Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flat battery! bump start or jump ?????
Kriss

posted on 29/12/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
flat battery! bump start or jump ?????

chaps

after some extensive work over the last three weeks on the R1 Indy, it will be time to start driving her again.

I will imagine the battery will be dead, but whats the best way about getting the car going again.

I am unsure as to wether you can bump start them or what.

any advice, i know its a tad silly post, just dont want to bugger anything

for those what want to know what work has been done, full geo set up, camber, toe, chassis rake, ride height corner weighting etc. cant wait to get her back on track.

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/12/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
i've bumped many a motorbike so i dont see any reason why you cant do it in the car but it would be sooo much eiser to jump it
my 2 pence anyway

blakep82

posted on 29/12/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
if you're worried about damaging gearboxes and stuff ( i don't think they'll be a problem bumb starting, but bike engines are one of lifes mysteries. no one will ever understand them.. ) then jump start

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

A1

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
i was told it can bugger the ecu if you try bump starting them... to get mine going i borrowed the car battery
ended up buying a charger though...

mark chandler

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Scary jump starting, the alternator windings can only handle a small battery so do this at your peril

If you do decide to jump start unplug the regulator, once its going and the jump leads are off plug back in.

Better to let it charge or bump.

Regards Mark

Shamrock GS

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't be a problem bump starting but make sure you have a decent hill / run as it will take a bit to get the fuel squirting, esp if its been sitting a while. (Might be a problem if you have an electric fuel pump). Stick it in 3rd and off you go. Goes without saying that someone needs to be in the driver seat and someone else pushing!

At the end of the day, however a charged battery is the safer and easier option. Go and buy a new one plus a trickle charger. Not expensive from halfords and they have a sale on!

Happy New year

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Kriss

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
cool, will get on the bump start if its dead.

bump in third right?

minitici

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Some bike engines don't like any kickback when starting. This tends to destroy the starter clutch. (Hayabusas certainly don't like it).
JoelP

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
you can jump it, but not off a running car apparently. If the car wasnt running, it the bike engine wouldnt even know it was being jumped, as it would still only see 13V or whatever a standing battery is.

Trickle solar charger at my local trade place was £7+vat!

ashg

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
it may sound like a stupid answer but why dont you just charge the battery?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/12/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

it may sound like a stupid answer but why dont you just charge the battery?

Far from stupid it's actually the BEST answer. A flat battery ( really flat) will be much healthier with a slow steady charge at 4 amps or so than boiling it's tits off with a 70 amp alternator charging it up.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

A1

posted on 29/12/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
are you using a car or bike battery?
the chargers for sealed gel batteries are a bit more methinks

Kriss

posted on 29/12/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
only thought if it today and was thinking, "I wonder if she is going to start after being left for so long".

As a result, I thought I would ask whats best practice. Will see how she feels once its ready to start, if it wont jump into life, then i will buy a charger.

its a tiny bike battery, and since owning the car i have had no need to look at the terminals etc. its probably a cheapie anyway!

rotax78

posted on 29/12/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with your original starting question, but do you mind telling me more details about your new geomtry setup? what measurements did you end up with? and at whose suggestion? Just being nosey, knowledge is power and all that. Cheers Simon
mark chandler

posted on 29/12/08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
"you can jump it, but not off a running car apparently. If the car wasnt running, it the bike engine wouldnt even know it was being jumped, as it would still only see 13V or whatever a standing battery is. "

Not true I am afraid, the bike alternator will try and charge the car battery when the engine fires up, this can fry the alternator windings on the bike engine as the car battery is a much greater load, hence unplug the regulator if doing this.

BenB

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
The advice I was always given re bike engines and flat batteries was to jump start off a non-running car (otherwise the regulator fries if the other car is running) and not to bump start cos you'll shag the starter and / or gearbox +/- alternator. Might be scare stories but is it worth finding out??
britishtrident

posted on 30/12/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
If the battery is completely flat don't do either you must charge it even a little first.
This applies to anything fitted with an alternator.
Reason is alternators cannot charge a completely flat battery.

Old fashioned dynamos could charge old style batteries from completely flat.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Kriss

posted on 30/12/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
well, turned the ignition, dash booted up, dropped the clutch, pressed start and she fired into life and a nice idle instantly!

as for set up we have gone for

front ride height - 150 mm
rear ride height - 160 mm

front camber - 1.9 deg
rear camber - 1 deg

toe out of 1mm (i think, will confirm)

4 clicks front dampers
6 clicks rear dampers

its very nimble now, the original set up (a'la mr darby) was hilarious. mega low ride height, different left and right ride heights cambers of up to 1.7 deg difference.

will report when the weather is better to see how it feels, just feels higher now.

main reason for ride height increase was to stop the wish bones for pointing up when cornering, they were barely flat even with no one in the car!

JoelP

posted on 31/12/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
"you can jump it, but not off a running car apparently. If the car wasnt running, it the bike engine wouldnt even know it was being jumped, as it would still only see 13V or whatever a standing battery is. "

Not true I am afraid, the bike alternator will try and charge the car battery when the engine fires up, this can fry the alternator windings on the bike engine as the car battery is a much greater load, hence unplug the regulator if doing this.

how sure are you on that? Cos thats not how i understand it. In a bike i thought the alternator always produces full whack, and the regulator dumps the excess as heat. Hence not overloading the regulator with an 'undumpable' amount of charge from a car alternator. Cant see it making any difference if its trying to charge the car battery, the voltage it sees from the car battery is the same as the voltage it sees in its own battery, so in reality it would just dump less in the regulator and actually not get as hot.

Where am i wrong?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.