they started is massive.

I try not to do too many cars, I mainly use it for touching in my photo's but 'shopping' cars is good practice.

YQUSTA

posted on 27/12/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Spent the first year after school doing general engineering from metal work to detailed drawings, went on to be a sparks which lasted for about 4 years now I work with fibre optic installs from work in our network sites to customer installs (don't touch the underground stuff).

Other uses: I have an engineers mind and enjoy designing and building anything from my paddle shift to gutting and rebuilding my house, which is still ongoing and as the wife would tell you will be forever ongoing

YQUSTA

mr henderson

posted on 27/12/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

I can string a few words together but other than that I appear to be without talent.

Oh come on, there must be something (other than self effacement)

John

prawnabie

posted on 27/12/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Im an engine fitter for rolls royce (Aerospace) and have done some of the same for grumman in the US.

Other than that I build cars lol

BenB

posted on 27/12/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
... I guess we're all claiming parking the pony as a skill

Well I'm a jack of all trades when it comes to hobbies / non-work related stuff (same as my job actually!!!)....

- Electronics, microprocessors, making gadgets with maximum LED count...
- Crashing radio controlled aeroplanes (current world champion )
- Growing organic vegetables
- Brewing all grain homebrew
- Digital video editing
- Moderately large DIY stuff
- A bit handy in the kitchen
- Building computers and seeing how hard I can work (overclock) them before they pop
- Spotting (+ identifying) various little flying animals (birdwatching- extremely un-cool but hey)...

Now if only I was good at just one rather than moderately poor at all of them!!!
... and then there's my most practised skill:

- inventing reasons not to go into my messy and cold garage and get the hell on with doing my EFi conversion (with my shiny new Innovate LC-1 my bro gave me for Christmas)....

cd.thomson

posted on 27/12/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I like this thread, its very "feel good" and I'm hugely impressed with the range of skills everyone has!

I am a trained commerical tailor (I can measure, pin and recommend cuts and shapes but I can't do any alterations myself!)

I also have a degree in Human genetics (although the less said about this the better )

chrisg

posted on 27/12/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

Oh come on, there must be something (other than self effacement)

John

Of course John.

I have skills and qualifications but to me a talent is something like playing an instrument or being a trapeeze artist.

I make a good curry

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/12/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Software testing (yawn) - but glad to test Locosters' software projects.
Documentation (yawn) - but glad to document Locosters' software projects (if I'm interested in the project).
Mucking around with micro-controllers (PIC processors).
Hate DIY.
Small-scale engineering (involving lathes, drill press, shaper)
Hate DIY.
Cooking.
Hate DIY.

mr henderson

posted on 27/12/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I like this thread, its very "feel good" and I'm hugely impressed with the range of skills everyone has!

I am a trained commerical tailor (I can measure, pin and recommend cuts and shapes but I can't do any alterations myself!)

I also have a degree in Human genetics (although the less said about this the better )

Seems quite a move, from genetics to tailoring. Does a tale hang thereby?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.